“Happy Traveler”

and 1 more site!
Rhiconich Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rhiconich
Reviewed June 6, 2014

I was booked to DJ at a party in KLB (Kinlochbervie) and the Rhiconich was the hotel they booked me into. I must admit, when I first arrived I was a bit "meh!" But I always like to give things a try.

No one to greet me, but it was end of March, not high season so I waited. After a few moments I was greeted and shown to my room. The room was excellent, better than the exterior would have me believe. Warm with ensuite and double glazing. All the usual comforts, remote colour tv, kettle, etc. No complaints there. Since I was DJ-ing I was going to be late back, but the host was attending the party so we agree'd I could have a late breakfast & a late checkout.

Excellent!

I gave the host a lift back and if I am honest, I expected a very late breakfast, lol. But he was up with the birds and I had the most excellent full Scottish with a pot of tea to wash it down. It looked so good I took a photo of it :-)

After breakfast, I was given a tour of the hotel and could see it was a work in progress. They had done the double glazing the week before I arrived (Mid March) and were upgrading the rooms with new facilities, paper & paint. I had to admit I was not in the slightest bit disturbed by the renovations. I expect they will be done by now.

I ave read reviews of this hotel and find some of them a bit petty! This is the West Highlands, the pace is a bit slower. Some of you need to calm down and chill out before you arrive. If no one is there, hang around a few minutes, take photo's of the view. It's stunning. I actually used some of my dash cam video to show friends the scenery and they loved it.

If something isn't to your liking, just be nice. Point it out and be gracious as we all appreciate good manners. I am the fussiest person I know, but I was delighted with my welcome and my stay.

Would I visit here again? Absolutely and I would bring my family too.

Room Tip: I stayed at the front, facing the road, but the double glazing kept most of the noise out. It's...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank Andi S

Reviewed June 1, 2014

We were staying close by but had intended to stay at Rhiconich so visited for a drink & meal. Unfortunately the barman was a bit of an idiot and made it quite clear we weren't welcome, so we did not hang about. In hidsight, the Kinlochbervie hotel was a much nicer location anyway and we were happy to give them our custom. Given the Rhiconich's attitude to customers / guests, I would not be surprised if the place is closed within the year. Perhaps somebody with a better attitude will give it a better chance.

Room Tip: don't stay here unless under new management (from that in place at May 2014)
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 26, 2014

I ate at this hotel recently and found the staff and manager friendly and helpful. I was disappointed however by the poor quality food. The menu had a wide selection and I treated myself to the baked camembert starter, followed by salmon main course. I was unable to eat the camembert due to it smelling and tasting of ammonia. I did send it back and was told that it was just fresh in. The main course was also disappointing, with a tiny piece of salmon that did not seem fresh, overcooked vegetables and a huge amount of chips. I left most of it, which is very unusual for me as I generally finish everything on my plate. I still feel nauseated at the thought of the camembert. I don't think I will be eating there again.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 17, 2014

Stayed one night and found the reception staff disinterested and unfriendly though the youngsters serving the evening meal and behind the bar were cheery and friendly
In the morning our conversation after a nice breakfast was rudely interrupted by a bad tempered member of the hotel staff who refused to serve another glass of orange because it had been put away and he had other things to do
The accommodation was reasonably comfortable but the bathroom floor was sticky and dirty
Don't think we shall go back though the view was amazing !!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 17Pauline
Reviewed March 16, 2014

stayed at the hotel for a wonderful week . staff all very friendly and helpful. best scenery around and my room was fantastic . the food was excellent . well recommended at any time of year .loved the fact I could take my dog with me .

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank lynnette t
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Spent a rather miserable night at this hotel despite the stunning scenery that surrounds it. Room was ok but being the solitary dinner in the rather bleak dining room was not fun. There was a peat fire in the sitting room which was rather more cheering but the owners did not offer me the opportunity to use the tables in adjoining dining area. There was also a rather off putting smell of frying oil in the hall and stairs, which seemed strange when there is so much fresh air surrounding the hotel. I found alternative accommodation for the next night !

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank marion_s661
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Stopped off at the Rhiconich for an overnight stay whilst on a tour of the Highlands. A warm and efficient welcome from reception, we were shown to our single rooms on the ground floor, next to the reception. They were small, but perfectly formed and more then adequate for our needs. The en suite shower rooms looked brand new and nicely finished, with toiletries, gorgeous smelling fresh towels and lashings of hot water from the power shower. OK, so dinner was disappointing, but the view from the front of the hotel more than makes up for it and so did the delicious cooked breakfast the next morning!
So, the hotel needs a bit of updating, but it's lovely and clean and very comfortable, has the best pillows I've ever slept on and is welcoming. And I reckon these are the qualities better suited to the weary travellers needs than a feature wall of grotesque wallpaper and a naff chandelier.....

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Lully06
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rhiconich
21 mi away
The Drumbeg Hotel
#1 of 1 in Drumbeg
Overscaig House Hotel
Oak Lodge Bed & Breakfast

Been to Rhiconich Hotel? Share your experiences!