“"The Return to Paradise"”

Kuredu Island Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kuredu
Nottingham
“"The Return to Paradise"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2008

Date - 8th January 2008-23 January 2008

We have just returned from our second visit to Kuredu and are just as amazed as we were following the first visit! There is no doubt about it that this island is everything that you would expect from the maldieves and so much more.

On both visits we chose to upgrade to a Beach Villa and this time were placed in the brand new "O" Resort. A little aprehensive as we knew the original beach villa's were lovely and we had not seen or read alot about the new "O" villa's, we could not have been more surprised! Beautifully furnished with wooden floors and solid wood furnature, spacious outdoor bathroom, desk, table, small sofa and king size bed. Yes it is true that the best part of the beach is on the other side of the island with the original beach villa's but that is more than compensated for by the "O" restort's private pool and modern bar again in keeping with the wooden decore and host to some of the most amazing views on the island.
Upgrading from AI Beach Bungalow to AI Beach Villa means that you can take your breakfast, lunch and dinner in a variety of 4 different restaurants, Bothi (BB can ONLY use this restaurant and it gets very busy), Komas (fantstic, informal and situated by the main pool), Sangu (the main restaurant for the water villa's), and the stylish "O" restaurant. There are also 3 a la carte restaurants, The Beach (great lobster). The Far East, and Franco's for pizza etc.. In all of these restaurants your All Inclusive drinks still appy!

The main pool was where we chose to spend a lot of our time, very relaxed and surprisingly quiet compared to a large amount of guests on the island. Only a few minuites out on the still blue sea in a canoe and you are surounded by Sea Turtles and Sting Rays, wind surfing and sailing are also available on your All Inclusive package.

Kuredu is 40 minuites away from Male on a sea plane, the flight boasts some of the most amazing views over the Indain Ocean however is not for the faint hearted. Our sources reveal there is a new International airport that will be opening within the next two years in a neighbouring atoll meaning Kuredu will be only a 15 min boat ride away, good news for thoes not too keen on the sea plane.

All in all Kuredu is a fantastic holiday choice and I will be very happy to help anyone wanting any information.

Sally & Jon

• Liked — Beautiful Decore
  • Disliked — Nothing
18 Thank sallymartin79

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,452)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Paris
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2008

We stayed at Kuredu Island Resort for a week, just returning from there 2 days ago.It was a wonderful holiday, the best ever.
I have to say that all the pictures or webcam are not as nice and lovely compared to the reality. Reality at Kuredu is far better that their website shows.

We were staying on a "Beach Villa", part of the "O Resort", the high standard part of the island. We were delighted. Beaches along those villas on the northern part are not as good as the southern one, but you have more privacy, less people walking in front your terrase.

Food is excellent, as far as far as we have tried Sangu and O Restaurant.
Many activities on the island, from snorkelling to diving, canoe, sailing, golf, beach volley. People there are very nice, your have your own waiter for your room when you go to the restaurant : that give more friendly conversations while ordering or just chating ...
Pro divers center have very skilled people and many diving sites are easily accessible.

Don' t forget to bring sun cream ...
We booked our stay via spotmaldives.com

• Liked — A lot of space, nice view from our bed. Terrasse with bed.
  • Disliked — nothing
1 Thank web50000
England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2008

