“Not a good choice”

Bayside at Sandestin
Grand Rapids, MI
“Not a good choice”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2008

My wife and I spent two nights at the Bayside Inn (March 30,31, 2008) in Sandestin. We were in Tallahassee for a wedding and had heard good things about the Sandestin area so we thought we would check it out for a couple of days.

We originally were going to stay at the Sandestin Courtyard Marriott but since this hotel – right on the bay and inside the Sandestin grounds – was the same price, we canceled our Marriott reservation and decided to stay here. Bad choice! I wish I had read the comments here before changing because most of the negative reviews here echo our feelings.

The Bayside Inn is an eight floor hotel. During our stay there were maybe only eight rooms that were occupied. There was NO STAFF – I mean NOBODY there at all during the daytime or evening hours and it was downright scary staying there! If you are not going to staff the hotel, then why not at least institute controlled access? There was no one at the lobby front desk, no one in the halls, no one anywhere – just an old TV in the area overlooking the bay blaring with no one watching! It truly reminded me of a setting for a bad slasher flic! While Sandestin itself is somewhat "access" controlled, staying here sure did not give us a secure feeling. Maybe it wasn't the 'season' for this place but still...it was creepy.

The Sandestin Resort website indicates that the Bayside Inn received a multi-million dollar renovation in 2006 – well you couldn’t prove that by me. Nothing here looked renovated it was right out of the 80's. And two double beds???? I haven’t seen doubles in years – why not queens or a king? The room furnishings were very dated, the bathrooms were small and spartan and the room wasn’t the cleanest place I ever have stayed. There were a couple of places where there was no baseboard and the wallpaper was peeling. However, there was a microwave and a dorm style refrigerator that would be plus for a family.

I would also have to disagree with others’ comments regarding the maid service. Ours was done promptly in the morning - of course there was NO ONE ELSE THERE to slow them down.

Overall, the Bayside Inn was in our opinion overpriced, somewhat dingy and poorly secured. It was not a pleasant lodging experience for us. We won’t be back.

• Liked — Location on the bay
  • Disliked — Spooky feeling of emptiness
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2007

My wife and I actually had our honeymoon at the Bayside Inn so we returned for the third time here. I was thinking we would have a bayside view of Choctawatchee Bay but, instead, this time we got the golf course panarama. Below us we got to witness all the goings on at The Links at Sandestin, and in evening hours, the lit-up high rise hotels on the beach. It was all good.

We have never not enjoyed Sandestin. There is just so much to do at this resort, something for everyone really. In our previous visit 3 years ago we loved our condo in the Pilot House near Baytown Wharf - one of the nicest hotel rooms we ever had - but the Bayside Inn was fine. We won't nitpick the place to death like some reviewers. Yes, it is not the best of Sandestin's accommodations perhaps, but it is still way above average.

We were interrupted on our last morning there by a loud fire alarm, then had to sit out of our room for almost 2 hours, but even that was not that bad. We made the best of the situation and headed over to the fabulous Another Broken Egg cafe next to the pool to wait it out.

We had a wonderful meal at Finz on the beach, the highlight of our trip. The Sandestin beachfront was fantastic, lots of people out enjoying the beautiful weather and azure surf. Go to Sandestin, you won't be disappointed.

• Liked — The view of the golf course
  • Disliked — Not as close to the beach as I would've liked
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank luckylad27
Gulfport, Mississippi
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2007

The Bayside Inn is a no-frills, no-service, bare-bones budget hotel...nothing luxury here except the price tag!

We just returned yesterday from a 4-night stay here. Our room had 2 double beds, a desk with chair, and small armoire with TV. It was comparable to an older Holiday Inn hotel, only without the continental breakfast. There was a small kitchenette area with a dorm-style fridge, sink and microwave. The room is a rather small and a bit dark. They offer wifi for $3/hour, which we didn't use.

The service at this hotel is the worst I've seen at anything above the old-fashioned "motor court" hotels.

CONS:
*UNMADE BEDS & NO TOWELS:
Maid service is slow and poor. Each day of our stay, our beds were not made up until evening! One night it was close to 7 pm!! We usually left after breakfast and returned around 3 or 4 in the afternoon....and always returned to an unserviced room. This made swimming with children very complicated, since we had no towels to use except the wet ones we had showered with earlier that morning. Even though we had registered as a party of four, each day our room was only given towels enough for two and we had to repeatedly request more.

*APATHETIC FRONT DESK:
When we checked in one of the 4 lamps in our room had no light bulb. This is the only lighting in the room, which is a bit dark anyway. We asked that they send up a lightbulb around 4 pm and when someone finally came up at 11:30 pm with towels they told us that lightbulbs "wasn't his department" that we needed to talk to engineering! Finally, 2 days into our stay we bumped into a man with "engineering" on his nametag and begged him for a lightbulb. He showed up 30 min later with one (the only conscientious person we met in our entire stay).

*FEW HOTEL AMENITIES:
No Computer area, No breakfast, Very few Toiletry items, Small bare lobby.
All the nice little perks I've gotten used to in modern hotels are noticeable missing here. They leave you 1 small shampoo and a bar of soap and that's it. No shower cap, conditioner, sewing kit or anything most upscale properties offer. There's no computer area for business travelers; No newspapers, no coffee and no food anywhere in the tiny little lobby. We wanted to invite some friends back to our hotel to wait as we prepared to go out to dinner, but couldn't: Beds in our room were still unmade; Lobby really has no seating area for guests to wait in. The whole set up is just not very hospitable to the traveler.

