“Very nice and lots of good advice”

Hostel Casa Del Parque
Reviewed January 12, 2013

I experienced a very warm and friendly atmosphere in the hostel. The staff helped me so much to plan and to organize my stay in Costa Rica. I appreciate it a lot that the hostel is not a party hostel but a beautiful quiet place where I could relax and sleep very well. Thank you Hostel Casa Del Parque!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Cristina_TChicago

Reviewed January 12, 2013

I stayed several days at the hostel with my boyfriend and we had a wonderful time there! We had one of the nice private rooms, that was cleaned well and we had a lot of space just for the two of us . that was really great! We felt completely comfortable there! Thank you all for making stay so perfect! Looking forward to go there again!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nicole S
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Stayed one night in one of their private rooms, then headed out on a two-day excursion with a second night pre-booked upon our return...to our misfortune, we returned to the hostel to find our room had been double-booked and was no longer available. The explanation "system error" (with their new booking system) and a weak apology was to follow. They made a half-witted effort to book us in an alternate hostel close by, but said hostel was literally accessed off the train track, yeah, and appeared as a rooming house you would otherwise rent by the hour! We thought we had got the wrong place but then the non English-speaking, not so friendly man behind the counter produced a notepad which did in fact have our names on it. Luckily, we found a suitable replacement with competent staff able to rebook our next day's tour pick up location. Casa Del Parque's solution? Walk back here in the morning for your pickup. Totally unacceptable, poor business move leaving us to search for an alternative in the dark of night. COME ON GUYS...you can do better. System errors happen. It's how you deal with them that matters. Close to two weeks in Costa Rica, this was by far the worst expression of customer "service" we were faced with.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 2, 2013

One stuff is the rudest I have ever seen, who gave me a surprisingly bad experience on Christmas Eve. I arrived in San Jose on Dec 24, 2012, early evening hours, and checked in the hostel right after. Everything was fine but when I complained that the wifi is not working, the reception guy got angry. He began with blaming everything on my computer, and when I told him that my ipad works fine with every other hotel, plus I am an engineer and know what’s wrong with the internet, he lost patient. He told me if I keep complaining, he will throw me out of this hotel and give me my money back. He then thrumming on the desk and yelling: do u understand?! Blablabla… until I have to stop saying any words.

I felt extremly bad but had to stay as I have no choice. As a solo female backpacker who doesn’t speak Spanish, I didn’t know much about that country, that city, and didn’t know where to find another hotel on a raining Christmas eve when every business was closed. I rely on internet search but it’s not working. Actually all I want was to make a call to my parents to let them know that I was safely arrived San Jose, and say merry Christmas to my friends. Eventually I didn’t make it that day. It’s the worst Christmas eve I ever had.

Later on the manager showed up, told me if I don’t be mean, the stuff will treat me properly. I was angry and asked to bring the guy to an open discussion on what happened as probably he played behind and twisted the truth, but was refused. Now I see the funny side, that no one would listen to me, and they knew well on how to play games. So I decided to post it on website. As a backpacker, I traveled many countries and stayed at least 100 hotel/hostel/inn/B&Bs, and never seen a stuff more rude than this.

Being a professional telecom engineer, I know what happened to their internet: just a matter of cheap price they paid, occasional network problems plus Christmas eve rush hours. So I got up very early next morning and internet was very fast. I made smooth video calls to my family and friends in other countries.

Fairly speaking, everything else with this hostel was fine. It was clean, hot water available, safe, all other stuffs are very friendly, and its wifi works fine in the following days. But I will never go back again anyway.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Eva_Toronto_Canada
Reviewed January 1, 2013

On our trip trough Costa Rica and Nicaragua the casa del parque became our home in San José. Passing San José for several times, we stayed in the welcoming, wee-located hostel. The staff really wants the best for you and your journey, the big dorm is clean as well as the bathrooms and the terasse is just wonderful! The hostel doesn´t look like a typical hostel, the big rooms create a certain kind of atmosphere that is hard to describe. It´s not a party hostel although you can really have fun there for example with karaoke. In the kitchen, you can get in contact to other travellers very easily , as well as to Sonia, who is part of the cleaning staff ;)
To sum up, it´s a wonderful and specia place to be in San José, for us arriving in casa del parque is like coming home..

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank CorIna R
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Hostel is nice and well worth the money. Location is good. It is within walking distance from the bus stations which was convenient for me. You can get some snacks in AM/PM which is right around the corner.

Hostel manager forgot that I paid her for two nights the night I checked in and got an e-mail from her with expressed concern when I already left, so it was kind of weird for me. But overall stuff is really nice and friendly. And I would recommend this place to stay for a night when you passing San Jose.
Good luck guys.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank PavelN297
Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

Seriously, so clean and the staff is so friendly.
Strong Internet connection and comfortable clean beds.
Huge kitchen and close enough to the paseo but far enough to avoid most of the noise.
Such a beautiful and hostel and the garden and tv room make for great interaction with other travelers.

Highly recommended!