“We Loved Kuredu !” 5 of 5 bubbles

“We Loved Kuredu !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2009

Just got back from nearly 3 weeks on Kuredu in the Maldives ,
with my 2 daughters - on 8 and 9 and a friend
We went with Sir Lankan Airways..And they were better than THAI ! Really good. Amazing view with the seaplane ! I'm no longer afraid of flying, after that.
We stayd in a Koamas Beach Villa on the south side- and that part was defently the nicest one. They cleaned our room twice a day. The staff was friendly and the food was nice. We dont have anything to complain about, at all... Excellent experience .Very nice !!
We dont think this is a place , to bring a child between 0 and 3. It's so HOT there- and it's too warm for the smallest ones.. There is also no children activities on this resort.. And this is NOT the place , to run screaming around. So older children is having a better time. My girls, really enjoyd the Island. They are into relaxing, reading, snorkeling, swimming in the sea ..and likes to go for walks and on trips. They found the north side, and sharks really intresting. And the Island is big enough- so you dont get bored so fast .. But even they, reacted on the wild 2 and 3 year olds- running around in the resturant , and all over ,screaming and crying all the time.. And on the parents, that just didn't care about what they were doing or not doing. --Because we went there fo have a quiet time ..So we do understand, why many of the Maldivian resorts are only for kids above 12 years.If I had gone on this trip, without my girls .. I would have choosen a resort for adults ! ..We are planning to go back to the Maldives..But are then thinking about trying one of the other Islands-- to see something new.
Extremly expensive there ..so the All Inclusive is woth paying for. Good value for us Horrible to come back to lots of snow and minus degrees..after days in a tropical paradis.

• Liked — the beach , the great weather ..the staff ...the sun ...so clean and nice ..Evrything !
  • Disliked — I'm sorry to say, but this is defently NOT for those between 0 and 3 !
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
5 Thank Savannah78

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,435)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Esher, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2009

'Scattered across the equator in the middle of the Indian Ocean, the 1,100 gem-like islands of the Maldives all have palm fringed sparkling white beaches, turquoise lagoons, clear warm waters and coral reefs teeming with abundant varieties of marine flora and fauna.' And it's a constant 29 to 31 degrees C all year round.

Well that's what the brochure says. Sounds like just what I need after an exceptionally bleak and wet English autumn. Lets see...

But before I write about the resort, I simply must mention the little sea planes. Now I'm not a plane spotter or anything but the sea planes are pretty much the first thing you see of the Maldives and they're definitely worth a mention. Just as when you first step out of any airport in the world one of the first things you see is the Taxi rank, well the same is true here in the Maldives. Except here the taxis are immaculate little red and white sea planes. You can get a boat if you really want, but if you do that your 35 minute transfer becomes a 5 hour transfer. No thanks.

The sea plane taxi service has its own little lounge where you can sit with free drinks and wait for your transfer. The lounge has an open aspect and looks out onto the sea and several wooden jetties where the sea planes come and go. There's a staggering number of planes coming and going all the time and it's quite fun to watch, and it's not as if I'm in a hurry. Besides, I've always been a little nervous of flying so the longer I wait the more planes I will see successfully landing and taking off and the safer I will feel.

I confess some interest in planes and was soon chatting to one of the pilots. Turns out both they (the pilots) and the planes are all Canadian. Each one seats up to 19 passengers + 2 crew + 1 flight attendant. Official uniform is smart shirt, shorts and bare feet ! I suppose this is the Maldives after all. Very laid back. I think I'm going to like it here.

In the end the sea plane transfers turned out to be one of my favourite bits of the holiday. There is something fun and exciting (and a bit scary) about riding in these tiny little planes, especially after spending 11 hours cooped up inside a massive commercial air liner. And it's a great way to be introduced to the extraordinary weirdness that is the Maldives. Surely there can be nowhere else remotely like this place on earth. Once airborn, everywhere you look there are literally dozens of perfect-looking little desert islands. And just think - each island is apparently a coral-encrusted summit of a range of submerged volcanoes.

