“Beautiful seafood”

The New Inn 1 Bridge Street Coldingham Berwickshire
Ranked #2 of 5 Restaurants in Coldingham
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Scottish
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: (018907) 71315
Barnoldswick, United Kingdom
“Beautiful seafood”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Been twice with quite a gap inbetween but both times very nice nice atmosphere
great service and most of all nice food and locally sourced the seafood was lovely
and when we stay near by we look forward to returning.

• Visited September 2012

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Great village pub, excellent food”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Tried the New Inn at the weekend. Food was excellent and value for money. Great service from friendly staff. Friendly locals and loved the coal fire.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank ArchieMcG
Heaven
“Good Fresh Local Food - Under New Management since March 2013”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The New Inn has re-opened in March 2013 under the new lease holders and we were pleased to see our most local pub open again after it was closed in December 2012. From my point of view the new owners has done well in the short space of time. Small things like adding new mirror above the fireplace - which brings quite a bit of light to otherwise quite dark bar area - fresh flowers and candles on the tables or quality hand-wash in the bathroom are only small touches but definitely a good improvement as a start.

Since the reopening I have eaten there 3 times therefore I feel I am in a position to review it from all points of view. We always dined as a party of 6 with some friends. We always booked in advance and only once had a small problem with timing, but other than that we got our table in a good time and it was properly set and clean, with fresh flowers and candle.

Choice of beer and other drinks is good, maybe a bit wider choice of wines would be good idea, so hopefully the wine list will be extended in the near future.

I found the choice and quality of the food very good. Everything was freshly prepared and tasty. Unlike previous reviewer I had a beautiful mussels as my starter and very good sirloin steak (medium) which I tried on 2 ocassions accompanied by tasty sauce. Also knowing the beef came from local butcher in Eyemouth and the mussels from local Fishmonger is really a great bonus as I like to eat local food and support local businesses. I really hope the owners will be able to keep using fresh local products for a long time to come. Prices are OK and I found the service mostly professional and friendly. If you have any problems or special wishes just ask. The Staff can't mind-read, so really just say it and let them deal with it.

Some might argue that pub's interior still needs a bit more TLC and I agree with that. Especially the gents' toilet (only from what I heard from the guys!) really need some updating and the upstairs dining room needs some heating and adding some atmosphere - there is a CD player, so play there some music, it does not have to feel like dinner at nasty Grandmother where everyone had to be quiet. Please, do take this to heart and do something about it, as it is really not a great place to be having ( especially as a couple) dinner, as it lacks of any charm, feels clinical, cold and you feel like eating in someone's house. This was a problem under previous owners as well, so there is an opportunity for the new owners to change it around and make it the dinning room everyone wants to eat in and not like now, most of the people want to avoid. I truly hope that if the owners do well, they will reinvest some money into The New Inn, as with current cuisine it can really be one of the best pub in a radius of at least 10 miles.

Will I eat there again? Most probably yes, and I will be be expecting some changes and improvements.They should be by now also accepting card payment this was not the case at the end of March, but they were working on it. Overall, very solid 3 stars for now, maybe 3.5. However, as there are some things to work on and improve, I will watch this place closely and re-review it in autumn.

I would definitely recommend The New Inn in Coldingham,to anyone who lives in the area or just visiting and looking for a good pub with good quality food. Just please remember this a good village pub, not 5* gourmet restaurant. Give a New Inn a try, let others know what you think, I hope you will not be disappointed.

• Visited March 2013
“Excellent meal, great value for money and good service”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Enjoyed, local mussels, sizzling pork in mustard and white wine sauce and sticky toffee pudding! Everything was very tasty and served by friendly staff. Been sampling their food for a few years and was not disappointed tonight! Four adults and one child enjoyed a good meal with wine for £70, excellent value

• Visited April 2013
Eyemouth
“Good Food”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Tried the New Inn at the weekend, the staff are very attentive, friendly, took our order quickly and showed us to our table, Unfortunately the room was very cold, in fact had to put my coat on during the meal, a small fan heater was on but did not make too much of a difference to the temperature. the food we got was very tasty and the chunky chips were quite yummy. The choice of sweets was a little disappointing, only two of us chose a sweet, but what we had was tasty.

• Visited March 2013