“Always A Delight”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Barnet
GreenLeadersSilver level
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I would just like to say that having stayed in many hotels across the UK, West Lodge Park Hotel is always a delight to return to whether it be for their generous afternoon tea, dinner or overnight . The staff are always efficient and polite (with a smile) and after an excellent dinner we retire to a comfortable room. Breakfast in the morning is a hearty affair and always enjoyable.

Another lovely stay. Thank you.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Andrew B, Owner at West Lodge Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2012

Thank you for your kind comments from not one but two reviews of West Lodge Park Hotel !

I am so glad you have enjoyed your stays at this lovely hotel and I do hope you will continue to return.

For the benefit of our wider Tripadvisor audience, the saga with our lift is finally coming to an end - the spare part for the lift is being brought in from Germany today, and all should be well and fixed by Friday afternoon 24th August.

Our sincere apologies for the disruption that the lift breakdown has caused during August.

Kind regards,

Beales Hotels

Write a ReviewReviews (1,144)

Reviewed August 21, 2012

I was very impressed with the excellent customer service given by the staff which began as soon as we entered the front entrance of the hotel. Checking in at reception was quick and easy to do with friendly faces to greet you. The restaurant had a pleasant relaxed atmosphere and we were very much looked after. Not a bad word to say about the food, it was delicious! Would definitely recommend the hotel for any occasion.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Andrew B, Owner at West Lodge Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

Thank you for your kind comments following your recent stay at West Lodge Park.

I am delighted to say that our lift, which caused us so much grief on Tripadvisor last weekend, is fully up and running now.

Do come again when you are next down from lovely Buckingham !

With kind regards,

Reviewed August 21, 2012

I recently staye at west lodge with my partner. As it was his birthday our aim was to go into central london during the day and eat at the hotel in the evening.

The hotel was in a perfect location, only a 20 minute walk from the station, and as the weather was so lovely we were happy to do this.

We ate of the special set menu in the evening, great value for money.

My sister is engaged, and i have mentioned to her to view the hotel as a possible venue, especially with the beautiful gardens.

• Stayed: August 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a kind review of West Lodge Park on Tripadvisor.

I am glad you enjoyed the location, although I would point out that the 20 minute walk from Cockfosters Tube station is along a main road, and a £5 taxi ride from the station to the hotel in 3 minutes will be preferable for most Tripadvisor readers.

Cockfosters Tube station is incredibly convenient for drivers too, as you can park there all day for £1.50 at weekends, or £4.50 during the week, and take the Piccadilly Line direct into town to just about every interesting place you would want to go without changing lines, from the British Museum to Covent Garden, Leicester Sq to Piccadilly, and all the wonderful museums at South Kensington.

Do come again next time you would like a London break in the country !

With kind regards,

Reviewed August 20, 2012

I usually write very positive reviews but this one has to be the exception. We booked a large family party with accommodation and a meal in a private room which cost an extra £425 because you can't order a la carte in the restaurant if there are more than 12 people.
The afternoon was wonderful as we had drinks on the terrace. The weather was great and the grounds and views are spectacular. Food service a little inflexible about ordering anything not prebooked but they were persuaded to let us have sandwich platters.
The rooms are good country hotel quality with all you'd expect from 4 star apart from wifi or Internet. But then it is a retreat style hotel. Our problem was that we had booked one room supposedly on the ground floor because my mother is a blue badge holder. She had asked for a walk in shower and was offered the disabled facility when she booked. On arrival my parents discovered the room was actually on the first floor and it was considered accessible as there is a lift. However the lift was broken!!!!!!!! I am amazed my parents were not informed of this in advance. My mother isn't wheel chair bound but the large number of stairs was very uncomfortable for her.
The meal was meagre. Our young men had to fill up on bread...which incidentaly was very nice but not what we came for. The smoked salmon starter took the form of a disc about the size of two fifty pence pieces with 2 prawns on top. The vegetarian options were abysmal for this class of hotel. The carrot soup watery and tasteless. My husband had a Stilton based salad with most pieces still having rind attached and thus inedible. The main course for vegetarians was a dreadfully bland and mushy risotto. The meat eaters seemed happy enough but again portions very stingy. The desserts were from the a la carte menu and they were good. As were the lovely petit fours which came with the coffee. The waiters were serving a full restaurant and their attention was sporadic. They keep the wine you preorder in the adjacent ante room. I was really annoyed and amazed to discover that we had wine sitting opened there which was not being served. So we thought we'd run out and ordered more...and they didn't let us know we had our own purchases remaining!!!! I was very disappointed. I think the food on the main menu was probably much better. Why do parties get such a poor deal??? We had paid much more per head than in the restaurant as we had paid the function room supplement.
The breakfast was a highlight. We had tables reserved close to each other and the food was ample and of good quality. We were all very hungry!
The staff were all charming and helpful. A kind guy did our group photos. And the Events people were fine too. But management needs to look at providing value for money for parties and at how they respond to eventualities like the lift breaking down. My parents weren't even told the story, or when it would be repaired.
This could be a very fab hotel.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank mrsmatisse1
Andrew B, Owner at West Lodge Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write of your experiences at West Lodge Park.

