“A very nice surprise”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Narai Siam
Cuisines: Thai
Description: Http://www.eatout.co.za/restaurants/6302/search/port-elizabeth/thai/narai-siam-thai-kitchen
Reviewed February 19, 2012

The atmosphere at Nara Siam is very relaxed but the decor is tastefully down and gives one real THai feel. The food was excellent - ver tasty and with interesting combinations. They are ablew to cater for the people that enjoy hot, spicy food as well as those that are less adventurous. There are so many options that you can go there a very times. The price of the meal was very reasonable in relation to the quality. THe waiter was friendly and honest about the food, but just need look more professional and then the restuarant would get an excellent.
We will definitely be back

Reviewed January 25, 2012

Narai Siam is one of my absolute favourite restaurants in Port Elizabeth. We visit it often and is never disappointed with the food. That said, the amount of heat in the dishes is at times disappointingly inconsistent. I like my Thai food on the HOT side of the scale. Especially a green curry. I've had green curry at Narai probably close to a dozen times and its heat can vary from perfect (hot) 80% of the time, to medium 15%, to almost bland 5% (which I had last night).
Luckily this inconsistent heat is the ONLY problem I've ever had with the food and like I've said, 80% of the time its actually perfect. The food is usually very flavourful and the spices really well balanced.
For a perfect evening of snacking and chatting nothing beats just ordering a large amount of starters to share (we do this quite often) and skipping the mains.
I can really recommend the crumbed fried prawns, mini chicken kebabs with peanut sauce, and the chillied pork meatballs in phyllo pastry from the starter menu.
As mains, the curries (red, green, yellow, masaman, etc) are always great, the pork stirfry with cashew nuts and pineapple is also always amazingly good.

The service vary a LOT but is generally very friendly but dreadfully slow. So if you're not in for a laid back evening I would probably avoid this restaurant. Lately it has however improved.

This restaurant is perfect for people who like to try lots of tastes and who likes to share food around the table.

The best thing about Narai is off course the pricing. For the quality of the food the prices are dirt cheap. We went there last night in a group of 6 adults and 1 child, we all had way too much food and a reasonable amount of drink. INCLUDING a tip the evening cost less than R700 total.

Word of warning: the decor is very authentic thai and there are a lot of "phalic art". If you're a "sensitive viewer" the bathrooms might just shock you ;)