35 minutes later, after an exciting 'landing' on the sea, the plane is tethered to the jetty and my fellow passengers and I step out onto the little island resort of Kuredu. Although large by Maldivian standards, Kuredu is still little more than a palm-covered sandbank with a number of beach bungalows nestled in discreetly amongst the palms. On the other side of the island some newer bungalows are suspended above the lagoon on stilts. One or two larger buildings, all very natural looking with thatched roofs, turn out to be the hotel reception and various bars and restaurants.

The interior of the island is teeming with life, like a rainforest, with an abundant growth of palm trees, bamboo, banana, mangroves, breadfruit trees, banyans, tropical vines and coconut palms. And all the wildlife that goes with it, including exotic-looking birds, lizards, snakes and giant fruit bats. Fantastic. None of which is in the least bit shy.
The Maldivians themselves are all genuinely friendly and courteous and outnumber the guests by two to one. Only the front-line staff (hotel reception, bar and restaurant staff etc) speak English but that's enough.

The whole island is covered in immaculate talcum-soft white sand - not just the beaches but all of the various paths and walkways, even the hotel reception and restaurant areas, and no one is expected to wear shoes. Cool linen clothing and bare feet are the order of the day in the Maldives.

The brochures call it Barefoot Luxury and apparently the islands of the Maldives are famous for it, although it's news to me. I confess though that I loved the naturalness and simplicity of this idea - I've always loved that first moment on holiday when you get to kick off your shoes at the end of a long journey and sink your bare feet into the cool soft sand of some distant and exotic destination. So naturally I embraced this lifestyle and my feet quickly became used to being luxuriously bare all of the time. Fantastic. I'm going to like the Maldives.

It turns out that bare feet are a great leveller and everyone seems to dress down accordingly. There's certainly no need to worry about dress code here, even though this is an expensive resort. It's great, just like being allowed to lounge around in the house in your pyjamas on a Sunday, but here you get to do it all the time ! Come to the Maldives - where it's fine to have breakfast in bed, to slink around in bare feet all day and all you have to do is to relax.

Actually there was one place where you had to wear shoes - the Gymnasium. But I never once went in there. Not even to look. I'm on holiday.

There's a Health Spa here on Kuredu and following the advice of a friend that was the first place I went. A relaxing 60-minute massage is a perfect way to start the holiday after that long journey. I went for something called an Oriental Massage (firm) and it was wonderful although I fell asleep towards the end and don't remember all of it.

Once settled I spent most of the time catching up on my reading but also did a fair bit of snorkelling most days. It's an intriguing thought that as I lie on the beach soaking up the sun, I am actually perched on top of a huge underwater volcano sticking out of the Indan Ocean. Hmmm, probably best if I keep thoughts like that to myself.

I was able to hire the snorkelling stuff for my whole holiday for just US$30 (about £15). At first I just did the snorkelling to cool off when I started to get too hot, but my very first snorkelling trip was just so indescribably amazing that I was soon hooked and found myself signing up for several of the organised snorkelling excursions. Snorkelling here is literally like swimming in an aquarium. The water is amazingly clear and the fish in view at any one time must number in the thousands. All tropical varieties of stunning abundance and beauty. I even found a little clown fish (Nemo).

There are some dangers in the water though. They have scorpion fish, stonefish and lionfish here, any one of which can end your holiday real quick. Not necessarily lethal (if you can get help in time) but certainly very very nasty by any standards. Swimming and snorkelling on your own is strongly discouraged.

And apparently there's a 3-metre Conger Eel lives near the jetty. I'm sure he's lovely when you get to know him but that's definitely not something I want to come face-to-face with. I looked them up on the internet and it turns out that they're harmless and nocturnal, which was some comfort.

Come to think of it, as I write this, I realise that I only found out all this safety stuff because I was thoroughly briefed when I went and hired the snorkelling gear. If I hadn't done that then I wouldn't have known anything about the highly poisonous fish lurking just offshore in the shallows, or the massive Conger Eel and goodness knows what else. In fact I distinctly remember that the blurb in the bungalow said that there are no dangerous animals living on the islands. True enough, but a bit misleading I think.

