“First guest of the season”

Auberge l'Ile de France
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Nominingue
Brockville, Canada
“First guest of the season”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This was our first night stop during our P'tit Train du Nord bicycle trip from Mont Laurier during the May long weekend. We were biking with another couple and we all stayed at the Auberge l'Ile de France. We were the only guests in the hotel. The owners were away and Lise took fantastic care of us. The hotel had a shed in the back yard where we locked up our bikes. One bike had a flat and there was a work bench with some tools for bike repairs. We needed a drill and Lise went to her home to fetch one. She also set us up in the back yard with some beers and wine.
Our room, Abidjan, had a fantastic shower (lots of pressure) and the room was large with a comfortable bed.
Not understanding how ordering dinner with your hotel reservation works in this area, I neglected to prepay for dinner hoping to order a la carte because of the fantastic reviews on Trip Advisor for this restaurant. But alas, since we were the only guests, and we did not "book" a dinner, no chef was scheduled for the night. This was a great disappointment.
In the future, I would not hesitate to prepay for dinner along this route.

Room Tip: Our room, Abidjan, had a fantastic shower (lots of pressure) and the room was large with a comfortab...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 28, 2012

This was our first stop during a bike trip on the P'tit Train du Nord. We stayed in the Shanghai room which was a bit cheesy, however it was clean, quiet, and the other rooms were much more tastefully decorated.

The real reason to stay here however is the food. The northern part of the trail is a culinary wasteland unless you really dig crappy trucker diners. The food here was staggeringly good. Both breakfast and dinner were amazing, and one of the high points of our trip.

Also, if you are biking, he has a pretty good set of tools/pumps/etc if you need to do some bike surgery along the way.

Nominingue itself is not really much to speak of. A small grocery store and a bank is about it, but it is a nice stopping point if you are headed south from Mt. Laurier.

Room Tip: The shanghai room is where we stayed. It is fine, the decor is just a bit over the top.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jonathan R
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Comfortable room for a family of 4- the owner gave us the largest room in the inn, which has a separate room within a room. Very close to the linear park, so easy to bicycle to neighbouring towns. Excellent and filling breakfast. Very carefully decorated rooms with attention to detail.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Ontario
Reviewed August 11, 2012

We stayed at this inn during our first night of a great trip doing the "Petit Train du Nord" by bike with another couple. It is attractive from the street because of a front porch enhanced by a large number of hanging baskets and planters which are beautiful. We found the rooms quite clean and comfortable. I enjoyed the themes of different cities in the guest rooms (we stayed in Shanghi). My sister and her friend found the decorating in Marrakech a bit over the top. The air conditioning is provided by one of those units that sits inside the room with a plastic pipe drawing in air to cool. It works, but it is a bit noisy, however we appreciated having it on a warm night. The ensuite bathrooms had evidently been recently renovated and had great showers with lots of pressure. We wished there were a guest lounge area were we could sit together since there was no room in the bedrooms for this, however, we spent a very pleasant time sitting on the front porch in the late afternoon and then went in for an excellent gourmet dinner served by a very attentive waitress. In the morning, I had an experience which unfortunately took the pleasure out of staying in this establishment. After sitting down for breakfast, I found that there was a cool breeze coming in the window and decided to go up to get a sweater in our room. The staircase is located directly at the base of the entrance to the kitchen. The innkeeper was going back and forth bringing out food and I actually checked that he was not on his way out, however I had to pause at the bottom of the steps since another couple was on their way down and there is not room to easily pass each other on the steps. At that moment, our host banged open the door and came out very fast hitting me in the head and shoulder with the door and spilling orange juice all over everything within a 5 foot radius. I stammered out an apology, although in retrospect I'm not sure why, since it was he who hit me with the door (there was a window that would have revealed my presence had he looked). The worst thing was that following this accident, he simply stood for what seemed like an eternity staring at me with a look that could have killed and said absolutely nothing. After several uncomfortable moments, I fled up the stairs since he was clearly not inclined to accept my unnecessary apology, much less inquire if I was alright after being hit with the door! I might ordinarily have tried to help clean it up had he been treating it as an accident, but I was so uncomfortable that I did not. Upon returning to the dining room, my whole group was treated somewhat distantly and for us, this stay that would have been fine, was somewhat ruined. Another guest who had witnessed this incident expressed her shock at how I had been treated when we met by chance at a tourist information place after breakfast. I see that other reviewers have had pleasant experiences with this gentleman who I'm quite certain must have been the owner they describe. Perhaps he was having a bad day, but take it from me, if you stay there, watch out for the door!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank travelingteacher47
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed August 2, 2012

My wife and I went to the Auberge l'Ile de France for dinner on our vacation, on the excellent recommendation from family members. We had one of the best meals of our life! The food was incredible, all through the five-course dinner.

I could say many nice things about the host, Philippe, the tasteful decor, and the flawless service, but the food completely stole the show as far as we were concerned. My wife had the duck confit for appetizer and the salmon and shrimp (we wish we could remember the name of the dish) as a main course. I had the feuilleté of escargots and mushrooms as appetizer and the doré as main. Every course was an amazing taste experience. And all were absolutely flawless, and of course beautifully presented. And the desserts... well, I can still taste the verrines.

We have had great meals in Toronto, Ottawa and Montréal before, though never one where every dish without exception was fantastic. And all the other ones cost us at least twice as much. You can't get such a meal at this price anywhere.

Please, don't miss an opportunity to visit this place! You will not regret it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed July 15, 2012

I happened to stay here while cycling the Petit Train du Nord with friends. We had made reservations at this Auberge not knowing what a gem it was! The rooms are decorated in themes from different cities around the world (the owner, Philippe, having worked and/or travelled in many of them). It is very clean, with crisp white sheets on the beds, and air conditioning (it was very humid while when I stayed there, so this was important!) Philippe was most hospitable!

The food at dinner was amazing. It was a Table d'Hote with great choices to be had. It was hard to decide! I had a filet of pork in an orange sauce. And it was all so tasty! Breakfast in the morning was fresh fruit, juice, coffee, fresh croissants made on the premises and eggs cooked to taste. I had an omelette, which was delicious, accompanied by hash browns topped with bacon.

There was also a place to lock up your bikes for the night, which was greatly appreciated.

This place is outstanding and I am looking forward to a return visit. Merci!

Room Tip: I think all of the rooms are equally great!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank travellingeverywhere
Puerto Rico
Reviewed July 9, 2012

My husband and I stayed here last week on the first night of our 4 day biking trip on the P'tit Train du Nord. Overall it was the best as far as accommodation and food on our trip. Philippe was a wonderful host and food was incredible. The Dore (fresh water fish) was in a lemon caper butter and done perfectly. The fresh fruit in the morning with fresh baked croissants was incredible as was the wild mushroom and cheese omelet. Would definitely recommend staying here. We were in the Abidjan room and very comfortable. Thanks Philippe for a wonderful stay and we will be back!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nominingue
Auberge Villa Bellerive
#6 of 6 in Nominingue
Auberge de la Vieille Gare
Auberge de la Vieille Gare
#5 of 6 in Nominingue

Been to Auberge l'Ile de France? Share your experiences!