I am very sorry that the lift was out of order - this was one of those things that happen sometimes in hotels and was outside our control. It was fixed last week, then it failed again, which is why we didn't tell you in advance. (For the benefit of our Tripadvisor readers the lift has been repaired giving access to the disabled bedrooms, disabled WC and all but two bedrooms at West Lodge Park)

It is natural in all hotels to ask a larger party (in your case 16) to eat privately as it would be plainly be impossible to serve so many at one restaurant table without disrupting the flow for the other diners.

I can assure you 100% that parties do not get a poor deal and that the food is of a high standard and quality at West Lodge Park for all our guests whether in the Mary Beale Restaurant, the Terrace Bar, Room service, the Bar Terrace, or the private dining rooms like yours. Our huge number of celebration and wedding testimonials on our website bear this out.

We will however make the salmon dish bigger using different moulds in future and the vegetarian dishes were not up to our usual standard and you are right to point this out. We will be refunding the cost of the vegetarian dishes and your organiser will receive a cheque from us next week.

We serve all our wine from the ante room - there is no question whatsoever of ripping you off and getting you to pay for wine when there is some there to be used up.

I am very sorry that you had such a disappointing experience but I genuinely believe that we looked after you well, with the exception of the broken down lift which was out of our control, the slightly small salmon dish, and the vegetarian dishes for which we will refund your organiser.

We hope that you will give us another try and it would be a pleasure to welcome your family back to West Lodge Park in the future.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

Our room was booked as part of a pre wedding night for my sisters wedding ,we arrived from Lancashire having driven for 5 hours .
I am disabled on arrival i was informed the lift was not working as though it had only just broken down , we were later informed the lift being so old ,the part was ordered but due to its age it was a problem getting the part .Clearly no mention of no lifts available on the web .
The booking was made knowing i required the lift ,our room was on the first floor , thr room we were shown to had wall paper hanging from the wall be neath the window ,the glass door has been cleaned with a dirty cloth ,two complimentry bottles of water were next to the clean glasses on the table both bottles half full ,we then discovered the toilet in our room was blocked we informed reception at of this a chap came and tried a plunger to no avail ,at 23.00 finally we were offered another room except they wanted to give my daughter and i single rooms ,my daughter who assists me dressing ,getting in and out of bed ,bathing etc . a single room was not an option we were then given a double on the second floor ,yet another flight of stairs to climb .the room was in worse condition than the first ,the chairs were thread bare the painted white furniture has coffee stains under the glass protecter ,grubby marks all over ,dusty lamps and shades , smeared mirrors .
I ordered room service breakfast for the following day ( breakfast £16.00 each +£5 Room serviuce charge ) they took it to the first room when i rang at 9.00 to ask where the 8.30nbreakfast was ,i was informed they had been to the first room ,THEN they tried to serve us the now cold breakfast ,and actually seemed a bit put out when i said i would like a fresh breakfast , toast and the pot of tea replaced as they too were cold !! they seemed put out by the request .
It was the hottest day on record for London i understand the hotel is listed building but the 7"fan was a joke all in all one must ask is it time to give up the Ghost surely a small plug in air con unit would be a wise investement together with a check list for HOUSE KEEPING AND A DEEP CLEANING SCHEDULE for the rooms ,
Sorry but i must go on ,replacing the grey washed out dressing gowns is an excellent idea also as they has a similar effect to sand paper on the skin !!!!
I would never recommend this once regal hotel to anyone .

