“Perfect place to stay for a long weekend”

West Lodge Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Barnet
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I stayed here whilst on business down in London. The location is great - it is easy to get the tube into London, but you are nowhere near the hustle and bustle of city. The hotel is a very relaxing place to stay and anybody visiting must take a walk around the grounds, which are beautiful.
My room was extremely comfortable, absolutely spotless and my stay there was perfectly enjoyable. I had breakfast in the hotel restaurant both mornings and the food was delicious with a selection of fruits, pastries and cooked breakfast.

All in all, I would recommend this Hotel to anybody staying in or around London.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Andrew B, Owner at West Lodge Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of West Lodge Park after your recent trip down from Newcastle.

I am glad you enjoyed the hotel and the grounds and glad too that you found the hotel handy for central London.

Cockfosters Tube is just a mile away - unlimited parking is available here for £5 per weekday, £2 per day on Saturdays and bank holidays, and £1.50 per day on Sundays.

Travelcards for unlimited tube and bus travel after 9.30am weekdays, and all day Saturday, Sunday and bank holidays are currently £8.80 for adults.

I think the combination of car parking cheaper than is often the case, and the travelcards which are way cheaper than rail, make visiting London for the day a real bargain.

And it is so nice to be able to get back to the lovely countryside and grounds surrounding West Lodge Park in the evening.

Do come again, next time you are down from the North East !

There are newer reviews for West Lodge Park Hotel

Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

We visited the hotel on the 6th April for a wedding reception. It was a beautiful day and was lovely to be in a hotel surrounded by beautiful parkland where the children were able to enjoy the grounds. We ate our lovely buffet outside enjoying the gardens and conservatory where we were. Although there was another wedding reception going on as well you would never have known as we had a lot of rooms to privately celebrate the day. The staff were very attentive and polite and it was a very welcoming and relaxing place to be for a wedding. Highly recommend it and hope to visit again one day.

• Stayed: April 2013
Andrew B, Owner at West Lodge Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2013

Thank you for your kind review.

I am glad we looked after you well at the wedding reception you attended and that the children were able to play outside on the lawns,

The weather has not been kind recently so you were lucky to have a good day at the start of April.

Finally spring is in the air, and the daffodils are out, but the trees in the Beale Arboretum have not yet made up their minds whether it is safe to come out of hibernation yet !

Do come again, it would be a pleasure to welcome you back to West Lodge Park.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

We stayed at West Lodge Park for one night as we were going to a party nearby. The house and grounds are attractive and if the weather had been better it would have been lovely to have walked the extensive grounds, and because of the grounds, even though it was a built up area the hotel was quiet. The bedroom and bathroom were a good size and well appointed, however except for the two men that helped us with our luggage I found it rather impersonal , the staff were polite but with no warmth.
I can't comment on the dinner as we did not eat there, we had tea which was extremely expensive, although I thought the bed and breakfast price reasonable. Breakfast was very disappointing, not enough staff on, we had to keep getting up to find someone to serve at the buffet bar and when we did get someone she served with a very bad grace and we were surprised that it was a buffet and not served, also some of the food was not hot enough and the coffee was like mud. Perhaps this was a off day as the two men at the next table who had been staying for several days said it had been much better previously, they thought the restaurant manager had a day off but that is not good enough for a 4 star hotel. A bit of a mixed bag really.

2  Thank pennyk299

Thank you for your review.

I am sorry that we let you down at breakfast in particular.

I have checked our temperature records and all the hot food on the day you were there was served between 74 and 82 degrees which is within normal criteria.

However I am sad that our waitress was not as warm as she should have been, and she has now been spoken to.

All staff have been reminded that the warmth of welcome is critical as having a lovely hotel and grounds is clearly not enough.

Thank you for bringing these issues to my attention.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

We visited for Christmas Day Lunch and one of our party has a disability requiring close parking. In fact, we were able to park directly outside with the disability badge. There are a couple of stpes to the bathroom but there is also a disability lift if needed. Although we paid an arm and a leg for the meal, it was, by far, the best hotel-catered Christmas lunch I have ever eaten and my fellow diners agreed. Generous portions and delicious. We will book again for this year. We haven't stayed there overnight but I would certainly recommend it based on fellow trip advisor reviews and our own experience of their customer service approach.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Andrew B, Owner at West Lodge Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Thank you for your kind review of Christmas Day lunch at West Lodge Park.

I am so pleased you enjoyed your lunch with us, it was a pleasure to serve you on this special day.

It is not cheap I know - we pay our hard working staff double time and a day in lieu to give up their Christmas Day to serve our guests, and have extra costs associated with the lack of food and drink deliveries around Christmas.

Most hotels in the area close completely for the Christmas period.