This holiday was to celbrate my 60th Birthday, for which I took all my immediate family, 5 adults and 2 children, booking Beach Villas and all upgraded to the All Inclusive Gold tarrif.
The dream I had was to wake each morning and look out upon pure white sand and gentle waveletts breaking on the shore. This was not the case.
We flew by Monarch Airlines and suffered the well known cramped seating conditions. Upon arrival at Male we were transported to the Air Taxi Port to await our tranfer to Kuredu. We waited and waited for our seaplane watching others flying to the same resort as us and upon each request about the availability of our plane we were told a time, this eventually totalled 4 1/2 hours until we could board one. The flight was worth waiting for spectacular views of some of the other islands scattered below us.
Once we touched down at Kurede we walked to the Reception Building, without the much refered too Bongo Drum Welcome.
Here we were told that we were all "upgraded" to the new 'O' Villa area of the Island. This sounded like we were the lucky ones. We were directed to a waiting people carrier taxi and driven the 1 1/4 miles to the other end of the Island where we were shown to the 'O'Villa Reception. As we waited we were given a fruit cocktail each to drink and then asked to sign for our keys. My wife, who suffers some disability, our daughter and myself had 'O' Villa 282 while my other daughter her husband and their two children were given 'O'Villa 281. Ideal we thought, as I knew these had only been completed a month or two previous. Upon findind our Villas we were totally taken aback by the pure luxury of the interior. A large double bed located centrally in the spacious room and a single bed to one side for our daughter. The fixtures and fitting were wonderful. We changed into the lighter clothes that we had brought in our hand luggage as we had been told the larger cases would be arriving later that evening, which they did. We then made our way back to the 'O' Villa Reception to have our first meal as we were hungry following our 16 hour journey from home.
This is where things started to go terribly wrong.
Due to one of my Grandchildren being 9 years old she would not be permitted to eat in the Restaurant and also that her brother 12 years old would not be permitted to use the swimming pool as the depth we were told is 10 feet and only strong swimmers are allowed to enter the water. I might add that both these children swim better than I. We were directed away from the 'O'Villa area and told to find another Restaurant. Each one that we found we were directed onward with us finishing up back at the Main Reception where we had first arrived. From there we found the Koamas Restaurant and ate. Following completion of our meals we then walked back to our Villas, remembering my wifes' disability, and then collapsed into bed.
The next morning we looked out of the Villa to the sea to find that the beach in front of our villas was not as expected, pure white soft sand but speckled black and grey which I feel must have been due to the excavations when building the 'O'Villas. Beyond the beach was the sea but the terrain for approximatly 20 meters was covered in dead black coral under about 20cm of water. To walk across this the get the the sea was impossible. I fell twice in an attempt to negotiate the coral, cutting my legs in many places. We then decided that we would take our swimming, snorkling gear, flippers and towels to the area of beach outside of the Beach Villas, over a mile away, outside of the ones that I had requested upon booking the holiday, after we had had breakfast. We arrived too late for this sitting and had to purchase breakfasts for us all in Franko's.
Feeling like "Day Trippers" we laid our towels on the sand and the children played in the shallow waters. At this point I felt extremly sad knowing that I had spent almost £20,000 for a holiday that was not as I expected or anything like the descriptions that I had read with regard to the Island.
It took three days before we realised that we could use the Taxi to transport us around the Island, much to my wifes relief.
We complained to the Kuoni Rep with regard to inaccessibility to the sea for the children to enjoy themselves etc etc.
After 5 days we were relocated to the Beach Villas 103 and 109 where the sea and sand were as expected, soft and white. Unfortuatly this area of the sea is used by the Watersports enthuiasts and therefore the children or ourselves could not safely swim or snorkle as a number of Kite Boarders were flying back and forth at great speed. Heavens knows what damage one of these boards could do to a swimmer. Due to this we used the sea further along the beach. Now the holiday was starting to take shape.
Various little things like, our package gave us 1 free round of golf per week, except we had to buy the balls to play with. Our names were mixed up on the room allocation therefore the bills were not correct when final settlement came for extras like Night Fishing, Dolphin Safari, Underwater Camera Hire and non local drinks. The Reception Staff were not able to change the names of the occupiers of the rooms on the computer.
Unfortuatly this holiday was not as expected, my dream of a relaxed, carefree two weeks was not to be.
As a footnote I must add that the meal we had to celebrate my Birthday in Franko's Restaurant was fantastic and the staff wonderful. The Roomboy decorated my bed with flowers and coconut leaves with great precision for which I tipped him well.
I am in the process of complaining to my Travel Agent as the 'O'Vills area was not as I expected, spoiling the first 5 days of our holiday thinking that the soft white sand would be distributed completely around the Island and the sea safe for swimming.