Room Tip: Express by Holiday INN /Premier INN
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Mary D
Andrew B, Owner at West Lodge Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Thank you for your review of West Lodge Park.

It was clearly a bad start with the unfortunate incident of the lift breakdown. The lift is regularly maintained at great expense each year, and had unfortunately broken down for the first time in my living memory at the hotel (and I have been here 20 years). It is just one of those things I am afraid to say, and Kone Lifts, I understand, will have it up and running again this week.

The toilet flush didn't work well, and we tried to fix it late at night but to no avail. This sometimes happens in hotels as previous guests put all manner of things down the loo. We did our best to fix it.

You filled out your room service breakfast card in the first room you were in - we collected it on our rounds as we do throughout the day, ready for the next morning. You didn't fill out a new room service card in your new room, and so our waiter (my son Ashley in fact) took the breakfast order to the room number you had marked on the card. He apologises for not freshening up your breakfast before bringing it to the correct room.

You did not mention housekeeping issues to anyone at the hotel during the stay - had you done so, our hard working housekeeping team would immediately have come to rectify any problems - it is a bit unfair to complain after the event on Tripadvisor but not request a housekeeper to attend during your visit.

I am sorry but I do not accept your concluding comments in any way at all, and am sorry that you will not be staying here again.

We are a deeply professional hotel which has been run by generations of the same family and staff.

We hold up our hands when things go wrong and apologise to you, but believe your review to be very harsh to our hard working staff who were doing their best on a hot weekend.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

My husband and I chose to stay at West Lodge Park for our wedding night. We chose the most expensive four poster room at £276 per night incl. breakfast. We didn't arrive at the hotel until around 3am and were greeted by no one at the front desk, after waiting a couple of minutes the receptionist appeared. It was obvious it was our wedding night....I was still in my dress and my husband still in his morning suit so we thought we might be greeted with smiles, it almost seemed like we'd woken the guy up, he grumpily shuffled his way up the stairs and showed us our room. The room was large and clean, with fabulous views over the lovely grounds and the bathroom massive with a shower and a bath but we thought it was all a bit dated for £276. I would have probably rated the hotel with a very good score but after we phoned down to reception at around 3.30am to ask about room service, after I asked politely, "is room service available?" the answer that snapped back was "what do you want? I'll have to go the kitchen and make it myself so it will take a while" Therefore I have rated it average. For a 4* hotel I wouldn't expect this response. The sandwich did arrive and did the job, but we certainly felt like we were a pain in the backside to the chap on front desk which shouldn't have been the case as we were paying customers!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments after your wedding night stay at West Lodge Park.

I have no hesitation at all in offering a complimentary three course table d'hote lunch or dinner for two including coffee and petits fours as a way of saying sorry for the rudeness of Anetey Anteson, our night manager, who came across rudely to you, even though that is only a mannerism, and not personal to you.

Please write to me via my email address with your address and I will send you a voucher to be used up any time until the 23rd December 2012.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you back to West Lodge Park for a complimentary meal.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

West Lodge Park is a delightful venue for coffee, lunch or dinner, particularly when they are not hosting multiple special events. However, the ladies lavatory was very smelly when we were there on Saturday. We thought it would be best to alert the reception staff to this - however, not only did they not seem bothered at all, when I turned back unexpectedly, they were snickering about us and our complaint. They really did let this excellent venue down!

Room Tip: WE did not stay there on this occasion

Thank you for your comments about West Lodge Park,

In fairness we had a problem with our drains which was quickly fixed later the same day.

Your comments were reported to me immediately, and I am sorry to say that you spoke rudely to our staff.

There is no excuse for rudeness from hotel staff of course, and I apologise profusely if they came across as so, but nor is there an excuse for rudeness from anyone else either.

I am sorry that this very small incident has been posted on Tripadvisor, as it seems of little importance in the greater scheme of things.

However, do come again, I can assure you that the Ladies WCs, refurbished recently at a cost of over £50'000.- are fully functioning.

Beales Hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Barnet
Royal Chace Hotel
De Vere Theobalds Estate
Holtwhites Hotel
Holtwhites Hotel
#4 of 5 in Enfield

Been to West Lodge Park Hotel? Share your experiences!