“NO GO SushiMO TO”

Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We just tried this place for the first time based upon several recommendations from people we know/meet. Let me just say this place is barely above gas station sushi. I am VERY disappointed based upon other reviews. I 'assume' they had an 'off night' because other recs were really good. I won't even go into detail about the rolls/food we got because they were all bad. Our group (4) had over $75 in food not including drinks or tip (just to give you an idea of how many different items we ordered)
We have had sushi at everyother place in town and I would honestly eat at any other sushi place before going back here. Having said that though I will go back there to give them a second try (thats just the way I am). Next time we will dine in since this time we did take out.
I want to like this place because its right by the house and others seem to like it. I am hoping that they just happen to serve me the worst suhi on accident.....stay tuned for review number two!!! By the way...just to let you know how I am with reviews, this is the worst star rating I have ever given out to any place I have reviewed....

1  Thank James W

Reviewed May 11, 2013

The title sums it up. We ordered the v-roll and starburst sushi...it was excellent. Previously, we had been at Harbor Docks and had the sushi there. We both decided that while HD had good sushi, sushimoto topped it easily. You will not be disappointed.

1  Thank Chris S
Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

I got the miso soup as an appetizer... probably the best I've ever had. Didn't just consist of chicken broth as many usually do. I had the "this is how we roll" sushi roll as my meal.. simply amazing! The restaurant is very casual and inviting... service was friendly... food is excellent! I would definitely recommend this place to others.

1  Thank Stephanie M
Reviewed April 19, 2013

This place is our favorite local sushi bar. Fish is fresh, rolls are excellent and well prepared, and the staff is polite and attentive. And if you have a gluten sensitivity, they are aware of your special requirements and even keep (San-J) gluten free soy sauce on hand.

Due to food allergies, the only thing we eat is the sushi. But our friends report that the other entrees are also excellent. All the food looks and smells wonderful. Try it, you won't be disappointed.

2  Thank AmyGlutenFree
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Sushimoto is the gold standard to which I compare all sushi and japanese food. Not only do I love the fact that it is a local business run by a family, but its food is AWESOME. I have been coming to sushimoto for years (and in fact, Emeril Lagasse has been going to Sushimoto for years too!) and the quality of their food has never diminished. Their sushi is excellent and innovative, but the real jackpot to me is the other menu items.

The vegetable yakisoba is so deliciously tasty! another favorite is the nabeyaki udon, which is packed with so much flavor. when i want something a little healthier, i have the sashimi salad which has a kick-butt dressing that jazzes everything up! my mother is obsessed with sushimoto's tempura. She has tried tempura everywhere, from new york to bangkok and she claims that sushimoto's is the best -- and I believe her.

One of the best things about sushimoto is that Andy, the owner, buys about 2 fresh whole fish a day and will steam the fish with ginger, scallions, and an oil/soy sauce mixture over kombu as a special. You can call ahead of time to reserve your fish, or roll the dice that some lucky devil hasn't gotten to it before you... It is worth the phone call!

Our latest discovery, however, is the partially hidden Japanese specials whiteboard, written in Japanese and read only by people in the "know." In the winter time, chawanmushi is on the menu. It is the most delightful, light egg custard studded with seafood, chicken, mushrooms, and gingko nuts. If you want to taste the famed fifth taste "umami" discovered by the japanese - this is the dish to try (if they have it)! the lamb lollipops are surprisingly tender and tasty as well. Finally, our current obsession is the ikamaru, which is grilled whole squid served with a spiced mayo. The squid is perfectly cooked and is totally complemented by the mayo. Eating healthy never tasted so good!

2  Thank HollidayVacations