Stayed January 2008
26 Thank chris-60th
Beaconsfield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2008

We have been to a number of island resorts in the Maldives before but this time we were meeting a family of friends who had already booked Kuredu. On arrival at Male first thing in the morning, our cases were kept at the airport to ensure that more passengers were crammed in the seaplane and our luggage would travel by sea later in the day (evening as it turned out).
At the island, we were met by the sales reps - sorry, reception staff. Basically we were given our plastic tags, told where we could eat and what drinks we could have on all-inclusive. The AI there seems not to include anything you woulds like, i.e. cocktails, ice-creams etc. Having contacted the island in advance requesting rooms near our friends I was disappointed that we were placed at opposite ends. The room they put us in first wasn't on the beach, it was the 2nd layer behind a stretch of rocks. The room was awful. Poor state of repair, outside bathroom with a drip instead of a shower & a toilet in the rain. All walls were covered with mould and the towels were thinner than my tea-towels back home.
Thankfully we were moved next day to a room nearer our friends with a semi-working shower! (the decor & facilities appeared to be the same all over though)
All food was in the one canteen. If you get there 20 minutes after it opens the best has already gone & the remainder is congealing. You are not allowed to have a bottle of water at the table nor a pot of tea. I was offered powdered tea.......! There is a lovely tea bar at the end of the pier that no-one appeared to visit apart from us. (probably because its not avail to AI)
I could moan & winge for hours, most of our party were sick at some point (the food I didn't eat probably) but I opted to pay for premium brands & count the hours till we moved on.
The beach is fantastic, as is the golf club & tea bar. Everthing else, including the rude staff, was very poor (the sunbeds, snorkling, facilities, decor, linen, food, entertainment, etc)
Thank god our 2nd week was spent elsewhere (Cocoa Palm Dhunikolhu)

• Liked — Nothing! (the beach)
  • Disliked — service, food, accommodation, entertainment
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
9 Thank redscrees
bristol
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2008

We just spent our honeymoon at kuredu and stayed at the new O Resort. The Villa was spectacular, very modern, gigantic bed cleverly designed to have a desk/dressing table behind the headboard. The bed is central in the room so on opening your blinds you have a fantastic view. The bathroom was half inside/half outside, fitted to the highest standard and also very large.

We had room 311 an O villa, lovely sandy beach with two palm trees and the sea. If i had to nit pick it would be that there was coral in the sea, but just round the corner is a lagoon which is calm and warm. Also the the O resort had a lovely pool on a large decked area with a bar and restaurant attached. The interior of the bar was modern, the bar had a slate water wall and the restaurant had folding doors so sea views were great. On the decking there were swanky large cup chairs with sunshades for romantic moments, in the bar there were day beds for chilling on. The staff were excellent here and were chatty and friendly.

Do check out the house reef, get some pics, the sandbank for its beauty, walk the island for fantastic photos and dont miss 7pm sunsets!

Kuredu is ideal for honeymooners, the o resort is child-free and ideal for intimacy. If going to the maldives i would choose Kuredu, this was my second visit to the island and again it was fantastic.

• Liked — That it was so plush and new
  • Disliked — nothing
9 Thank ovilla311
Chickerell, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2008

