“Overrated”

Blackboys Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Blackboys
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Blackboys Inn is a 14th Century public house and restaurant located in the pretty hamlet of Blackboys, situated on the outskirts of Uckfield, East Sussex. The Blackboys Team have been introducing exciting new menus and offering superb hospitality as well as offering traditional home cooked Sunday Roasts. To accompany your meal, there is a superb selection of Fine Harveys Ale and also an excellent wine selection. Whether you want a family Sunday Roast or an informal gathering with friends or even a celebration with an extra special twist, you can be assured of fresh, seasonal food at its best. The Blackboys Team are very sociable and enjoy nothing more than hosting regular entertainment, live music, quiz nights and wine tasting evenings.
Reviewed May 31, 2013

May 2013. Chairs are really uncomfortable if like me you're tall. Menu looks pretty good. There were four of us for lunch. Starters were very good, particularly king prawns and chorizzo. I ordered a medium rare fillet steak at £19.95. The cook's first effort was to give me a well done steak which I sent back. The next effort was marginally better but no one asked if I was satisfied. My advice is don't go for the steak!! Chips were so so and vegetables were unexciting. A bottle of prosecco is almost £20. We have no negative comment re the service. This venue has a good reputation in the area though based on this week's experience we can't understand why. I found it claustrophobic with tables too close together. We wouldn't choose to go there again.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Just as one would imagine an English country pub to be. An excellent choice of beers and ales with reasonable wines by the glass. Food choice was very good with solid home cooked meals including the best steak and kydney pudding I have ever had and my wife really enjoyed the pork belly. Service in the evening seemed slightly better than our lunchtime visit and they dealt with our table for 7 very efficiently.

1  Thank iansroaming
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Myself and my wife stumbled upon this wonderful pub whilst out driving our classic jaguar in the Sussex countryside. We planed on just having a quick drink and moving on but the Sunday roast looked so good we had to try it, and I am so pleased we did as it was fabulous as where the desserts. We has since made two more trips from London just to visit this pub and it just gets better every time. The setting, food, ales and staff are all just delightful and we hope to see a lot more of them in the future.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

I visit the blackboys on a regular basis and have never been disappointed, the staff are always very welcoming and food is always of a very high standard with a large menu to choose from! Defiantly my favourite pub in East Sussex.

1  Thank YNChapman
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Enjoyed a great meal mid week at this popular inn. Couldn't fault the food at all - excellent quality and service was very good. Beautiful location too.

2  Thank lindylooWestSussex