“:)”

Hostel Casa Del Parque
San Francisco, California
“:)”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I came back 4 times during my entire trip around Costa Rica and would recommend this place for anyone looking for a cheap and quiet place in San Jose.

Pros:
- People running the hostel are very nice and accommodating.
- Small and quiet (house converted into a hostel)
- Well equipped kitchen
- Pretty clean
- Walking distance to much of the points of interest in downtown
- Cheap
- Cat

Cons:
- I awoke every morning to trucks honking across the city

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank pkoo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Korean first
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Every time I'm back in San Jose there is no question where I'll stay! I love it there, the people are friendly, the location is great, the hostel is quiet and super chill. There's always a movie playing and people chatting and it's generally a nice place to recharge in between destinations. It has a great location and I always walk to whichever bus stop I'm going to from there.
Highly recommended!

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank hat89
Venice, California, United States
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I and a few friends were making our way through San Jose when we came across this gem. The city is not much of a metropolis, but if you find yourself trapped there because you have to head to the embassy due to stolen passports in Samara this is the place to be. The staff is generous and hospitable. The $8 a night are remarkable. The house cat is a pleasure. The place is clean and secure. If you need a place to decompress, then this is the spot. I'm fortunate to have had the pleasure of staying here multiple times during our travels from north to south throughout the country. Big ups.

Room Tip: If you're traveling with friends I would encourage you to book the private rooms. Collectively t...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Tony J
State College, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Reccommended to all! A clean, beautiful, cheerful hostel with wonderful staff and owner. I stayed for a week while I was ill and I cannot think of a better place for resting and relaxing. Those who work here are wonderfully friendly and helpful. The location is perfect, next to a beautiful park and walking distance to everything you need. You immediately feel at home upon arrival. I hope I can find other hostels to stay like this!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Grace E
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We booked Hostel Casa Del Parque for our first night in Costa Rica before taking off to travel around the country. After an insanely long and rough day of travel, I was literally ready to crash anywhere. Unfortunately, we arrived late at night and were led into the first floor private room (with bathroom). I was BEYOND disgusted. There was mold everywhere, it was dark, it was dank, and I didn't even want to shower here.

It got worse when I went to get into the bed- there were stains everywhere on the sheets and pillows. I would have slept on the floor but I didn't trust that was any cleaner. I ended up sleeping in my travel clothes and on other clothes I had packed. Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep, had a cold shower the next morning, and gladly left to enjoy the rest of my trip. I'm not sure how this place gets such good reviews.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sebn09
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I spent 2 weeks in the hostel and I always felt at home. The staff is incredibly helpful, friendly and very personal with everybody. The hostel is in a great location and it's very clean and safe. I'm coming back to Costa Rica and I definitely want to stay there again. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Eva C
Panama City, Panama
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I would definitely recommend Casa del Parque. Our stay there was wonderful. It is a beautiful old, charming house with the nicest back yard, the staff is incredibly friendly and helpful... The place is clean and secure, strategically located. it is not a party hostel which ensures that you will have a good night sleep. We will be coming back for sure, one of the best hostals in Costa Rica!

Room Tip: Deluxe 1 is the most beautiful room, with its own private small patio.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple