“Very dingy room”
Review of Gingerbread Hotel

Gingerbread Hotel
Reviewed April 14, 2010

Toured the Grenadines for a month in January and luckily only had to stay here for one night. We had stayed for 8 days at the Village Appts prior to this but they couldnt accomodate us for the extra night so we had to use the Gingerbread at short notice. The room was under the restaurant at the back of the office and not in the main block of rooms but even so we were still charged around $200 for the night compared with $90 at the Village Appts. The room was extremely tired looking around the kitchen and bathroom area although the bedroom area looked ok , we did have aircon which was very efficient . The main rooms from the outside did look very nice but cant comment on the interior as we didnt get to see inside other than the balconies which overlook the bay.
The owner instucted us only to put our money into the safe and not our passports as if we lost the key she didn't have another one to open the safe which we thought was quite odd. The restaurant has a lovely outlook over the bay / Belmont walkway and easy access to nightlife / restaurants etc. There is also a coffee shop at the side that do great banana cake etc. The travel shop next to the office are also extremely helpful and assisted us with an onward travel booking.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 21, 2008

unfortuanately the hotel is very tired and somewhat dirty. My husband and I managed to accumalate over 100 bites between us over a 3 day period. The bathroom was smelly and very old, also the kitchen was dirty, even inside the fridge. Apart from that it was fine! Glad to leave and move on to St Lucia.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank dulwich21
Reviewed March 8, 2008

As a result of a last minute cancellation by Windjammer Barefoot Cruises myself and a few others found ourselves searching for an alternative to sailing the Grenadines. After 3 days at Tranquillity on St. Vincent a few of us decided to ferry over to Bequia and spend some time. I have visited Bequia a number of times via WJ but never took the opportunity to return landbased. This time I did and happily so. Sept is low season when all the business owners take time for their own vacations. As a result the Frangipani, suggested by a friend was closed and we ended up at the Gingerbread.
Pat Mitchell and her staff could not have been more accommodating.

The room I picked was on the first floor. I say room but these are more like apartments without walls. They are huge with a kitchen and bathroom too. The room offered 2 twins and day bed, a breakfast nook plus a beautiful porch with furniture. The doors were louvered and sliding between the living quarters and porch. Overhead fans for air and mosquito nets which you will need surrounding each sleep area. I loved it here but then again I'm not a resort person. The view of the harbor each morning or evening made for a peaceful refuge. Great place to sit and relax.

Next to the hotel is the restaurant. Food was good and IMO reasonably priced. The restaurant and bar staff were the best. Friendly and welcoming. Diana, Ben, Nixon, and Francina could not have been nicer. Peggy a waitress absolutely one of the sweetest persons I have ever met. It is on the second floor overlooking Admirality Bay. Location on the Belmont Walkway made it easy to walk from place to place or hop a water taxi to Lower Bay or Princess Margaret Beach. The restaurant also has a snack bar and tables waterfront. Each morning I would stop by for a drink and some people watching.
There is also access to a computer in the office free of charge.

Pat Mitchell the proprietor was helpful to our group of vagabonds. She offered suggestions for us to amuse ourselves and was always available during work hours should we have a question or request. Pat is also the author of the book Bequia Sweet Sweet.

The only reservation I had was the room rate. It was $168US and we were about the only guests on the property for much of the 5 days we were there. 3 other women also traveled with us and booked individual rooms. The cost of my room was shared between 2 of us which for no air conditioning or cable TV I considered to be a little steep for off season. Still I would not hesitate to return in the future if only for a night or two and then onto a less expensive accommodation. It costs a fortune to reach this part of the world so on my budget pennies must be used to the best advantage.

I look forward to returning later this year and will most likely plan to spend a day or two at the Gingerbread.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank vinceygirl
Reviewed January 28, 2007

How would you like to pay USD195.- plus 17% service and tax to get a room with no view, situated on the ground floor under the kitchen of the restaurant with no hot water in the bathroom basin, an old shower, worn out bed sheets, very noisy A/C and Fridge and loud people of the staff screaming and laughing at all times?

Yes! We were very disappointed by what seems to be one of the best hotels on the island of Bequia. I have lived in the Caribbean for 3 years now and I have been travelling around quite a bit. Hotels are expensive but most of the time you get more or less value for money. Not this time!

