We went to Kuredu in april 2011 and stayed there for 2 weeks together with our 17y old daughter. The experience was great, and we can confirm what you'll read from other reviews: Kuredu is a very well maintained resort, with all needed luxury and services provided.
Let's go through this a bit more in detail.
1. transfers to/from Kuredu: the transfers are made with waterplanes from TransMaldivian, everything went well. Waiting time in Male was a bit longer as expected, probably due to the fact that our international flight to Male arrived a bit earlier and that we were able to go straight through customs (on a previous trip to the Maldives waiting at Male customs + luggage pickup took about 1,5h... this time in 15 minutes, we were ready to go). TransMaldivian has a small lounge in Male, with all you need (drinks, snacks, airco and WiFi) and you'll also see the planes arriving/departing, a nice view.
2. Kuredu reception: traditional welcome with the drum players, and then the administrative paperwork and room assignment. As our daughter had a beach bungalow, and we had a "O" beach villa, the admin was done in 2 separate places (opposite sides of the island: we at "O" reception, for her at main reception). We noticed our 17y old received a very personal service as there were several helpful guys at reception, one of them right away sharing his personal mobile number in case she'd need anything. No further comment needed.
3. "O" beach villa (we had 326): are realy luxury villas with all you need. Sufficient space, enough cupboards, good large bed, WiFi, a large safe, a filled Wine refrigerator, good and silent airco, a terrace with enough shade with full ocean view + two beach sofas to use on the beach, perfect bathroom in open air, a TV (who needs a TV on the Maldives, unless for visualizing your photos and movies). Service in the "O" rooms was also faultless: everything cleaned and changed every day.
4. Beach bungalow (we had 387): looked a bit older compared to the "O" villa, yet are very good also - you're just 20m further from the beach, yet also will easily find a good spot on the beach with full privacy close to your bungalow. Also, good airco, safe, beds... so if you don't want to spend the extra's for the "O" or water villas, don't hesitate, you'll get perfect value from the beach bungalows.
5. Restaurants: first of all, all restaurants serve about the same food, it's just the building which is different depending on where you stay. The "O" restaurant is indeed nicer than the "Bonti" and "Kaoma", yet food and service are very good (and similar) in both places. We booked our trip "all-in". Our daughter was able to sit with us in the "O" when we wanted, so no problem there. Also, as we went diving a lot, we mostly took our breakfast, and regularly also our lunch at the "Bonti" because this was much closer to the diving school - so we really compared both restaurants and for food quality there really wasn't a difference. A nice thing in the restaurants was that every evening had a theme (French, Italian, BBQ, Indian...) yet choice was always overwhelming. For a special experience, at dinner try to get one of the outside tables at the "O" restaurant: you feel/see the ocean below you, have moonlight above you, and see some small reef sharks in the water nearby - a special experience.
Maybe only slightly negative point was the service at the "O" bar. We had the feeling waiters here were often slower than those at the restaurant, and also less knowledgeable. Again nothing that will have a negative impact on your stay there, just that with the high standards, you compare, and these guys got the red lantern as they say in cycling terms.
6. Diving: our daughter did the PADI Open Water at the ProDivers diving school with Markko - she found it a great experience, so thanks to Markko! My wife and me both did more than 20 dives in the 2 weeks we were there. Because Kuredu is such a big island, there are many divers, and ProDivers is able to propose each day at least 10 different diving excursions. The housereef allows you to go diving whenever you want... yet we've seen better house reefs in the Maldives, so, it's certainly an advantage to have the housereef, yet don't expect too much from it. But Kuredu does have some special diving places nearby: a must do are the Kuredu caves with an amazing population of big turtles - it really looks like a landing/take off strip for turtles; the Kuredu express is also a must do for drift dives and you'll often have the opportunity to see sharks there; we also liked the Shipyard where two Tuna Fishing shipwrecks are visible, beautiful corals on them; several of the Giri had beautiful corals and anemones. So diving at Kuredu is a must do, and we can recommend the ProDivers.
7. We also (of course) all had a treat at the Dunye Spas: great experience, professional people working there.
8. Overall: Kuredu is a big island with many people staying there, yet it never feels overcrowded, there's enough space everywhere, and you can capitalize on the fact that they can offer many services because there are so many people.
Please make sure to take insect spray with you. While the island gets fumigated, in the evening there will be mosquitos. If you want to avoid bites... don't rely on your Chanel n°5, but rather use the insect repellant.
Some trivia: since this is a large island, there are a few motor vehicles driving on the island... and just imagine with those few vehicles on 1 island they also manage to drive into eachother...hilaric.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kuredu Island Resort & Spa, surrounded by a beautiful lagoon and long stretches of white, sandy beach, is the only Resort on the island of Kuredu, in Lhaviyani Atoll. It is 1800 meters long by 325 meters wide, about 57 Hectares (143 acres). Your seaplane transfer from Velana International Airport is a scenic, 40 minute flight. The 383 Rooms include 10 Sultan Pool Villas including 1 Villa Family Suite, 50 Sangu Water Villas including 1 Honeymoon Suite, 100 Jacuzzi Beach Villas, 93 Beach Villas, 90 Beach Bungalows & 40 Garden Bungalows. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Kuredu Island Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kuredu Island Hotel Kuredu
- Kuredu Island Resort And Spa
- Hotel Kuredu Island
- Kuredu Island Maldives
- Kuredu Maldives
- Kuredu Island Resort Maldives
- Kuredu Island Resort & Spa Maldives