“Police Threat!!!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kilconquhar
EDINBURGH
“Police Threat!!!”
Reviewed May 12, 2009

Looking forward to our 4 night stay at Kilconquhar Castle for our Easter Break where we had booked a 3 bed bungalow as we stayed in one previously for my father's 70th Birthday with all the family and had a great time!

This is where the good news ends........Arrived mid afternoon and proceeded to try and check-in to be told that we hadn't booked a bungalow but a castle suite situated on the 3rd floor of the castle with no lift access. I smelled a rat straight away as I had managed to secure a £30 discount per night on the bungalow when I initially made the booking and surprise surprise was told that the room rate of £135 was that of a castle suite. I asked to speak to the reservations manager to be told she had gone home for the day (3pm) We were asked to go for a walk and come back in 30 mins where I assumed they would have ammended their error, but after a short walk we went back in to be told there were no available bungalows and we were stuck with the castle suite. I explained that my mother, who is disabled and my father, who is awaiting a knee replacement would not manage the 3 flights of stairs to the apartment on the 3rd floor, so much to the dissapointment of my wife and 3 young children I asked for a full refund of £540 as we would travel up to St Andrews and book in somewhere more suitable.
Reception staff asked me to put my refund request in writing which I duly did there and then. I decided to go out to the front of the hotel and made a few phone calls to book other accomodation which I managed to do and then returned to reception to get my refund and go.
However this is where their true colours really shone through. Walked in to reception to be confronted by my 3 young children all crying and my wife standing in disbelief. The reservation manageress had turned up even though I had been advised she had went home for the day an hour and a half earlier!
In my absence she had told my wife that she was going to call the POLICE unless we left the premises!!! I managed to hold it together through the red mist decending to ask for the full refund, to be told that they were going to keep my inital deposit of £135.00 as it was my error!
A WARNING to all who decide to book this hell hole of a place. Make sure when you make your inital booking you get the exact form of accomodation i.e. bungalow or flat, specified on the booking form as this witch of a woman advised that our booking form only stated we had booked a 3 BED unit, which I have since investigated and found out this is their standard wording on the booking form, so I would be very interested to hear of any other similar booking problems from anyone.
In my profession as a national news photographer I have photographed so many crminals, murders, rapists, drug dealers etc. and the one thing they all do when you point a camera in their direction is hide their identity which is a very good indication of admission of guilt. I'll let you make your own judgement with the attached photo!

P.S. I would just like to say a HUGE thanks to St Andrews Bay Hotel and Resort for their fantastic customer service and warm welcome after our Nightmare at Kilconquhar.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
10 Thank JACKPHOTO

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Glasgow
Reviewed January 12, 2009

Nice location, good food and standard of accommodation but, without doubt, the worst customer services experience ever. The reception staff are totally unhelpful, argumentative and down right rude.

We will never return to this holiday location again! Be warned!!!

• Liked — The Exit sign
  • Disliked — The Reception Staff
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank LordGeddes
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed September 14, 2008

My husband and I booked our stay through RCI and chose this location as it is close to St. Andrews. Some of the reviews I read scared me, thinking we made a poor decision, but I am very happy to report our week was wonderful and the two bedroom villa we had was a lot more than expected!

We arrived on a Saturday, straight from a flight from London. We rented a car with GPS (A NECESSITY!) and made the drive in a little over 45 minutes. It is a beautiful driveway through the property and check in was easy. Our two bedroom/two bath villa, #24, was about 1200 sq ft and overlooked the horse pasture with the hills in the background. Out the bedrooms you could see the castle. There was a slight musty smell upon entrance, but you have to remember you are in Scotland, which is rainy and dank! Our villa looked like it had just recently undergone a renovation, the carpet and flooring through the villa, the kitchen and bathrooms all looked new and sparkly clean. The kitchen had granite countertops, ample dishware and the appliances were all in new, working condition. The sunken living room had a nice new tv, leather couch and two chairs. It was very large and would have been perfect for a family of four. The two bedrooms were nicely sized, one with twin beds, large closet, small tv and a vanity and the master had a queen, with another tv, and large closet. The bathrooms were very large, one had a jacuzzi tub, toilet and sink and the master had a tub/shower combo, toilet and sink with large vanity. The washer/dryer in the entry way worked great, as we had laundry from our week in London. We were very impressed. The one thing I was not impressed with was the heating, the wall units only managed to heat the walls, so we wore the terry cloth robes they provided and the blankets in the closets! Hey, we saved on the electricity costs, that and we lost power in a nasty windstorm the night before we left!

The grounds are very nice and the restaurant was good. We had dinner there twice. The weekends were definitely busier than during the week, so make reservations. My husband used the driving range one day and he said it didn't look like it got much use, but he was happy with it.

The location was nice. We were about 20 minutes away from St. Andrews and it took us less than hour to get to and from the Edinburgh airport. We toured around the Kingdom of Fife and it is a beautiful area. We made most of our dinners in our villa (to save money) and the closest grocery store was about 10 minutes away. You most definitely need a car if you are going to stay here. There was a bus that came through Kilconquhar, but I am not sure how often, where it exactly went and plus it would take you about 20 minutes to walk to the stop! We signed up for the Edinburgh city tour that departs from the resort on Monday's, but we were the only ones to sign up so it didn't happen. We instead drove to Kirkcaldy and took the train in.

All in all, we were quite pleased with our stay and hope to visit again in the future.