Of course none of this worried me in the slightest. I loved the snorkelling excursions and exploring all of the little islands nearby. It reminded me in a way of blissful childhood holidays with no concerns or responsibilities, being allowed to go exploring barefoot and feeling like you're the first one to see all sorts of amazing flora and fauna.

Alas they have Mobile Phones in paradise. On the way here I couldn't help noticing the large and ugly antenna masts on many of the islands as we flew passed, and sure enough everyone of my fellow holiday makers seems to have their mobile phones with them. There are signs in all of the bungalows requesting that mobile phones be turned off, but no one takes any notice.

Everything here is all inclusive, even the drinks with the meals, and from what I've heard I think that's fairly standard on all of the islands. Now I'm not normally keen on all inclusive deals as I like to be free to wander about on holiday and do my own thing - such as trying different bars and restaurants. But here all inclusive makes perfect sense because these islands, even the big ones, are still tiny by any standards. There isn't anywhere to wander off to even if you wanted to.

Actually there was just one little gem of a place that I was fortunate enough to find that wasn't part of the all inclusive package. A little 'Tea Shop' at the very end of the jetty that opens in the evenings to sell all kinds of exotic teas and liqueur coffees (and cakes). This was a great place to while away the evenings and having found it I ended up there most nights.

Doesn't sound much but the great thing about this little cafe is that they shone these powerful lights onto the water and attract all kinds of fish, turtles etc, including some quite large and exotic things like sting rays and dolphins. I saw a few turtles and lots of rays (which are massive), but no dolphins. Somehow I always missed the dolphins.
It's very hot at night, uncomfortably so, and the air conditioning in my little bungalow proves essential. I know this because I tried switching it off on the first night (it was noisy). Not a good idea. The other thing that can make the nights uncomfortable are the mosquitos. I know it's not their fault and I shouldn't be cross with them, they're just doing what comes naturally I suppose, but they are just so annoying. Who would have thought that such a tiny almost invisible creature could cause so much havoc. Mind you I got off very lightly - a lot of people, girls especially, seemed to have a very bad time indeed. I felt really sorry for them. A holiday where you're covered in super-itchy mosquito bites isn't much of a holiday. Maybe men don't taste so good.

The water is shallow (only two or three meters) all the way out to about 500 feet from the shore when it suddenly gets very deep indeed and the lovely visible sandy bottom is effectively replaced by a very abrupt and forbidding blackness. The overall effect is like swimming over a cliff and I never quite got used to it in all the time I was there. You suddenly feel an awful long way from the shore and the imagination runs riot, who knows what massive creatures live down there in that blackness ! It's the stuff of nightmares and scares the hell out of me just writing about it now.

To keep fit I went swimming for half an hour or so most days. There are various buoys set out in the water (they seem to mark the edge of the underwater 'cliff') and these make a great open-water swim course, just like doing a triathlon. The water is like a lake and very nice to swim in. I did miss having a wetsuit though. Not because it was cold but because it feels so much safer when you're out on your own in deep water. It was on one of these swims that I saw my first turtle, a baby one about six inches across. We swam together for a few minutes. Fantastic.

A mini heatwave towards the end of my holiday put an abrupt end to my early morning swims when the sea around the island literally filled with masses of jelly fish. No one seemed to know much about this phenomena, or could tell me whether or not it was safe to swim. But I had a go anyway and found it very unpleasant. I persisted for a while in the hope of getting out passed the jelly fish into clear water but this didn't happen. If anything it got quite a lot worse and what with me being out there on my own and after what felt like a few stings I lost my nerve and swam back. Another reason to wear a wetsuit. I wont do anything like that again.

Literally just two days before coming here I bought myself a little iPod and went to a lot of trouble to load it with stuff to listen to on holiday. Unfortunately this promptly broke down after just a few hours. Of course it was under guarantee and fixed easily enough when I got home, but that guarantee was a fat lot of use to me on holiday and I'm not very pleased with Apple right now. Rubbish.

The little island of Kuredu has a massive sand spur that extends the island about a quarter of a mile west (towards the setting sun). Not a journey for a weak swimmer or the faint hearted since the spur is incomplete and can disappear altogether at high tide.

