All reviewsbelly porkreal firewild mushroomslovely pubpub foodtagliatelleoutstanding foodrooms are basicselection of beersfish and chipswarm welcomehaggislog firebooked a tablemashfillet steakan evening meal
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We visited this lovely village inn twice on a recent trip to Scotland, the first time for a quiet drink and the second for dinner. We were made to feel very welcome both from the staff and the pub regulars. The food was very good, the service excellent and the place has a lovely friendly atmosphere, very cosy on a cold autumn night. We will look forward to visiting again!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We stayed here 2 nights whilst walking the SUW Walk and it was an ideal pub ofr walkers and country sports people alike. The owners could not do enough for us from drying gear to washing laundry( at a small extra charge) . The rooms are basic but big enough to spread out in and very comfortable and the bath and shower were excellent.
However it was the food and the real ale that were the stars with quality produce and well kept beer.
The locals were very friendly and welcoming and all round we left the Clachan well refreshed and ready for more walking.
Would highly recommend it for anyone walking in the area and especially the SUW.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Have been to The Clachan Inn for lunch twice now,and it has been delicious both times.I wonder what people expect when they complain they 'have to wait',tasty fresh food does take a bit to prepare,but worth it rather than being served microwaved rubbish.The young couple who run the place are very friendly and take a few minutes to chat and give first class service.Really different menu aswell.from steak pie to rabbit lasagne...
This will certainly be one of our regular haunts for the future,,love it.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I live 3 miles away from The Clachan and so when my son,his wife and three children came up to South West Scotland for a weeks holiday we booked an evening meal. The time we had to wait for our meal was totally uneceptible, the roast potatoes and roasted veg were so hard and overcooked. Then for our sins we waited yet again an uneceptible time for our dessert.

This bill came to just below £90 and so when i went up to the bar to pay i said to the girl behind the bar that i must complain. Another member of staff was brought to deal with me.

I told this woman my thoughts on the food, her answer was" why didnt i say something at the time". short of waiting another half an hour for new roast potatoes and veg and dont know what she could have done, bearing in mind we had waited nearly an hour for our food.

When i mentioned i was a local to the area, her reply was" So am I"

She then went to ask the owner if they could take something off the bill at my request and did take the cost of 3 desserts off.

I then asked this woman if she new my brother who comes in every Saturday night and her reply was, Yes i Know ********* HE NEVER COMPLAINS.
I could not believe this.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank ScotlandEleanor
Joanna S, Owner at The Clachan Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

As the proprietor of The Clachan Inn, I feel it is my duty to acknowledge your comments and address them if I possibly can.

Firstly, I am very sorry you had such a disappointing dining experience at The Clachan. We always endeavour to ensure each and every customer has an enjoyable time with us, so it was especially regretful to read your feedback. It was an extremely busy Sunday night when you dined with us, and I agree that the length of time you had to wait for your meal was unacceptable. The only explanation I can offer you is that we have a very small kitchen and cook every meal fresh and from scratch. When we have such a large number of orders hitting the kitchen at the same time, delays sometime occur. It is something we are constantly trying to improve on.

With regard to your comments about my member of waiting staff, I have spoken to her about her conduct and she wishes to apologise for her manner. I can assure you, she is normally extremely very professional and well received by all customers. Your complaints at the time were a little strange and I think she was quite taken aback. Your major complaint was that we were not serving the region's famous ice cream on the menu, but were instead trying to trick our customers with an inferior product. No matter how many times you were assured that the ice cream you had received was exactly the one advertised, you would not believe us. You also complained that your beef was tough, and my member of staff mentioned that you actually ordered and ate the lamb, not the beef.

It is our policy to check back on every table during their meal so that any issues can be dealt with. You were checked back on and said that everything was fine with your meal which was why my member of staff mentioned this when you were complaining during your payment. We simply cannot rectify a mistake with an order if we aren't informed of the problem in the first place.

Once again, I would like to apologise that you were disatisfied with your meal at The Clachan. It is not acceptable for vegetables to be undercooked in a restaurant which has standards as high as we set ourselves, I hope you will come back at some point with your family and we can demonstrate how good this small inn can be.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

this is an excellent pub.
it has really good food, at affordable prices
the pleasant rooms are not expensive
it is a great find, especially for real ale in comfortable surroundings
We loved the real fires!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends