“New year stay standard not as it was”

and 1 more site!
Kilconquhar Castle Estate and Country Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kilconquhar
Musselburgh eastlothian
“New year stay standard not as it was”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

We stayed with friends in rosé cottage over new year bedrooms were very damp and cold and en suite had no radiator so freezing heating had to be on all the time . As we were paying for heating and electricity we had to be careful so as not to incur huge charges. We were original timeshare owners here and have stayed in many different villas over the years and have always had pleasant stays however money needs to be spent on estate as most things are tired and jaded. The pools showers are very inadequate and Passage from changing room to pool very cold and slippy with cracked and missing tiles in many places. Upgrades are needed all over estate. The entrance to rosé cottage was simply a wet and muddy quagmire and not a paved road. Cars could easily. Get stuck in mud. Nota five star estate as it was years a ago.

Room Tip: Choose a newer built villa which is probably not as tired
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Honda28

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

Stayed in this resort in December 2012. Accommodation is clean and good. However I find very disappointing that addition charge applies for electricity used and never seen it happen in any other resort worldwide where we stayed. Taken into account that we’ve been in the room just 4 evenings our charge came to about £80.00 and it is very poor marketing turned travellers off this place .

I do not see myself coming back to this resort and would suggest to whom is planning to stay there take into account this charge which in full stay could cost the same value as cost of accommodation.
Sorry would not recommend this place to any of my friends.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Anna E
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

Nice 3 bed villa, spacious, clean and with a great location. I was too late to get a ticket for Hogmanay party, would have been nice if they reserved a couple as an option for guests. This wasn't too bad though, ended up in local pub which was nice.

• Stayed December 2012
stoke-on-trent uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

Just arrived home after a 2 night stay for my brothers wedding. Check in was fast and we had room 13 room was basic double bed coffee and tea and a tv and ensuite, but was very comfy and warm. Staff were great friendly and helpful. Even meal the night before wedding couldnt be faulted and the wedding food was great. They did my brother Ken and his new wife Gayle proud

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank teenba
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

We stayed from 5.11.12 for 3 nights in a club room which are marketed as luxury. Granted we got a late deal, but believe me I would have rather been in a travel lodge. The room was basic, with numerous cobwebs, dust on lamps, pictures and wooden headboard. There was a greasy head mark on the wall above the headboard which was very off putting. One of the mirrors in the bedroom was cracked and the two seats were mismatched dining chairs. The bathroom walls had watermarks and dried flaking paint. The taps had no tops to them, and the shower had seen better days. I filled in a customer feedback form and aired my concerns to the receptionist on checking out only to be informed club rooms didn't have as many stars as the lodges/villas.(I have previously spent a wonderful weekend in self catering accommodation with no issues). I am still waiting for response from kilconquhar to my complaint. On the plus side the food at the white cockade was excellent and the breakfast waiter was fabulous. My advice, stay elsewhere but visit the White Cockade Bistro for dinner.

• Stayed November 2012
3 Thank AChomraich
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

I had booked this hotel for my wedding on the 17th of November and I had a bit of a nightmarish experience when I first arrived, I had been communicating with the hotel since January to make sure all the accommodation would be what we required and expected for a really special two night stay, the accommodation that we were shown when contemplating booking the place for the wedding was most certainly not what we received when we arrived.
When I first went up to the Castle suite I thought that I had gotten lost as there was building works in the hallway with wires hanging out the wall, the room door was wide open with the lights on inside so I had presumed that there were workmen inside so went back down to reception to confirm where our dream wedding suite was, I was shown back up to the room where one of the reception staff checked the suite to make sure there was no one in it and told me that this was indeed my suite much to my horror, the Castle suite we were given on the first floor was in desperate need of an upgrade and looked very tatty and did not have the four poster bed we had specified as part of the accommodation booking, I went down to reception to express that the accommodation that we were given was not what we had specified and the fact that we had building works going on outside the room was completely unacceptable I explained that I was meant to be entertaining people there and that this was where everyone was going to get ready for my wedding in the morning and that the rooms I had been shown when booking had been of a totally different standard, the receptionist then informed me that there was nothing she could do about it as she did not have the authority to change accommodation and proceeded to try and track down someone that did have the authority, the receptionist eventually contacted the owner that told her that there was nothing that could be done about this tonight and that we would have to contact reservations at 9am the next morning, by this time I was starting to get very upset as I felt totally ripped off and helpless to do anything about this as I had so many things happening at the castle in the morning, the whole reason I had booked two nights accommodation in a Castle suite was so I could arrive relax and get everything ready for one of the most important the days of my life with minimal stress, this was obviously not going to be the case as after my partner talking to the owner on the telephone we were informed that we would have to stay the night in the suite and move to alternative accommodation in the morning thus defeating the purpose as instead of me relaxing with my wedding party and getting ready, I was having to coordinate everything between three different locations and move my belongings into a new suite, very very stressful.
I was not the only person to have a bad experience as my partners sister arrived from a very long trip up from London with three young children at 3pm only to be told that she could not book into her accommodation until 4:30pm which to be fair is stated on the website the problem I have with this is that my mother and I had requested people being able to check in slightly early and had been told that this would not be a problem, my sister checked into her accommodation at 2pm so I could not understand why my partners sister was forced to spend an hour and a half in her van in the car park until check in time, the receptionist was also very rude to her, after she did eventually get into her accommodation she found a huge whirlpool bath that would fit her and all the kids, they decided to take advantage of this after the long trip only to find that the hot water tank in the bungalow was not big enough to fill the bath thus rendering it useless, she only found out about this after contacting reception to ask why she had a lack of hot water. A warning to those that wish to book a Club room as well, the showers in these rooms are minuscule so much so that my sister and her partner had to get washed in my mothers bungalow.
On a positive note the rooms are very clean and have everything you would require for a self catering holiday.
Now on to the only reason this place got any rating at all, the actual wedding was fantastic with Bill and his team pulling it off seamlessly and Demetrie, serving breakfast in the morning was very attentive with a very good sense of humour that really cheered me up after such a horrible experience.
I would advise anyone considering having a wedding at this location to book accommodation else where as even if you communicate with the reservations team months in advance and are assured you requests will be met this is just not the case and I found some of the accommodation really quite sub standard.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Weirdgecko
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

My wife and I visited Kingdom of Fife in early october and were very pleased with the property. It lacked internet, which they said they were working on, and we had to pay for our own power. It wasn't much but a surprise that I don't blame the resort. Interval travel should have let us know.The villa was large and the setting was very nice.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kilconquhar
Fairmont St Andrews
Macdonald Rusacks Hotel
Macdonald Rusacks Hotel
#8 of 18 in St. Andrews
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,231 reviews

Been to Kilconquhar Castle Estate and Country Club? Share your experiences!