But the sand spur is a great place to catch the spectacular golden sunsets. It's also an amazing place to visit at night and provides me with my first ever experience of ocean phosphorescence. Hundreds of tiny little squares of bright blue light activated by disturbances in the water - either the small waves lapping at the shore or just your own feet splashing about in the shallows. Once activated, each little speck of phosphorescence lasts for about five or ten seconds. Extraordinarily lovely.

I'm particularly pleased about this because one way or another I've been hearing/reading about this ocean phosphorescence thing all my life and have always longed to see it. And yet somehow it has always eluded me, despite travelling extensively these last few years. I was beginning to think it was a myth or some gross exaggeration. It's neither. It's a very real and wonderful thing.

That's it. Not bad, certainly everything they promised and everything I hoped for - a few lazy days spent reading with a bit of snorkelling plus an occasional gentle swim or a lazy barefoot walk around the island when I felt like exercise. Plus some great food and yummy cocktails and liqueurs. A very lazy holiday by my standards and I liked it. I could get used to more of those.

If I was to go again (and I probably will) I'd try to find somewhere a bit more remote. Kuredu is quite a large and commercial resort by Maldivian standards. After talking to various people, including the official Kuoni brochure photographer, apparently Baros or Thudufushi are amongst the places for me to try next time. Much smaller and much more exclusive. Maybe something to keep in mind for that extra special once-in-a-lifetime holiday. But I'm being ridiculously fussy. Kuredu was just fine and I'm sure all of the other little islands are just fine too.

It still feels a bit weird being back in England after being in the Maldives just two weeks ago. When you go away in the winter the contrasts are always amazing. I miss the gentle sea breeze and the lovely warm sun on my skin as I read my books, having no concerns or responsibilities, splashing about in a lovely warm sea, snorkelling for hours on end in what seems like the worlds largest aquarium filled with every exotic sea-creature imaginable. I had an amazing time.

And it feels very odd to have to wear shoes again after all that time going absolutely everywhere barefoot. I suppose that's when you really know that a holiday like this is over...

• Stayed February 2008, traveled solo
26 Thank JohnnySkates
Cheshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2009

We booked last minute with dream ticket (excellent service), and traveled one week later, and flew with Emirates (also excellent).
We stayed in a Beach Bungalow (394). We asked for an uninterrupted view of the ocean, which we got, with a break in the foliage. We were satisfied with the accommodation with no complaints. However, here are a few points which we'd like to mention. From our beach bungalow and numbers downwards, the beach is rockier. We were pleased that we had taken aqua shoes! However, the Beach bungalows from about 440 upwards (please check) face the water villas, which, in our opinion, spoils the view. There are less rocks here but there is a sand pump in operation to restore this part of the beach. (its still very nice though).
The garden bungalows are tucked behind the O Villas and miss out on the beach experience. You can walk between the villas onto the beach but we're not sure how you'd get sun beds through. We think that it's worth paying the extra for a beach bungalow.
They also have a lovely shallow lagoon.
We'd like to mention that there were some families with young children around the lagoon (perfect waters for young children). So if you prefer it child free then you need to seriously consider O Villa's or Sangu Water Villas.
We recommend that you study the Kuredu website map, to make sure that this is the accommodation that you really want - after all, you're paying a lot of money and travelling a long way so you don't want to be disappointed.
Unfortunately we had reason to complain to the Management about noise from a Staff Party. Several days later we received a Fruit Platter and bottle of Champagne, and also a room upgrade.
This was much appreciated and was a chance to have a different experience in a Water Villa. Great watching pretty large fish swimming around - we even saw a 2 meter harmless reef shark swimming under our villa! We actually liked the bungalow and the water villa - difficult to choose - so perhaps a week in each!
With the upgrade we also had an upgrade to our meal plan and a chance to try all of the buffet restaurants. The upgraded plan had some refinements, however we thought the the food was very similar. We are vegetarian and had an issue about this which we sorted out. We would however recommend that you notify the management if you are Vegetarian so that a vegetarian meals can be prepared for you. We thought that the food was excellent.
We have always hankered after a trip to the Maldives and we are not disappointed. Kuredu is one of the larger islands, but that's relative as you can still walk round it in about 40 minutes.
There's low key entertainment so we wouldn't call it 'a lively island' - pretty laid back all in all.
There was some building work going on, but it was far enough away not to disturb us.
The currency is US dollars (we used small notes for tips). But there is a signing system so no money changes hands - you just settle your account at the end. Maldivian money is not accepted on Kuredu at all, so it's not worth getting any at the airport.
We are experienced travelers and recommend Kuredu as a largish, well established and organised island. Happy travels!