Date: 02 - 15 November 2007
What a beautiful place. The Maldives are truly a wonder of the world. Clear blue sea, colourful sea life, fantastic food and hot weather.
My husband and I always dreamed of going to the Maldives. We had high expectations and we were not disappointed.
The flight via Dubai was long, but so worth it. Male airport was quick and the sea plane transfer to Kuredu Island was fab. The airport was well organised and it was not long before we arrived on the island.
We were greeted with people singing and playing drums and a lovely fruit cocktail.
Our luggage came on the plane with us and was taken straight to our accommodation.
We had a sea bungalow. What can I say. WOW. What a view! Swimming/snorkelling with amazing fish, including a couple of black tip reef sharks that liked to patrol around our bungalow.
We saw so many different kinds of fish, Eels, Squid, Puffa fish, grey reef shark, trigger fish of several types to mention a few.
The food was great, fresh and tasty. No junk food either which was nice to see. The room was clean and tidy as we had a visit every day from our room boy.
The restaurants were all lovely and clean and the waiters could not help enough. Even the taxi driver (that’s right, there is a taxi on the island. Go figure)
You could not fault the attention directed at you from the people working on the island. They tend to your every need and are really polite and friendly.
The pool bar is good if you want a bit more lively entertainment, however if you want to chill, then the Sangu bar (this is for the water villas) is the place to go.
We were lucky enough to have dolphins follow our boat on the sunset cruise. Another brucie bonus.
The beach was always clean and the sunsets amazing.
There was some building work going on, however it was not loud and did not interfere with the whole ambiance of the island.
You do not need to take shoes, just a pair of flip flops if you want them. Everyone walks around bare foot. Its so cool and laid back. Casual dress majority of the time. Of course if you wish to dress up you can.
What a fantastic place. I would recommend to every one to try and visit at least once in there lifetime

8 Thank ExplorerDorset
Glasgow, Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2008

Our honeymoon - I have to say it was amazing!!

Flight was with Emirates - best flight experience ever, ALL INCLUSIVE - I dont know how I will cope with any future flights that will not be with them. Excellent flight attendants, entertainment, food, refreshments :) TOP CLASS

Sea plane to the resort by barefoot pilots - a great experience though rather noisey, but don't let this put you off & have your camera at the ready.

Warm welcome to the resort on arrival.

Our room was a beach bungalow, very basic compared to other rooms but this didn't bother us as other guests were annoyed they'd upgraded due to the time actually spent in the room and the price difference is alot, we were also very close to the exclusive sangu resort which we didn't have access to, so quite far away from the main eating/entertainment place, this didn't bother us either as it was a way to walk off the calories & romantic walks along the beach - (until) - taxi service is meant to be for Sangu residents only, my husband suffered bad sunburn to his feet & the taxi driver Mo was extremely helpful, he picked us up & dropped us off each day/night - a person worth tipping.

Our restaurant waiter Ali was extremely nice, as was Nisi - usually found in the pool bar impersonating accents, golf was enjoyable, just the right size for 1st timers like myself - not big at all. Golf assistants are really nice.

DONT USE THE ROOM PHONES!! - these are very very expensive

All eating, drinking, spa treatments, events, pool tables, snorkelling etc are not paid up front, you receive a bill at the end of your stay, its worth paying at the end of each full week to monitor exactly how much you are spending as its very easy to get carried away with cocktails & treatments, events etc. (if your planing on snorkelling take your own equipment, this is expensive to hire all the time).

Staff do expect tips at every corner as they are not highly paid, it is advisable to take a few dollars cash with you for this purpose, waiters, bar attendants, golf, room attendants etc - usually tip at the end of your stay.

Although this is All Inclusive there are alot of non all inclusives and this proves costly.

Reports of rats I had noticed with other reviews before we went & this totally freaked me out - I am glad to say the closest we saw to any rats was a tiny mouse that came into the room through the open door & it left as soon as it arrived.

Check out the resort webcam before you go & arrange a time to get loved ones to log on while you are there, u feel silly waving at the camera but its nice for them.

Ants were a bit of a pain but easily removed, there are alot of gheko's which are perfectly harmless.

All in all a beautiful place with lovely people, its not full of things to do and is expensive but its expected in a holiday of a lifetime, I intend to return to this resort in the next ten years.

When u are booking your holiday, dont take the first price phone around, I saved £800 by doing this & undercutting prices.

Mr & Mrs Kay, Glasgow, Scotland

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank glasgowscotslass
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kuredu
Cheval Blanc Randheli
Atmosphere Kanifushi Maldives
Atmosphere Kanifushi Maldives
#1 of 1 in Kanifushi Island
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,000 reviews

Been to Kuredu Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!