“Wonderful hotel, terrific food, friendly staff”
Review of Orcas Hotel

Orcas Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Orcas
Reviewed June 30, 2010

I booked three rooms here for myself and five friends. I chose the hotel mainly because the location fit well with our biking itinerary. The price was very reasonable so I wondered if the quality would be sub-par or if there would be a lot of noise from the ferry dock, but I was wrong. The hotel is wonderfully charming and very quiet and the views from most windows are stunning. It is beautifully landscaped and has a very homey feel about it. We had a room with a shared bath which I liked because it reminded me of the quaint inns I've stayed at in Europe. But the other two rooms had private baths. The hotel is well maintained and each of our rooms and beds were very comfortable.

We ate in the restaurant for dinner and in the cafe for breakfast and the food was outstanding. We all agreed that our dinners were as good as the food in many of the best restaurants we've visited in Seattle and we asked the waitress to give our highest complements to the chef. We were also lucky to stay on a night when there was live music in the restaurant. Unfortunately, the main dining area was packed so they offered us private dining in another room but where we could still hear the band. Several times during dinner we paused mid-conversation to listen because the singers and musicians were so unbelievably good, it was hard to believe they were playing in such a small venue.

The owner of the hotel is very friendly and took time to visit with us and check in on us a few times to ensure we had everything we needed. He said that he and his wife have been running the hotel for over 10? years, and live there with their two daughters.

We love the San Juan islands and have stayed in several hotels and B&Bs over the past 20 years, but this was by far my best experience. My friends all loved it and thanked me many times for choosing it.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank vblund

Reviewed June 25, 2010

I have never had a better experance. The hotel has a lot of history and the staff is very friendly and real. You won't find any fake smiles here. The staff was very helpful with knowlage of the island and the hotel. The food was amazing. From the pear salad to the grilled ham and cheese I was very impressed. I love the note books in each room. You writw about your stay and the next guest reads what you wrote and then they also get to write in it. I was very happy with the tub. It's the perfect end to a long day of site seeing.THe view was amazing. I could see the boats and the other islands from my bed. As I drifted to sleep I could watch the sun set. I have never had a better vacation and will be returning. I must say that the pictures on the web site don't do the hotel justice. It's beautiful in person and I was very pleased

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 18, 2010

We were pleasantly surprised to be upgraded to a room with a view of the harbor. Fun watching the ferries go in and out - and no honking of horns - very quiet. The room was spacious and very comfortable. The restaurant at the hotel is excellent - very tasty at a good price. In all, a lovely stay.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 3, 2010

We arrived on a Wednesday, entering though the cafe door. Just to the right of the door, outside on the verandah, there was a pile of leaves/refuse that had been swept up and left under a metal table. That pile was still there when we left on Friday. Perhaps none of the seemingly willing staff had been specifically designated to clean the verandah? There was plastic sheeting and bits of old wood behind the hotel but visible from some windows.
The top edge of the tiles in our bathroom had deposits of dust, some of them black. Pretty stained-glass window was quite marked. One of the controls on the jacuzzi had broken off and has not been replaced. Small glass table beside bed was badly in need of cleaning, as was crocheted place-mat atop it. Dressing-table stained.
Our $176 per night rate included breakfast. We were entitled to a hot drink, cold drink, and cooked breadfast listed for $10 on the menu board, or/or the drinks and one baked item such as a croissant or danish that cost around $3. That made absolutely no sense to us. The cafe itself had carpeting that had seen better days, it was dusty in places and not particularly attractive.
We were provided with one $20 coupon for our 2-night stay for use in either the cafe or restaurant. We used it our second evening and the cooking and food in the restaurant were outstanding. The management would do well to entice guests to eat each night at the hotel by the use of coupons, they are an excellent way to encourage people to sample their dining-room cuisine which was the best experience we had at the hotel.
To our way of thinking the hotel looks tired. It seems to be in need of an eagle-eyed manager/ess whose primary task would be to conduct daily inspections of all areas open to and/or visible to guests.
Overall, the hotel did not live up to our expectations.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 22, 2010

After a night of camping my husband and I were looking forward to a great nights sleep. I was reading the guest book in our room before going to bed and people said it was haunted. Needles to say I was worried for nothing. Did not see any ghost during our visit. Also, If you like it dark when you sleep don't book room 8. It has a lot of windows. The Staff were all very nice. the grill was being cleaned so we did not get the normal breakfast but it was still good. much ore than I expected.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 29, 2010

What a gorgeous and lovingly maintained old hotel! We stayed in the Starboard Harbor View Room which has windows overlooking the harbor and garden. It was small but immaculate, cozy and the views were stunning even when we were snuggled up inside to get out of the rain. The room also had the most comfortable bed I've ever slept on in a hotel.

The building has a 2nd floor balcony and a large porch where you can sit outside on nice days and enjoy the view but if it's too cold for that (as it was during our stay) the big windows in the cafe offer a cozy spot to sip coffee and take in the sights.

Accomodations on Orcas Island are expensive. There's no getting around that but with off-season rates, a "3 nights for the price of 2" special plus the included (generous) breakfasts this was a great deal for the money.

I only have two complaints: 1)The hot and cold faucets on the shower were crazy! They seemed almost arbitrary but once you figured them out the water pressure was fine and 2) I enjoyed the cafe's breakfasts but I had a chicken sandwich for lunch there that was awful.

Other than that we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and I'd definitely choose the Orcas Hotel the next time I'm on Orcas Island.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed December 26, 2009

The heatting system made a pile-driver sound all night. Impossible to get any sleep. We left early. Very clean hotel. Very freindly hotel.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
5  Thank n0ne12345678
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orcas
Outlook Inn on Orcas Island
#1 of 2 in Lopez Island
Discovery Inn
Discovery Inn
#2 of 11 in Friday Harbor

Been to Orcas Hotel? Share your experiences!