The Atlantis Hotel
Sea-U Guest House(Bathsheba)(Great Value!)
$142
$111
Round House Inn(Bathsheba)(Great Value!)
$135
Hotwire.com
Rest Haven Beach Cottages(Bathsheba)(Great Value!)
$51
$167
$163
  • Pool
All Seasons Resort Europa(Sunset Crest)(Great Value!)
$86
  • Pool
The Sandpiper(Saint James Parish)(Great Value!)
$430
$417
Mango Bay All Inclusive(Holetown)(Great Value!)
$409
$395
  • Breakfast included
Fairmont Royal Pavilion(Porters)(Great Value!)
$619
$399
Fairmont.com
$577
$450
Divi Heritage(Saint James Parish)
$80
Hotels.com
All reviewsthe east coastfish potsister hotelsunday buffethis teamfour poster bedtent baythe sea view roomsthe general manageran amazing viewbeautiful roomthe hotel managerbedroom cottagerum punchthis lovely hotelwood floorsan apple
Reviewed June 28, 2011

I stayed here for 2 nights recently. I booked the 3 Boys room after exchanging e-mails with Diane and I'd highly recommend this corner room. If it's not available. the other corner room, Glenbernie is also very nice but the view from 3 Boys is marginally better.

I was there to simply relax and unwind, and OH! What a great place this is! Beautiful rooms, gorgeous views and the magnificent Atlantic just outside. Add to that the friendly and efficient staff and it's just about perfect. Oh and the food's not bad either. I'd mention individual staff but that would take too much space and really, they are ALL super.

At breakfast the second day I happened to mention to Diane that I was looking forward to the buffet lunch. We chatted a bit and she told me that the bar and restaurant would be closed that evening and the next evening since the season was so slow. I had planned to stay at the hotel and not venture out and she offered that the cook could make me some sandwiches for dinner or, better yet, I could make a plate from the buffet and keep it in my fridge for dinner, complimentary.

As it turns out I was the only guest in the hotel and after about 4:30 in the afternoon it was me and the security guard! It was great! Imagine being the only person in this beautiful old restored hotel. A bit of wine from duty free on the restaurant terrace, sunset and the Atlantic undisturbed by anyone. And my dinner plate was delicious.

The next day I met the owner, Andrew and mentioned how nice the rooms were and especially the wood floors; they reminded me both by sight and smell of the floors in our family's old mountain vacation home in northern USA. It turns out the Atlantis floors are hard to find ( and expensive) 14 inch planks from a supplier in New England. I think this is indicative of the care and quality that has gone into the restoration/renovation of this magnificent hotel.

OK, I'm out of room. This is a superb hotel in every aspect.

Room Tip: 3 Boys Room
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Chern
Reviewed June 20, 2011

Barbados has many great hotels and resorts and being in the industry myself, I am probably more critical when it comes to service and expectation of a great holiday.

When I think of my family's experience at Atlantis, I don't remember all the details of the very spacious room, super comfortable bed, wonderful view of the Atlantic Ocean and the rustic fishing village next door, I see the smiling faces of each and every staff member who are genuinely happy to see you and who go above and beyond anyone's expectation! A special thank you to each and everyone of them for making it an unforgettable Staycation.

Now onto the food which is divine! I have never tasted better fish anywhere on the island...the red snapper served at dinner is a must-have followed closely by the Lamb Shank which falls off of the bone because it is so tender! We also enjoyed the Sunday Lunch buffet where the quality of food and selection is wonderful and even if you don't stay at the Hotel, a definite place that anyone should pencil in on their itinerary!

Anyone who finds fault with this hotel should first examine what they are looking for in a vacation and book their hotel accordingly. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of a commercial, hotel chain but hey, they don't promise too either! If you are looking for an authentic Barbadian holiday with warm and friendly people with clean, well-maintained and very comfortable suites then Atlantis is the place for you!

We can't wait to book another Staycation to see Miss Kathy, Diane, Keisha, Latoya, Denise, Jason, Edward, Mannie, Andrew and all the other wonderful people who made us and our son feel right at home!

Oh and as for the reviewer who noticed rain flies on top of her fridge...let Jason mix you another rum punch which should help put things in perspective!!!