• Liked — Beach view
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank escapeeCheshire
east sussex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2009

don't let anyone say this is a terrible place!
we had a super time, we had a beach villa No. 322 in the O resort, it was magic.
the hotel staff were superb and very friendly.
the room was very clean and the view was astounding!.
we will be going back next year for sure.

• Liked — the location on the beach, it was heaven
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank jspEastSussex
Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2009

We stayed at kuredu from the 11th to the 26th january 2009, we had a lovely time we stayed in a beach bungalow 409, which wasn't too far a walk to the restaurant, this was our 2nd time to the maldives we stayed at sun island last time, they are both worth staying at, the maldives never dissappoint in my view, The only thing i will say is that they have quite a lot of building work going on at the moment it did'nt spoil our stay, but one day it did annoy us a little with the cement mixer going all day and until the early hours!!! don't let that put you off, the island is just paradise.we had a lovely waiter called "joy" he was a gem!!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank DEVOBIT
Colchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2009

My first visit to The Maldives, and with such a large choice of resorts I selected Kuredu on the recommendation of a friend. I booked online with Hayes & Jarvis, which came in significantly cheaper than Kuoni, and offered flights with Qatar Airways via Doha. I have used Qatar AW many times before for business and found them to be good.

Myself, wife and 11-year-old had booked a Beach Villa and were upgraded to one with a jaccuzzi on arrival. I had read some very interesting and informative stuff on the official Kuredu website forum before departure, but was still unsure as to the part of the island we would be assigned to. I knew the "O" resort would be out of the question as they do not allow children under 12. Our villa was 220, situated on the south side of Kuredu about 5 mins from the main pool, allocated restaurants, jetty and "street".

After two weeks we formed a fairly definitive idea of the resort areas. We are a family, inclined to be active (swimming in the pool, snorkelling, walking, table tennis, beach games) and happy to socialise (by the pool, at the pool bar). If this is you then the south of the island is definitely for you. There is top-class snorkelling right off the beach – we regularly saw turtles, stingray and even reef shark within 30-40 metres of the waterline – the house reef is 150 metres offshore where you will see anything you want to see! The beach all along the south is perfect and your Jacuzzi/Beach Villa is a stone’s throw from the lapping waves.

The only thing to be aware of is that the seaplanes will be landing/taking off all day and they are noisy. They are active from anytime between sunrise/sundown, but being an aircraft nut I didn’t mind this at all – in fact it enhanced my holiday! Needless to say the seaplane transfer to and from Male is a treat in itself, great views and an experience in it’s own right. Those squeamish about flying will find takeoffs/landings lumpier than on terra firma and the cabin noise levels are high.

The north side of the island (water villas, beach bungalows, “O” resort villas) is much quieter and would probably be more suitable for those travelling to The Maldives who wish to get away from it all. Be aware that the beach is not as extensive and it is generally more rocky/corally if you wish to enjoy the sea. I spoke with people who had previously stayed in the older Beach Bungalows and had been unhappy with their condition and location (some are set back from the shore in the interior). I looked around the “O” resort pool and restaurant area (as I said, no children under 12) which appeared classy and tranquil. For me it felt rather sterile, but that is very much a personal opinion as I demand a little more life and activity from my holiday.

There are a la carte restaurants which can be booked, but to be honest I never felt the need to venture beyond our allocated buffet restaurant (Koamas). I found the food perfectly adequate and just as importantly my son was happy with the selection on offer. Restaurant staff very good too. It is possible to upgrade to AI Gold, which is probably viable if you want to spend all day ordering cocktails and emptying your minibar for the sake of it.