For those of our Tripadvisor readers wanting a cheaper Christmas meal, we have Christmas Eve dinner and Boxing Day lunch at considerably lower prices than the 25th and many guests prefer to come to us during the period between Boxing Day and New Year's Eve, when we are back to normal service.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you back to West Lodge Park this Christmas Day, we are just finalising the Christmas programme as I write and it should be live on our website before the end of April.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights at this lovely hotel. Great building in a fabulous location with lovely rooms and the food in the Mary Beale restaurant is the best I have ever tasted anywhere in the world. I just can't say enough about how amazing the food is! But what really makes a hotel stand out from all the others is the staff and the staff at this hotel are wonderful. They all seem so happy in their work and are constantly smiling and engaging with the guests. We will definitely be going back to West Lodge again and again and again.

1  Thank DIDDLYDEE
Andrew B, Owner at West Lodge Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Thank you for your super review of West Lodge Park Hotel.

I am glad that you had such a good time and enjoyed the food, the hotel location, and noticed the attitude of the staff, who are truly exceptional.

We held our long service lunch for the team a couple of weeks ago, and over 780 years of service to Beales Hotels was represented in the room, a truly exceptional figure.

Do come again now that Spring is finally on its way !

Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stayed at West Park Lodge for one night as part of a weekend away.

It is located about 5 to 10 minutes drive from the M25 junction 23.

The hotel is located within its own large groundd, which are extensive and well cultivated, making for a lovely walk. The extensive grounds also make the location quiet and relaxing. Our room (room 18) had a lovely view over the countryside to Enfield Chase; I would imagine many of the rooms have similar views.

The room was clean and well maintained, with tea and coffee facilities, plenty of hanging space, flat screen tv, and the bathroom had a bath with shower over, and a basket of lovely complimentary toiletries.

My only complaints (if you could call them that) would be that the double bed seemed a little on the small side, and there was a half used bottle of shampoo in the shower (not ours!).

We had dinner in the restaurant, which was very nice - drinks are relatively expensive (£11 for a cocktail). We also had breakfast included in the price which again was very good, with everything you would expect to see in both a continental style and cooked breakfast. I understand the hotel restaurant aim to use local suppliers where possible.

Service was excellent in all parts of the hotel throughout our stay, and the public areas are well maintained.

Overall I think this hotel is well deserving of its four star rating and I would definitely stay again.

Overall this hi

1  Thank beccy12001

Thank you for your kind comments following your weekend at West Lodge Park.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay at the hotel. Room 18 does indeed have lovely views over the Enfield Chase, but next time try the room above, number 49 which is the same size and layout but has even more elevated views !

Just one factual correction for the benefit of our Tripadvisor readers, the hotel is situated about a mile from Junction 24 of the M25, turn off at the Potters Bar junction and follow signs to Cockfosters - we are on Ferny Hill which is the first turning on the left, it couldn't be easier !

Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

We were upgraded to the annexe which is spacious newly refurbished and clean with a lovely walk in closet with a safe fridge and tea and coffee facilities tucked away. Even biscuits on the tray. I've stayed in
Lots of hotels over the years the never less than four stars is good enough and if I pay for four stars I expect it! This was a wowcher deal I paid two star price and got five. All I can say is WOW. The owner of this hotel truly loves this house and staff. Everyone is happy and it's not fake well it doesn't feel fake! How we felt really welcomed! Now the bathroom.. Although I always bring my own what an exceptional range of toiletries a sewing kit shoe shine cotton buds cotton balls. This is what I expect four star. Sadly these days you rarely get it. There's even drinks in the fridge. And we got some complimentary wine. Little touches that are very important. Happy well trained professional staff and "little extras" that few pounds invested in " little extras" promotes growth. I would not think twice about popping up the M25 and booking two nights as a treat so we could enjoy the spa and more walks in the grounds.
Oh the grounds..... Wow so breathtakingly beautiful. So refreshing there are hotels like this that are £300 a night.
Outside our bedroom window was a fountain. I could write a novel here.
Lastly and the thing that made my stay most enjoyable apart from the comfortable room lovely food and little extras.
History... Beautiful artwork everywhere with wonderful facts and family history and so much to absorb transportation back in time and sense of intrigue and wonder into this fascinating past. That makes this experience very unique.
A wonderful base for my next novel.
Thank you for a truly wonderful experience.
We will be back!

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank mlanaka

Gosh what a super review, thank you so much.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back here for your next novel ! We have history galore in every corner of the house and gardens, and I have enough experience after some 21 years working here to fill a novel myself ! Actually it would be non fictional, and the truth would be stranger than fiction !

There is plenty more about the hotel's history available to read on our website, as well as a downloadable history of West Lodge Park written by my father and a downloadable history of this family business written by my great uncle.

When that novel needs to be written do come back to West Lodge Park !

Beales Hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Barnet
Royal Chace Hotel
Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Sopwell House
Sopwell House
#3 of 10 in St. Albans

Been to West Lodge Park Hotel? Share your experiences!