Room Tip: Ocean View Room is worth it!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank TheTraveler083
Reviewed June 16, 2011

We loved our week's stay at The Atlantis from beginning to end. The staff are lovely, it's the only place I've stayed where I've been hugged by the waitresses and the manageress. We stayed in Joe's River which is excellent value for a relaxing suite, no seaviews but the space makes up for that. Yes, it's busy with tourists at lunchtime and quiet in the evening but this is the East coast not the West. Great for exploring on foot or by car, eating well, sketching by the pool, reading your book.......if you want a peaceful retreat to recharge your batteries this is a great choice.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank wintlekent
Reviewed May 16, 2011

This is an interesting property and not in a good way. The overall issue is that the infrastructure and all the key components are there, but pulling it together doesn’t happen and the whole experience seems disjointed. Good one minute and frustratingly bad the next. The management of this hotel don’t seem to understand (or care) that a series of small annoying incidents form the overall lasting impression that customers get of a hotel.

When we check out of a hotel that we intend to review I do mention the things that I’m going to write on Tripadvisor. I think that’s a fair thing to do as it gives the hotel the right of reply right there and then. No surprises stored up for later and if they’ve got a sarky reply I’d much rather hear it to my face. They never do! Most say: ‘Thanks, we’ll sort it for next time’. Exactly what you want to hear. But not at the Atlantis.

There were a number of things we did try to give feedback on. Andrew (owner or manager?) wasn’t interested in listening or discussing at all. Blank looks. No response. Either he’s heard it all before or simply doesn’t care – they take your money and are quite happy if you have a good stay or an indifferent one. It was a real disappointment.

There are some good things about it:
• We stayed in Capernaum Upper, a huge suite/apartment slightly away from the main building. The furniture and the finish is to a high standard. It’s on the same level as the pool with a small balcony with four rocking chairs outside. There is a lounge with a sofa and two arm chairs. One bedroom has a queen size bed, the second has two singles. The bathroom is large with twin sinks and a shower. No bath. There is a kitchen area off the lounge – there were the basics and lots more besides. TV in the main bedroom, (slightly annoying on a wet day that there isn’t one in the lounge). Air con in the two bedrooms.
• Some of the staff were lovely. We were given a warm welcome by a lady called Diane. A promising start, but we only saw her once more during our three night stay. Some of the staff at dinner were friendly – the man who ran the bar warrants a mention. At breakfast there was a helpful waiter. I didn’t get his name but we talked about ‘The Devil Wears Prada’.
• The hotel location is amazing – yes it’s noisy but what else would you expect right next to the sea?

And the rest:
• The pool is beautifully located– it suits the size of the hotel. The downside is that it needs more attention and cleaning. We saw a piece of bark in the pool mid-afternoon one day, by mid morning on the following day it was still there. It looked like a dead bird! There are two sofas with comfy squashy cushions at one end of the pool terrace. They look nice from a distance but close up in need of some protection from the birds or at least a daily clean.
• If you’re staying in Capernaum Upper, have a look on top of the fridge. There were dozens of dead flies on top of it at the end of April. We mentioned it at check out. It was pretty gross.
• There are lots of windows in Capernaum Upper – all have shutters but they are in various states of repair so closing some of them to keep the mosquitoes out can be hard.
• Breakfast is included in the room rate. You get two choices – a bread basket or a fruit platter with salt-cod, (a local delicacy). It’s a bit restrictive for a hotel of this size. The bread was good – different types of warm freshly baked bread – but you can only eat so much. It seems a little strange that there isn’t a small buffet with some fruit/cereal. You can order extra items like fruit or pancakes. They aren’t expensive, but that isn’t the point.
• There are a lot of staff at this hotel, but the service is patchy – occasionally it works but on the whole it doesn’t. At breakfast there are more staff than customers. They think it’s ok to eat behind the bar, read magazines or chat to each other. At lunch time Atlantis is mobbed by tourists coming to see Bathsheba. We had lunch once – nice but a wait for food. Dinner was disappointing. The food wasn’t all that. The Roundhouse is better.
• There is a big sign banning smoking on the terrace (a good thing) but we spotted the man running reception smoking outside reception during breakfast – nice.
• On our last day we had breakfast on the terrace. The whole way through it a member of staff hoovered/floor polished with a noisy machine outside reception and then in the bar area. Why? We mentioned this on check-out. The explanation was that there’d been a leak by the kitchen that needed to be attended to. Rubbish. We had a look while the work was going on. The area the man covered was pretty wide and there were not pools of water.