PRO:
THE RESORT:
What IS good about this hotel is that it gets you entry into the larger resort property of Sandestin itself, and that is very nice.

The Sandestin grounds are well kept and they have a shuttle to take you to their beach area, which also has a pool nearby. This is all very nice (but avoid the shuttle at peak dinner hours, we had a 45-minute wait when usually it took no more than 10 minutes for a shuttle to come at other times). You are allowed to use complimentary bikes for 4 hours and my children really enjoyed this as we explored the resort.

All in all, we will return to the Sandestin Resort; but we plan on finding a better hotel than the Bayside Inn.

• Liked — The Resort that the hotel was in
  • Disliked — Very poor service from hotel maids & staff
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank budgetingmom

Travelers are raving about these Miramar Beach hotels

mississippi
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2007

We just returned from 3 nights at this hotel, The resort is great but this is just their budget hotel. The room smelled of smoke and beds not made until after 6 pm one day. Tram is available with an easy phone call to beach or village. No need for car, bike rentals free and nice paths to ride. It all depends on the price you pay I would not pay 200.00 a night for this hotel. The resort is nice overall if you do not plan on spending much time in the room.

• Liked — resort surroundings and tram service
  • Disliked — room smell
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank MississippiPrincess
Mobile,al
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2007

My friends and I just spent a girls' weekend at the Bayside Inn. We were not overly impressed with this hotel upon driving up to it but were truly shocked after entering our room. The bathroom was filthy! There was hair all over the bathroom floor and in the shower. The roll of toilet paper had not been changed and was almost gone. We notified the front desk and they assured us that it would be cleaned immediately yet it was 24 hours before the cleaning staff entered our room. Two calls to management and a free breakfast later we got some clean towels but that is all. The beds were uncomfortable., there were no blankets on the beds and the "newly renovated" lobby left much to be desired. I cannot say enough good things about the resort itself. The grounds are beautiful and the village is amazing but I am shocked that such an upscale resort would have a hotel like this on their property! The rate was cheaper than all the other resort properties and after seeing the bathroom I know why!

• Liked — check out
  • Disliked — unsanitary conditions
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank kamflor
Oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2007

My friends and I stayed at the Bayside Inn in Sandestin during the week of June 25-29th for a conference. We were given a condo facing the bay on the 2nd floor. What a wonderful view!

We arrived late ( 2 a.m. ) because of airport delays. There was no one available at our hotel to check us in and we were sent to another hotel on the resort. Luckily, the Sandestin Beach and Golf Resort has trams that run until 3 a.m. We met a wonderful driver named Stanley, "Mr. Quick", who took us where we needed to go and even waited for us outside with our luggage until we received room keys.

The condo was spacious with two walkouts to the balcony to view the bay. There was a king size bed with a sofa that converted to a sleeper. The service was outstanding. Whenever we needed anything, we simply called the hotel operator and we received our items within minutes.

The resort has a village area that has wonderful restaurants and bars and grills. You must try Rum Runners and Fat Tuesdays. The atmosphere and service are the best around. After a fun night out, the trams return you safely to your hotel without the need of a cab.

The beach was a blast. Be sure to take towels, beach chairs, etc. with you because it can end up costing you a lot of money. Again the tram will take you from your hotel to the beach and back for free.

Overall, this hotel met our expectations. We would definitely stay here again if we are returning to Sandestin.

• Liked — Location, Atmosphere, and Views
  • Disliked — Check in at a different hotel late at night.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank KarenOK
Johns Creek, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2007

I went with my fiancee this past weekend to Destin for a weekend getaway and relaxation before the wedding. I booked the room through priceline. Before I named my own price on priceline, priceline has a direct reservation option. This option listed the Holiday Inn and Sandestin Hilton as the top hotels, so I figured if I named my own price, I would get either of these two hotels. Well, I named my own price and got a decent deal, but I was booked at the Sandestin Resort and Golf Club. Priceline did not mention which property I would be staying at. Looking at the website and doing some research, I concluded that this would be a better place to stay compared to the Holiday Inn and Hilton.

When we checked in, we were told that priceline assigned us to the Bayside Inn. Driving up to the Bayside Inn, the hotel looked decent from the outside. When we got to the room, the furniture was outdated and all the fixtures were old. The hotel supposedly was renovated in 2006, but I can tell you that our room must have been left out of the renovation process. The shower head was obviously old and you could see all the build-up around the shower, plus there was no water pressure what-so-ever. The cleaning service was really slow. On Friday, we had left our room at 9:00 am and did not return until 4:00 pm and the beds had not been done or the towels had not been replenished. I did notice that there was only one cleaning person servicing the entire hotel, which is about 8 floors.

Overall, the resort is great. There is so much to do and included in the rental of the room. You're given 4 hours of bike rental per day, there are numerous walking trails, there's a village area on the resort with shopping and dining, you can get free kaying or canoeing for 1 hour per day, etc. The beach itself was nice.

Overall, Destin and also the Sandestin Resort are great, but if you had a choice of places to stay, I would definitely not recommend the Bayside Inn.

• Liked — The front lobby, which had obviously been renovated
  • Disliked — The rooms
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
Sleep Inn
Sleep Inn
#18 of 39 in Destin
Hampton Inn & Suites Destin-Sandestin

Been to Bayside at Sandestin? Share your experiences!