As far as activities go I think they have the balance just about right. The dive centre is busy and there are obviously a large number of Scuba and snorkel divers using it, both experienced and beginners. If you wish to book trips it’s worth doing well in advance as they seem to fill up quickly. I took two snorkelling trips which were well organised and catered well for all abilities.

This is probably one of the larger Maldivian resorts but probably has something for most tastes.

• Liked — The beach location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
9 Thank Goalhanger
Maldives
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2009

We stayed at the Kuredu Resort between Tuesday 12th December and Thursday 21st December in a Sangu Jacuzzi Beach Villa, for 9 nights.
we booked our honeymoon with Kuoni, and I can only praise them and would certainly book with them again. The rep at the resort was excellent, very informative and sorted out any queries quickly and was not a pushy sales woman.
we flew direct from Heathrow with Sri Lankan Airways, airline were superb and would strongly recommend them. It took approximately 10 hours. Landed in Male where we had a short bus trip to sea plane departures. We had to wait approx an hour and a half before sea plane took off but the sea plane waiting area is very pleasant with lots of seating, nice views and refreshments.
the sea plane transfer took approximately forty minutes to kuredu. From friends and website reviews it was built up to be an amazing experience however we thought it was OK, more of means to an end. Be warned though with no air conditioning it does get very hot and uncomfortable. But I am sure it was better than a 4 hour boat trip to the resort.
the sea plane landed on the island, some islands you get dropped off on a platform in the sea and a boat takes you to your resort.
our sea plane carried us and our luggage. At this point I took off my flip flops and did not put them on for the next ten days. On arrival on the Island Sangu guests were taken in the Sangu taxi to the Sangu resort reception area. We were given cold towels and coconut ice cream which were very much appreciated. We were given details about the resort, our welcome meeting and were handed our keys.
we stayed in Jacuzzi beach villa number 132. From reading the hotels website I emailed prior to arrival to get an outdoor bed next to the Jacuzzi, and we were lucky enough to get one, a nice extra if you fancy it.
The room was exceptionally large, with air conditioning and a ceiling fan, a security deposit box, CD player, tea/coffee making facilities and a wardrobe, no drawers though. The bed was very large, with two iron chairs and a small table and dressing table. Very impressed with the room. To the rear of the room is a door leading out to the bathroom area, with a toilet, double sinks and large shower. Leading on from this is an open area with a washing line, the outdoor bed and Jacuzzi.
the front of the room looks out onto the white sand and palm trees. On the veranda there are two chairs for your sole use and on the sand in front of your villa are two sun lounges for your sole use. Could not fault the room at all, very impressed.
Sangu guests get the use of their own restaurant and bar. The bar is a nice extra to have as it is the only bar located near to the Sangu accommodation. The restaurant is a self service buffet. We stayed on an all inclusive basis, which gave us breakfast, lunch and dinner included. Breakfast consisted of a choice of four cereals, fruit, 2 pastries, toast, and a mixture of hot food including bacon, baked beans and a chef cooking eggs, pancakes and omelettes. Your waiter remained with you at every meal for your entire stay. The waiters were very good. Lunch varied there would also be a soup, a cold salad buffet, a two or three hot meat dishes to choose from and three or four desserts. Dinner had a different theme every night including Indian, BBQ, Chinese, Mexican, again with a soup, salads and four desserts. If the weather was good enough some tables were set up on the sand next to the sea and they were fantastic. I would describe the food as OK, it had no wow factor and after a few days it all tasted the same and after 10 days I was really not enjoying eating it. The resort has three other restaurants, but I looked at the prices which were steep and thought why should I have to pay those prices on an all inclusive holiday when the food is not good enough in the main restaurant. Included in the all inclusive deal were limited drinks, the basic soft drinks, wine and beer. No cocktails, these were being sold for about $5/6/7 and prices for premium branded alcoholic drinks were high. The gold all inclusive package included these drinks so it may work out cheaper to pay this up front, this also included the mini bar in the room.
we bought our own snorkelling gear and I think this was a good idea because turtles do not always show up when you want them to so it was handy to have our equipment at hand. The snorkelling is excellent especially off the jetty. Canoes and windsurfing was available to do at no extra cost and twice a week lessons would be put on. There was a huge range of other water sports to try but all at a cost.
