“Dog friendly...good ale and food”
Review of Glenuig Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Glenuig
Glenuig Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Glenuig B&B and Inns
Scotland
“Dog friendly...good ale and food”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We stopped for a drink after walking in the area and were impressed by the menu and so stopped by the next day for food. We were not disappointed......good food and real ale and friendly service. Will be back to try the accommodation another time.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Great Malvern, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I came in from Fort William on a freezing february day. the fire was roaring in the fire, keeping the bar and restaurant comfy.
The room was large, but plain. Comfortable and adequate. Everything was clean.
This is a very quiet spot and at night there was not a sound to distub my sleep.
The evening meal of Cullen Skink soup and curried Thai chicken was pleasant and washed down with a light pint of beer which suited me well.
Breakfast was served early at my request so that i could catch an early ferry. Really helpful!
I think my only slight comment would be that the heating didnt come on early enough, so the room was cold in the morning. The weather was, however, exceptionaly cold!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank RL K
Aylesbury
Reviewed February 25, 2013

A pub/hotel totally out of keeping with the highlands. More the sort of thing you would expect to find in Brighton. Dreadful so-called organic beers, no lagers and when one of our party asked for one, she received a lecture on CO2 release!
Expensive food that pretends to be a healthy option.
The prices are unbelievably high - 1 pint, a half pint and two glasses of wine cost £17!
Not to be recommended.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
23 Thank Barrie M
Scotland
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I have been a visitor to Glenuig Inn since the seventies when we arrived by boat. This was my first visit since 2008 when it was renovated and I was not disappointed. We were a party of 5 sea kayakers (including my adult daughter). We stayed 3 nights and ate in on each occasion. We received a warm welcome from the owner. The comfortable spacious rooms are in a matching building beside the hotel itself. Each room had a practical large entrance vestibule where luggage, wet coats, boots etc could be left. The room was very cosy and warm. The floor was laminate, which I prefer to a carpet in a hotel room. The beds were comfortable. There was a kettle, hairdryer and small lcd TV in the room. The bathroom was spotless with bath and thermostatic shower with plenty of hot water. There is a drying room for wet outdoor gear situated at the far end of the room block.

The lounge, bar and dining room were heated by stoves that burned compressed sawdust and wood shaving "logs" from the mill at nearby Corpach and kept the hotel feeling very cosy. Free WiFi was available in public rooms. There was a good O2 2G signal outside the hotel. We were delighted to find three Cairngorm Brewery real ales on draught and were told 4 additional pumps with other varieties were available in the summer season. The meals were superb, made from nutritious ingredients, some very local like the prawns tails from Mallaig and home baked bread. We can recommend the prawn tail and Moroccan mezze starters and the salmon fillet with salsa sauce (especially tasty), lamb tagine and steak and ale pie mains. Despite sea kayaking each day and coming in feeling ravenous, we were totally filled by a starter and main course, so cannot comment on the deserts. Salad accompaniments were very fresh and served with balsamic vinegar. Breakfast incuded several fruit juices, muesli, cereals, homemade bread, fresh fruit and berry salad and a choice of pancakes (with bananas and maple syrup) porridge, kippers or scrambled egg (with smoked salmon and especially tasty). Coffee was made from grounds and filtered and was excellent.

It was good to see that food was served between 12 and 9pm. we were late off the water on two evenings and this was not a problem. I remember the Old Glenuig Inn stopped serving lunch at 130pm (and for those nostalgic for the former inn, their idea of salad was a can of Heinz mixed salad).

The Glenuig Inn is situated in the heart of one of the finest parts of the west coast of Scotland for those that like the outdoors and wonderful scenery. The beatiful white shell sand beach with offshore island at Samalaman is a short walk away and we lanched our sea kayaks from the hotel.

The Glenuig Inn is not part of a bland international chain of hotels designed and managed by a committee. It is one man's vision of what a small highland hotel should be and as such it may not be to everyone's taste. However, the Glenuig Inn is a very welcome addition to the West Coastof Scotland. It gives a real choice that rises above the mediocrity that Scotland has often been associated with. I rate it as highly in its price sector as other outstanding Scottish hotels and B&Bs (which I have recently stayed in) are in theirs: Gleneagles, One Devonshire Gardens, Knockinaam Lodge, Toravaig House, Broadbay House and Garleton Lodge.

I intend to return with my wife and I would never have stayed in the Old Glenuig Inn. To those that hanker after the Old Inn (with its dark interior, windows dripping condensation and grease, Tennents lager and lime, fish and chips with mushy peas, wet floored toilets smelling of urine etc) why not save yourself a drive and stop off at the public bar at the Clachaig Inn in Glencoe? It too is very good at what it does. Thank goodness for increasing choice in Scotland.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank dew1n
Sheffield
Reviewed February 9, 2013

After my last visit to the Glenuig Inn I was very sad. This Inn used potentially be my favourite in the UK, an intimate, charming place with a feeling of continuity and history, and used by locals and visitors alike. It had a small intimate bar, with an open fire and a homely if slightly ram-shackled feel. It was quite magical. But that was the past, it is now "modernised" and has lost any real feel of being of its place, belonging. Ok it can cater for more coach parties and people who like things to feel the same as elsewhere, but I don't go to Glenuig for any of that. As for the prices, they are also of another place! Searching not too far away you can still find some of the charm of a West Coast Inn, but not at the Glenuig Inn, so just beware if it is a while since you were there last, that wonderful intimate place has been obliterated.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
22 Thank captain_jcab
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We only had a drink in this pub. The setting is amazing and the pub was very nicely kitted out although I tend to agree with some of the reviewers that it is a touch sterile. The barman was pleasant and efficient but, like many others, I was shocked by the prices (and I am used to paying central London prices). A pint of ale, cup of tea and shortbread came to £9. I also noted that the B&B prices were what you would expect in central London. However, the beer was very good (and there were 3 choices of real ale on the pumps which is unusual in Scotland and even more surprising for somewhere so remote) and we were not at all rushed. We didn't eat here but it was good to know that they served food all day (12 til 9). Definitely worth a visit but you’d have to be rich for it to be a regular haunt!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank beeza1
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I have to say all the people that are rating this Inn as good have not visited there in the past.
I have been going to Glenuig for 18 years and the present owners have Destroyed all the good atmosphere out of the Glenuig Inn, even the locals dont go there any more.

When I visited this year there was no lager no crisps and dare I say it NO atmosphere, and the price for two beers and two small bottles of lemonade was £12.50 we aint in London but we seem to be paying like it.
If you look at the website you think oh that looks good but in reality the new owners have DESTROYED one of the most special places in Scotland and I can only hope someone with some sense buys back and restores what was one of the best pubs on the west cost.

I for one will not be going back to Glenuig Inn until the ignoramus owner gets bought out and someone who uderstnds Scotland and the West coast is Inn

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
24 Thank fenton b
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glenuig
Mingarry Park Luxury Accommodation & Restaurant
#2 of 2 in Glenfinnan
Morar Hotel
Morar Hotel
#1 of 1 in Morar

Been to Glenuig Inn? Share your experiences!