To conclude – this place could be good – but it isn’t. It was a real disappointment. Don’t rush.

We didn’t see the rooms at Roundhouse but that might be a better bet as the service there seemed much better. The food certainly way

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
11  Thank AbsandStu
moondance2010, Owner at The Atlantis Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2011

The writer has every right to write what she feels is her impression of any service or experience.
In response, I met the writer for literally 30 seconds as her husband was paying the bill!!
I am sure we have all been in a situation when we have met someone and immediately you get a bad vibe - well this was one of those cases. Perhaps she was also perplexed that it had pretty much rained for 2 weeks in Barbados and just needed to off load on someone or some place.
As owner, perhaps I need some lessons on dealing with criticism, but to have only met this person for literally seconds and have only negatives come my way from her - How really would she have liked me to respond?

My wife, who was in the office at the same time that she entered gave me one of her looks - you know those looks - the ones that tell you to be careful what you say!! so I said very little, and perhaps what I said was not what she wished to hear.

As for the flies on the fridge - RAIN FLIES - I actually took photos of them as the writer did say that she would be letting the world know of us on Trip Adviser!!!! I guess I cannot blame her for not knowing the difference between rain flies and common flies but rain flies literally survive for a few hours in life and are very common in the Caribbean when it rains - which unfortunately for these guests it had been doing for days on end. I would also like to point out that she herself an average height lady said that she had NOT noticed them because of her height but her husband who was a very tall man was the one to see them.
As for the hoover at breakfast time - there was puddles of water on the walkway as a result of our cleaner cleaning - a mop perhaps would have been a better option for the cleaner to use, but he chose to use his wetvac to suck up the water, leaving the walkway dry - God forbid if someone had slipped ( especially this writer ) as the water problem would then have become a legal issue.

Her comments are useful in order to see a customers prospective of what we do, but until one runs a hotel or restaurant in a remote location with constant salt from the ocean blasting buildings, bus service ( that deliver staff to work ) being inefficient, thus the reason for there being perhaps too many staff on a morning, I do think it a bit unfair to be so critical in this manner - The writer is clearly a critic and perhaps a better ( more friendly way ) of tackling criticism of a property would be to put some time aside to discuss with management your issues - not raise them in 60 seconds as you are checking out of a hotel.

Finally, The east coast of Barbados is stunning - a potential visitor has a choice of The Atlantis Hotel, Sea U guest House The Round House or Edgewater to stay at - we all try our best to try and ensure our visitors leave with more positives than negatives, but sometimes our best is not good enough for some people!

I am sure that if the sun had shone a little more than it had during this guests stay, perhaps we may have had a more productive discussion about her grievances.

Reviewed May 2, 2011

We have been going to the fish pot restaurant for years also owned by Andrew warden so
We were curious about his new hotel and went to see it last year having a very good lunch
As well as seeing some rooms-all clean and quite spacious -we were impressed.
This year we stayed for 2nights , next year it will be three.
Wel loved it, the room with a sensational view of the sea, the foaming lively sea it must be said a little noisy at night but actually we slept well.
Joes river another rom we saw was back from the sea with a separate sitting area would be quieter-it's your choice.
Food excellent , service with a smile and a laugh or two along the way pool very clean , again with the view of the bay, Andrew chats to the guests as do the other staff including manny ward who keeps a keen eye on the service as does Diane from the front desk.
It's simple here, ok no night life but to start your holiday here is a good idea and the food and the staff and the location on Bathsheba bay makes this a special place.
By the way breakfasts were delicious breadrcumbed slightly spicy flying fish with cooked tomatoes-perfecto.was our choice with a bread basket with some warm delicious cake
You can walk from the hotel along the beach and not see one high rise hotel just the chattel houses and a few typical small bars up the road andromeda gardens about 10 mins.

Room Tip: Joes river for space and quiet ,
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple