“Outstanding!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
kent
“Outstanding!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

I had booked this hotel directly from their website, and from the first contact they provided excellent customer service.
When I arrived, a sea facing room had become available, and I jumped at the chance of swopping rooms! There was absolutely nothing wrong with the original room I had booked, but a sea facing room just wasn't available at the time of booking. Huge comfortable bed, lovely soft bed linen, very efficient air con, and ample storage space. My only quibble was the shower, that produced a weak stream of tepid water. I'm not sure why the water pressure was so poor, but I did pass my comments onto the owner at check out.

Diane, the general manager, warmly greeted me, and made sure I was comfortably settled in to my vast room.
I had lunch, dinner and breakfast at the Atlantis and every meal was excellent and ample. The standard and quality of the food was the best I had in my whole 2 week trip to Barbados. The wine list was very good, and reasonably priced.
This is a quiet hotel in stunning surroundings and well suited to those who want to "get away from it all" while enjoying excellent personal service in comfortable surroundings. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: stayed in the Glenbigh room, a delight!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank mcpinder

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

So first things first: sorry but Im not a great lover of the Caribbean (except on a boat sailing the islands which I do for three weeks every year).
So we catch a boat from Bridgetown and need somewhere to stay a few days. We stayed at The Atlantis last year and liked it; its much nicer on the eastern side of the island.
So a return visit was inevitable. This time round the experience was even better. The feel good factor was due entirely due to Diane (manageress) and staff (from waiters to technician who fixed the air con); such nice, genuine people who are professional and skilled in their roles.
The views from the hotel over the ocean are magnificent (and noisy; light sleepers need to bring ear plugs or have another rum punch or both).
I tried to get into Bajan food at the restaurant and it just was' nt for me but they do a bread and butter pudding which was outstanding !
This is a comfortable, friendly, low key hotel with a lovely pool. Its not grand or pretentious, so if your looking for glitz, go west coast ( but stay away from the ego maniac owner at Sandy Lane: see my review). On our stay thr air con wasnt working first night, tv not working ( but wifi good so watched tv on ipads) and shower was barely acceptable. All of which is telling you that services need upgrading but rooms are spacious and well equipped and everywhere is clean.

Worst point: vile orange juice at breakfast; dont give it to the kids they will become crazed monsters. Best point: Diane running to hug you like a long lost relative (my own family would benefit from example, rather than the " oh its him" approach).
Best thing to do: stroll to Bathsheba village, it is stunning, very young children play ing on lawns in front of ocean, a delight: all so happy and energetic (remember that ?, no nor me), wonderful characters, Rastafrin with monkey selling jewellery (and no I wasnt taking drugs, its true), coconut seller with fresh coconuts from wheelbarrow (delicious on a warm day with anecdotes thrown in; priceless). Fantastic simple church that is packed on a Sunday. Little road traffic unlike west coast. Beautiful sea shore with large rocks and an old toilet block perched on one (redundant now thanks to main drainage I assume).

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs (sea !)
3 Thank Hohum
east sussex uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

Our second stay here in a room called "joes river " with a huge lounge and bathroom , we stayed for 4 nights and very quickly we came to feel it was our -albeit temporary - home.
Staff led by Diane are great , Andrew the owner ever present , the views of the fabulous beach
The breakfasts, lunch and dinner are all enjoyable to dine outside is one of lifes pleasures.
The area is simple , not built up, wild like Barbados used to be when we began coming here 35 years ago,we were very sad to leave , even though we were going to stay at the sandy lane.
Absolutely recommended we will return next year , incidentally the cove restaurant just along the beach is a great alternative for lunch.
Wish we were there now .

Room Tip: Joes river if you like a quiet room They donrt have a fitness centre but I couldn't zero it.
3 Thank alanEastSussexUk
Key West, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

We consider Barbados our second home so when we visit, we "stay put" rather than touring around. The hotel atmosphere, including staff, ambiance, and stunning setting make us never want to leave! Wonderful coastline walks right from the door. Fabulous fresh Atlantic breezes and the soothing sounds of the waves create instant relaxation. The rooms are gorgeous, huge and have lovely decor and great bathrooms. We stay, however, in Upper Capernum, which wouldn't suit everyone. It is a bit more rustic, not quite as luxurious but the balcony alone makes up for it. It is truly like living in Barbados but with all the hotel amenities a few steps away. It is also set quite near the pool and at times it feels like a private pool! (well, not on the weekends or in the busy season). The louvered window open directly onto exquisite ocean views...we never turned on the AC!

We are always greeted like long lost friends but that same charming welcome is extended to all guests. It is a personal and very Barbadian experience. If you travel to Barbados and you do not visit the East Coast, you have missed the opportunity of a lifetime to see the "real" Barbados. It is safe, friendly and full of interesting characters, all of whom welcome you and want to get to know you from the "coconut man" to the rum shop patrons, and even the taxi drivers!

The food, by the way, is excellent. Authentic Bajan specialties but with a sophisticated flair. One day on our way back from a walk, we met up with the farmer's truck in the hotel parking lot delivering fresh local produce to the hotel. We love to visit farmers' markets wherever we travel and here was one that came to us. What fun!

Room Tip: All are lovely. Email the hotel if you have specific preferences. They will take the time to help...
3 Thank Philippatravels
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

We stayed here a couple of years ago, celebrating our wedding anniversary.

I only have good things to say about this hotel, I wouldn't even call it a hotel. It's a house, and they definately make you feel at home. The rooms are big and comfortable with amazing views. Waking up every morning with the sound of the waves is an experience I'll never forget.

We stayed at the Soup Bowl room, which had all the amenities we could ask. Great bed with comfortable pillows. Amazing ocean fron view, iPod docking, flat screen TV, small fridge.
The room includes a simple but nice continental breakfast. And you can always add eggs, sausages, and other delicious things. We didn't try the restaurant, but it looked good.
You can also use the hotel's washing machine and dryer free of charge, which was great for us, because we continued trip and didn't want to spend money on expensive hotel laundry services.

The staff is great, so attentive and always willing to help and advice. Never intrusive.

The hotel is on the other side of the island from the main towns. This is good because it's more quiet and the trip there takes you through the heart of the island (so beautiful!). The downside is that you have to travel quite a lot everyday. But it's an experience and it allows you to get to know many different spots (like Crane beach, undoubtly the best beach on the island).

Wouldn't doubt about staying here again. In fact, I'm looking forward to it.

Room Tip: Try booking the ocean front rooms, they are worth the extra.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Talmi
Horley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

Whilst staying at our house on the West coast of Barbados we decided to have a mini trip.
The hotel facilities were as I expected but the quality of the staff and restaurant food far exceeded all expectations.
It was utterly superb and I could honestly find fault with nothing. The staff's level of charm and attentiveness is unrivalled, especially Adrian, and served to make our stay a true delight.
Thoroughly recommendable.

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank kalkanchick
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

This hotel is located on the East Coast of Barbados and to watch the waves and the sky by night without light pollution is heavenly. Would recommend it to anyone... Staff are delightful and the rooms dreamy.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bathsheba
Beach View
Accra Beach Hotel & Spa
Accra Beach Hotel & Spa
#22 of 49 in Christ Church Parish
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,419 reviews

Been to The Atlantis Hotel? Share your experiences!