• Liked — Location and size of villa
  • Disliked — Heating didn't work well
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Brenda V
Salem, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 10, 2008

We had coveted a stay at Kilconquhar for several years and were thrilled when we acquired a week in late April '08. A word of warning, though, there seems to be a "once every five years" restriction on timeshare exchanges (one MIGHT be able to circumvent that?) because the resort is so close to being fully booked year-round- understandably!
Our villa was like having our own 3BR/3BA home in this spectacular area of Fife- a very desirable location proximate to the coast, St. Andrews, (even) Edinburgh and so much more. As stated elsewhere, yes, it IS rural; but that was also part of the estate's charm. We found our "neighbors" cordial and quiet and staff were always most willing to help with questions about washer/dryer (a bit confusing for us, too), other amenities and the necessary "rules" of the self-sufficient environment...I don't expect such accommodations to be run as hotels or B & Bs.
It certainly didn't hurt that we had magnificent weather! We had guests/relatives join us for three of our seven nights and they were similarly impressed with the room- all BRs were large and comfortable- and parlour/ dining/ patio arrangements. We self-catered most of the time- I'd suggest finding the Coop (in which town?) or Morrison's in St. Andrews for "full" provisioning; but DO NOT MISS the nearby Ardross Farm store for cheeses, fresh produce and wonderful frozen meals. We were a bit underwhelmed by the on-site bistro for meals, but the atmosphere was charming and they had a well-stocked pub. We did not utilise the recreation facilities, but could see them as very enjoyable for families wishing to "wear out" the kids. The grounds were lovely and, thanks to TA reviewers, we were not surprised by the (understandable and justified) energy charge for our week's usage.
If one has realistic expectations (at least in the timeshare context), the only disappointment with Kilconquhar (IMHO) is not being able to return more often than every five years.

• Liked — Everything!
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
Salt Lake City
Reviewed July 4, 2008

Looking on trip advisor this resort got either an excellent or it sucked. So I we were somewhat apprehensive about using our timeshare. However, we were definitely not disappointed. We were fortunate to stay in the Castle (only 9 rooms), there are 75 patio homes that are usually used for timeshare. The resort was very nice. However, if you don't have a car, public transportation from this point would be a problem. Its about 20 mins from St. Andrews and that's why we booked it. We didn't really use the resort facilities, since we played golf four or the six days we were there. We did stop and hit range balls on the private driving range at the resort, just to say that we did. Aside from trying to figure how to turn the electricity on and other stuff, the resort was great. The people were friendly and nice. The onsite pub is called the Cockage, and we arrived the first night about 930pm. They still made use dinner and feel welcome. After golf one night we didn't get back to 10pm, and the kitchen was closed, but the waitress on duty still made us a sandwich and dessert. When we couldn't figure out how to work the washer/dryer (just don't ask) they sent someone right over and showed us how to use it (eventhough I read the operator's manual from cover to cover). If I could characterize the resort I would say it was very quaint. However, as I previously stated you need a car, you are in the middle of nowhere. The wrong side of the road isn't so bad after one day. Just made sure you get a car with a navigation system, otherwise good luck. The resort did charge for elec usuage and to access the internet. However, this was about $10 per day. In Hawaii to self park you car it's more. Hey my dollar is only 50% of a pound, so if you are pinching pennys, or pence, get over it. In closing, I thought the resort was great. The pattern we got into was to play golf during the day, go out for dinner somewhere and then finiish the evening at the Cockage with Chocolate Pudding (Chocolate Lava Cake) and a local Whiskey (Scotch), four nights in a row. It was heaven on earth. Our first trip to Scotland, friendly people (though some you won't understand), beautiful scenery, and accomodations that matched. Maybe I'm just easy to please.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
scotland
Reviewed June 11, 2008

having been a timeshare owner for a number of years and been fobbed off with second rate resorts every year, I was pleasantly surprised with this hidden gem. Great staff, lovely villa, we stayed in 103 which looked out over fields and had a conservatory.

We all enjoyed a BBQ night which was great value and we even got a free drink! The resort is very big on the whole 'green thing' which is good, but you do have to take your things to the recycling centre, it was quite close to us, but could be far away depending on the location of your villa.

Best of all it is near Elie, which is quite possibly one of the best villages on the east coast. The beach is great, and the kids just loved it.

Overall a really fabulous holiday, enjoyed by all, we will be back!

• Liked — spacious accommodation, gorgeous kitchen
  • Disliked — no broadband
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank trulyscruptious
Scotland
Reviewed April 27, 2008

We stayed here for one night which was called a Murder Mystery evening with dinner, bed and breakfast.

I should have realised, with the problems I had booking in the first place, that the business was badly run and is really just a time share setup and not a good quality hotel.

We followed a Tesco van up the driveway and it parked in front of the castle (strange) so we did too. The reception isn't in the castle, it's round the back of the swimming pool which really is strange for somewhere that professes to be upmarket. This business is not upmarket only expensive.

The food was acceptable but for the money I would have expected more that one thin slice of beef as the main course. Also it was impossible to get second helpings of vegetables.

The murder mystery was badly organised. No information was supplied when you booked in so you had to ring round to find out what time it started etc.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank mairidh
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kilconquhar
Fairmont St Andrews
#1 of 1 in Drumoig
Lomond Hills Hotel
Lomond Hills Hotel
#1 of 1 in Freuchie

Been to Kilconquhar Castle Estate and Country Club? Share your experiences!