The Island is unique for having golf course, six holes. With a driving range and putting area. The golf pro does an hour introduction once a week for free, this was very good. After this you pay for everything. To play you have to pay $10 a round per person not including balls and balls cost $12 for the cheapest pack. Again you pay for the driving range. The golf club has its own bar and TV and has a nice relaxed atmosphere. The resort runs golf competitions, surprise surprise you have to pay to enter, $10 Texas scramble, golf ball in the pool you have to buy a $5 cocktail to gain entry. Found the concept of paying to enter competitions on an all inclusive shocking, especially when the prizes were cocktails or such like. Crab racing was more entertaining but you have to bid for your own crab, they can go for up to $90 each. The entertainment or lack of it was the biggest let down. I have never seen so many people play cards, scrabble or monopoly before in my life! We had to buy a pack in the resort! Read all of my books in the first three days because in the evenings there is nothing to do. In the day the same is very true except you have the beautiful beaches, snorkelling, and pool to keep you occupied. The swimming pool is great, plenty of sun lounges and a pool bar.
we also made use of the spa which was wonderful; prices are about what you would expect about $60 for an hours massage. They do about every treatment you could imagine.
we had the same room cleaner for the entire stay who was excellent, towels were regularly changed and the bed made twice a day. A bottle of water was also let in your room every night so you did not have to pay for bottled water.
the resort has a number of shops, which sell basic items you may need. I found that gifts to take home were expensive and were much cheaper at Male airport. The resort had its own jewellery shop and water sports clothing/equipment shop. The resort has a system where you pay for nothing at the time you simply give your room number and it goes on your bill at the end of the stay, even in the jewellery shop!
we walked around the whole island which took just over an hour and saw the other types of accommodation. Our Jacuzzi beach villa was virtually identical to a beach villa, the beach bungalows looked like a tin shack, but if you don't want to spend much time in it I guess it does the job. We went in a water villa which are lovely but some what isolated and you don't have access to your own bit of beach because at the rear of the water villa are the beach bungalows.
something we both found really annoying was the sound of the sea planes from where our room is they were really loud. The first one leaves about 7am and there are a few a day landing and taking off. It felt like an airport hotel.
the sunset cruise included in the price of the holiday was excellent and we got some lovely shots.
I walked past the main restaurant for non-sangu guests it looked like ours only larger, seemed quite compact for the number of people though.
the bars on the resort all had nice furniture, some bed you could lie down on and chill, clean and with a nice atmosphere.
we were honeymooners and were told we would get sparkling wine, fruit and t-shirts on arrival. This was not the case, after reminding them we got the fruit and wine but the t-shirts did not show up till the final night with flowers on the bed, this was after asking twice.
The night before we left we had to settle our final bill, this came to $450, quite a lot considering that we did not use the mini bar, have any non-inclusive alcohol or eat at non-inclusive restaurants. Most of it was entertaining ourselves, golf, competitions and at the Spa!
Departure is very organised and the day before you get an itinerary of where to be at what time. Our flight back to Heathrow was via Colombo in Sri Lanka, which although was tiring there were no real problems.
In summary I was disappointed, the weather was bad which did not help Since the tsunami the seasons have shifted and the June/July rain did not come which has resulted in unusually high amounts of rain since late October. The wind and the rain meant that a number of sea planes were cancelled and the only form of transfer was boat, we saw people getting off the boat soaking wet and still being ill from sea sickness.
I would never go back to Kuredu or recommend it to anyone. The island without the hotel is amazing; our Jacuzzi beach villa was great but little after that. I think the Maldives is a special place but this resort does not do it justice.

• Liked — Sangu jacuzzi beach villa and snorkelling
  • Disliked — The food and lack of entertainment
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank muraray
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kuredu
Cheval Blanc Randheli
#1 of 1 in Kanifushi Island
Hurawalhi Island Resort
Hurawalhi Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Hurawalhi

Been to Kuredu Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!