“Has the potential to be superb !” 3 of 5 bubbles

West Lodge Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Barnet
GreenLeadersSilver level
WEST YORKS
“Has the potential to be superb !”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

The location is good with a 5 minute drive to the M25 and a brisk 20 minute stroll to Cockfosters Tube. The grounds are lovely and my welcome was very warm and friendly.
The rooms are spacious and the bed was very comfortable.
Breakfast was very good with freshly cooked eggs available and a good selection of other foods.
Three minus points:
The shower was terrible and went from boiling hot to freezing cold and the power was also poor and speaking to my other 6 colleagues this was the same in their rooms too. A nice shower is essential if I am staying in a hotel so this was very disappointing.
The checkout in the morning was terrible and I waited nearly 15 minutes whilst the gentlemen receptionist struggled with payment machines etc. Again 5 minutes is ok but when you are staying away on business and generally in a hurry this is not acceptable.
Last point is the price of drinks which was very high even for outer London and basically meant that none of us drank in the bar in either of the two nights we were there.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank ANDY K
Andrew B, Owner at West Lodge Park Hotel, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Thank you for your review of West Lodge Park.

I am glad that you enjoyed the location and surroundings, the welcome, and the bedroom and breakfast.

I am sorry that you had shower problems and would be glad if you could email me with your room number so that we can fix this - re recently spent tens of thousands of pounds upgrading our hot water system, so it sounds like something isn't quite working correctly.

Sorry too that we had problems on checkout - our two PDQ machines went into slow mode through no fault of our own (I think it was problems with the lines at Barnet exchange). This has now been sorted by BT and we are back to normal speedy checkout.

Our drinks prices are currently under review with the launch of a new wine list on the 28th July, and a new bar tariff soon after, with lots of lines being better value than before.

Do come again to West Lodge Park !

Beales Hotels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Watford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

This was my second stay at this wonderful hotel and I can't wait to go back. We upgraded to a luxury room which had the most beautiful view over the amazing gardens. The food was fantastic at both dinner and breakfast and all the staff were helpful and friendly. My only problem was I wanted to stay longer!!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank elwatford
Andrew B, Owner at West Lodge Park Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Thank you for your very kind review of West Lodge Park.

I am so glad you had such a good stay, and are hoping to come back soon.

The views are amazing out of nearly all the rooms, but if any of our Tripadvisor guests want, you can see our bedroom gallery on the Beales Hotels website that features not only multiple photos of each room, but just as importantly, the view from each room.

That way, you can pick your room, and then contact our reception team to book it !

Do come again soon, its not too far from Watford !

Wellingborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

Me and the wife shared a belated anniversary here on 28 june. Amazing great staff food facilities location everything. Extremely happy and a great time was had 5* all the way. Many thanks and ee will return

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank watts73
Wow, what a superb review, thanks so much,

I am glad you enjoyed your anniversary stay at West Lodge Park,

We have wondered many times over the years whether to apply for five star status for the hotel, but have always resisted as we are not quite big enough to support the extra facilities required of five star status (concierge, all night kitchen etc).

Instead, we are quite happy to be the highest rated four star hotel in North London and Hertfordshire, and with prices considerably lower than at the five star competition (The Grove, Hanbury Manor and Luton Hoo).

I have always had a simple philosophy, under promise and over deliver, and most of the time we get this right. Five star hotels are often the opposite, sadly.

Do come down from Peterborough again soon, it would be a pleasure to welcome you back.

Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

Booked for a classic room and upgraded to a luxury room.

Check in was excellent , room was clean , spacious and had all we needed. The grounds and views were beautiful! Dinner was nothing short of 5 star. The pianist that played through the dinner service was exceptional and it really added a special touch to our dining experience.

I will be coming back again and recommending the hotel to as many people as I can.

I know the management read and reply to reviews and this is something that encouraged me to stay . Customer service is key and this hotel displays this.

One thing to mention ( and is not a complaint by any means ) there is a small spelling mistake in the back of the menus about the smoking of e cigarettes in the restaurant which did make us giggle. For those of your clientele with no sense of humour , you may wish to change it :)

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind review on Tripadvisor,

I am so glad you had a nice time at West Lodge Park.

You are right that I respond to every single one of the many hundreds of Tripadvisor reviews about West Lodge Park, The Mary Beale Restaurant, Beales Hotel, and Outsidein Restaurant.

As importantly, all our 170 staff see the reviews, as we all take them very seriously.

I was delighted that you enjoyed our resident pianist Paul Jaffa - we had a recent review complaining about him, the first in the decade or more that he has been playing with us - I suppose just showing that you can't please everybody all of the time.