I had visited the Gingerbread Hotel earlier and I had found the rooms quite nice, all facing the ocean with a nice balcony, and the price of USD 195 plus 17% felt almost reasonable… So I decided to spend the week-end with my wife on the island and called the Gingerbread. I was told the hotel was fully booked and I had already found a room at the Frangipani next door when the Gingerbread calls me back to say that indeed they have a room available. With the remembrance of what I had visited in mind, I immediately cancelled the Frangipani and confirmed at the Gingerbread, looking forward to a honeymoon week end…
The Gingerbread told me that they would charge my credit card in advance in order to finalise the reservation. I had no objection of course.
When we got there, we understood why they had charged in advance. My wife and I would have left immediately otherwise. The room was situated on the ground floor with no view, under the restaurant kitchen. We could hear every step of the staff in the kitchen and also their laughter and screams (we’ll never know why they had to shout at each other) simply very loud people. We were flatly told that there was no hot water in the bathroom basin but that we could use instead the basin of the kitchenette. You should have seen the kitchenette; simply very old and somewhat dirty. The shower was quite old as well and my wife could hardly turn the taps on and off. At first the A/C was not working but they fixed it and then we realised how noisy an old A/C unit can be, not to speak of the fridge that we had to unplug as those two were competing to see which one could be overheard. The nice thing about a noisy A/C unit is that it sort of covers up other disturbing noises.
When we uncovered the bed at night, we thought the sheets were stained but a second good look showed that they were just worn out… We decided we had enough for a day and switched off the lights (yes they worked).
The next day we go to the breakfast room. The breakfast was decent but we were only surprised when we asked for butter and were told that the toasts had already been buttered… We did not have to pay extra for the breakfast. Was it because we had complained about the price of the room? We’ll never know.
If you ever go there, avoid room 7 at any cost.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Flipper3845
Reviewed December 26, 2006

After an unpleasant night at our planned accomodation (Sugarapple) we walked in to the Gingerbread & loved what we saw.
Ended up staying 6 nights. It is spacious, nicely decorated & the large tile bath was super (hot water a bit sketchy.) The kitchen was small & a tad old but it was all we needed. Whenever we had a problem (no hot water, ice maker quit etc.) it was fixed promptly. Only odd thing was when I reported that there was no hot water in the kitchen, pat told me there was no hot water - that dishes are santized (when I asked how to do that) by pouring on some boiling water or lime juice. Later when we real;ized there was no hot water in the bath either, that got fixed (they rely a lot on solar but have a back up heater) & we then also had it in the kitchen again. Hmmm.

The daily maid service was friendly & efficient & much appreciated.

Yes, there were mosquitos but there are no screens or a.c. in 99% of the accomodation on this & many islands. The bed nets worked well & we were not bothered at all.

We loved sitting out on our porch overl;ooking the harbor - had many meals out there. Bugs not bad even after dark. Music from nextdoor bar only a problem 1 night a week til 11. Worse was last our last night when there was pounding bass from across the bay ALL night long (a Christmas celebration we think.)

We ate 2 dinners at the restaurant & both were wonderful, especially the shrimp curry. Lots of other nearby restaurants & bars to walk to, as well as all the shops & even the ferry to St. Vincent. Water taxis to Lowere Bay were great.

All in all, a super, laid back vacation spot. Dont miss the day on Friendship Rose to Tobago Quays!

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Braden
Reviewed July 26, 2006

I was in Bequia from July 20 until July 23 and it was fantastic. Really, really beautiful. We stayed at the Gingerbread and it was really quite charming. We had a ground floor suite that was very spacious. It was clean, staff was friendly and the view was lovely. I would definitely recommend the Hotel. We never ate at the hotel - we have friends on the island who own a restaurant - Tommy's Cantina - fabulous.

Marsha Watts
Toronto, Canada

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank MarshaWatts
Reviewed July 13, 2006

For reasons that I will not go into, my wife and I had to find an alternate to our original Bequia hotel, and wound up with an “economy cottage” at Gingerbread – the more upscale rooms in the main building were all taken. This was behind the main hotel and a bit up a hill. It had a very large living room, a normal and a small bedroom with mosquito netting, kitchen, and of course bath. It was clearly old, but clean and looked after by the maids quite well – although it was interesting that in the adequate supply of towels provided daily, I don’t think two ever matched. The main drawbacks were no air conditioning (two floor fans were provided) and no screens; hot water was also problematic. Keeping the louvers open for the breeze let in bugs, and the sun made it very hot at the end of the day. Unlike the other reports before and after our stay, we did not find the mosquitoes excessively abundant, although they certainly were present and could have been worse with wetter weather. We did not look at the newer accommodations, and although we could have changed to one of them toward the end of our 6 days, we did not feel that it was worth the effort. One advantage of our location was that it got less noise from entertainment at nearby establishments, that we were warned could be annoying in the main building. We only heard anything 2 nights, and that stopped around 11, but it could be a concern on season.

We ate twice in the main restaurant and thought the food was very good. There is also a small “café” with an outdoor sitting area on the waterfront that was a very pleasant place for breakfast or a drink. We had no issues with the staff or their attitudes at any time during our stay. The hotel is within an easy walk of other restaurants and the main business area. Should we return to Bequia, we would consider staying here again, but not in an “economy cottage” unless it was refurbished (SCREENS!)

Bequia is small and laid back, and not a destination for everyone, but if you know what “unspoiled Caribbean” means and enjoy it, it is very nice..

• Stayed: May 2006
Firefly Bequia Plantation Hotel
Bequia Beach Hotel
Bequia Beach Hotel
#1 of 2 in Friendship

Been to Gingerbread Hotel? Share your experiences!