Paul plays in the Mary Beale Restaurant every Friday night, Saturday night, Sunday lunch and Sunday afternoon tea, and gives pleasure to so many people each week.

We are all genuinely at a loss about your comment about our e-cigarette policy, and if you can shed any more light on this by email to me I would be most grateful.

Do come again, it would be a pleasure to welcome you back to this lovely hotel.

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2014

I stayed in a deluxe room recently for a wedding. The room wasn't as large as I was expecting, but perfectly adequate and spotlessly clean. Shame I didn't have time to use the Jacuzzi that the room had access to. Drink prices steep, but the quality of the evening meal lovely. The arboretum gets 5 stars. Very well maintained grounds and so peaceful. You wouldn't think you were still in London. A few niggles with the bed comfort & breakfast service.

I know the owner raves on about the 'hypnos' beds, but it was the buttons on the mattress that were uncomfortable, not the rest of the mattress. I took the sheet off in the morning, & some of them were loose, causing them to dig in & resulting in a sleepless night. A topper would have helped, or fixing the buttons.

At breakfast, I was greeted by a huge queue waiting to be served. The hot food is not self- service, just 1 lady serving the massive crowd. Food kept running out, so people hovered nearby waiting. 1 man came back to get bacon. The women serving snapped & told him to go to the back of the queue. He explained he'd already been served, & had been waiting for the bacon to be replenished. She reluctantly served him, but balked when he dared asked for 3 rashers. Absolutely ridiculous system. It might work mid week when quiet, but not when busy.

Did I complete a review form at the time & mention my issues to reception? Yes, on both counts. The receptionist apologised & said they'd look at my comments, and I've not heard a thing back from the review form. I would recommend staying there & hope to go back again, just a shame a few things stopped it being a perfect stay.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Andrew B, Owner at West Lodge Park Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Thank you for your review of West Lodge Park Hotel,

I am glad you enjoyed your stay in the main, and that the arboretum gets 5 stars !

I am sorry about the buttons on the mattress and I have asked our housekeeper Yioda Joannou to come up with a solution.

Our restaurant manager William Lyons apologises for the ropey service you received at breakfast time, this should never have happened and is not representative of the high standards of service at breakfast that we are well known for.

Do come again, sorry for the slip ups from all the team.

Regards,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2014

We booked a meal for Saturday 21st June and started with lovely cocktails in the pretty garden and grounds. We had a lovely welcome into the hotel and excellent service in the garden. The dinner was truly exceptional, the prawns and scallops were perfection. My partner said the lamb chops were the best he had ever tasted and my sea bass was divine. The beautiful piano music made the evening romantic and memorable. We could not fault the food and service and we are hard to please with restaurants seldom getting it right. We would highly recommend you and will definitely be back. Thank you for a lovely experience.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Andrew B, Owner at West Lodge Park Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Gosh, thanks so much for an amazing review.

I have only been in charge at West Lodge Park for 22 years and I would wholeheartedly agree with your comment about restaurants seldom getting it right.

It is very hard to get every element perfect from the initial welcome to the final goodbye, via drinks on arrival, starters, mains, desserts, wines, coffees, music, atmosphere, speed of service, and the bill.

So I am delighted to see that we succeeded for you last Saturday.

We have a brilliant team both in the kitchen and the restaurant, and am so glad that it all came
together for you at the weekend.

The old adage applies in this business, namely that you are only as good as your last meal, so I will await the next Tripadvisor review with trepidation !

Do come again soon, it would be a pleasure to welcome you back to this lovely hotel.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2014

Have been to this hotel restaurant many times, having an enjoyable afternoon in the garden, a little disappointed with the service today, only one waitress on and she did try her best, we ordered some food, two of us had the omelette with salad garnish (salad leaves only) with 12 chips, my other friend had Caesar salad, again plenty of salad leaves, but not enough salad, we had desserts which were nice, coffee to follow, all I can say is more staff needed,

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ladylucy1980
Andrew B, Owner at West Lodge Park Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Thank you for your review of West Lodge Park.

I am not entirely clear from your review whether you were in the Mary Beale restaurant or on the terrace outside choosing from our bar menu.

As such it is a little difficult for me to comment in detail, but can only apologise on behalf of all the team for any deficiencies in our service.

Please think of this as a one off, as we do have plenty of staff around throughout the day normally.

Beales Hotels
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barnet
Beales Hatfield Hotel
Glenlyn Hotel
Glenlyn Hotel
#488 of 1,086 in London
Premier Inn South Mimms/Potters Bar Hotel

Been to West Lodge Park Hotel? Share your experiences!