“Great all u can eat crab legs!”
Review of Rick's Crab Trap - CLOSED

Rick's Crab Trap
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Description: This location is under brand new owners with over 50 years of experience total! We have added new products and food to the menu, just to name a few, different pasta dishes, carrying fresh fish and seafood, and also introducing our family recipe for prime rib! We have a beautiful view of the Gulf of Mexico and we also have great drinks and food that is offered not only at the restaurant but at our pool and beach bar locations!!
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I would never had thought the restaurant in my hotel would have food this good. Hostess station is full of high school girls but look past that. Bartender was knowledgeable and server was great. Give it a try!

There are newer reviews for Rick's Crab Trap

Reviewed June 10, 2013

Just finished having dinner at Rick's and ready to review:

The good stuff:
1. The staff - very friendly and very attentive to the customer
2. The view - if in the dining room, you get a good view of the gulf. Great location.
3. The fish taco's - the grilled and blackened versions are very good. And for only $4.50 at happy hour, a great deal.

The bad:
1. The food - A lot of the food is not made-to-order. Food is probably pre-made, then reheated with orders. The roasted veggies were dehydrated from the process. The rice pilaf was a clumpy mess - not fluffy as it should be. The steamed clams appeared to have been steamed earlier and than sat around under a heat lamp. Not plump and juicy as they should be. Most of the entre's have the same sides too - rice pilaf and veggies.
2. The atmosphere and decor - very dated; the banquet seats show the age of the decor and the walls and accessories need to be re-vamped.
3. The price - overpriced considering the quality.

Overall, this place lacks inspiration and dedication by the kitchen to put out a high quality meal. Example - why not change up from rice pilaf to something that is light and fresh, such as steamed white rice with fresh cilantro and lime juice, to go with the seafood?

NikkiW131, Owner at Rick's Crab Trap, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

I wanted to first thank you for dining with us and for the compliments on the staff, view and fish tacos, but I also wanted to clear a few things up because I feel there is a misunderstanding. Nothing we have here is made before hand, in fact almost all of our dishes and entrees are indeed made to order, we even shuck every oyster to order to maintain the freshness. All of our seafood and other food here is fresh, nothing frozen except for the Crab legs which is impossible to get them any other way. We also steam everything to order as well, you cannot presteam seafood because it will get cold and it will not stay heated under a heat lamp. We also have to two different kinds of clams, the smaller ones that it appears you had and we have a bigger size as well, in which I have instructed the servers to explain this. I agree with you as the chairs and decor are dated and we are working with Surfside the condo that we are in to get new chairs, they are not ours, the resort owns the chairs, tables and decor. We are currently updating all of the decor, we just had new tile floor and carpet put in this past winter and had the decor redone in the bar area and are currently working with the Condo to do the same in the dining room. We are by no means a fine dining restaurant, we are a family restaurant on the beach where we want our customers to feel comfortable. I do apologize if you feel our menu is high but we are actually on the lower end of pricing for this area and up and down the beach. We are family owned and ran and thank you for the input, we appreciate all of it. Please feel free to contact me, Thank you!
Nikki W.
(850)269-1252

Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

No as nice as it sounded - ocean view dining. I saw the Gulf while driving up and down the road looking for the place. It is across the street from the Gulf and the signs were well hidden. Hint: park at the condo in the lot right past the check-in circle and go inside the main entrance to the condo and follow signs.
The place only had about 4 other tables with 2-4 in the party but yet the hostess wanted to sit me in the bar area. I asked to sit by the windows in the dining room, where I thought I would get that "view". Not so much.
I ordered the grilled grouper which came with rice and grilled vegetables. I've had better grouper in Ohio! Maybe I was supposed to order crab legs? I'll never know because Rick won't trap this now crabby diner.

I want to first thank you for dining with us and also apologize to you for your experience. I have fixed the situation with the Greeters and how people want to see the view and to ask if customers would like to sit in the bar or in the main dining room, they were new and were just trying to fairly seat the servers. I apologize for that and for the lack of training on that instance. We do without a problem will move customers to wherever they would like to sit, all they need to do is ask the greeter. I thank you for bringing that to my attention. The Grouper is usually our best dish and we usually receive many compliments on it. We serve Red Grouper not the Black Grouper, which the Red grouper is a stronger tasting fish and not very mild. This confuses many people on thinking it would taste differently. I have as well trained the servers on this matter. If you would like to contact me and speak on this farther please do not hesitate to call me.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

crab legs were great! the location is not so good. hard to find. this was our second visit here. the atmosphere isnt that great either. but worth the trip for the all you can eat crab legs!

Reviewed May 2, 2013

We visited this restaurant shortly after we arrived in Miramar Beach. We wanted something casual and that is what we got. Since we were in Florida and right on the beach, we all wanted sea food. We started out with oysters on the half shell and fish tacos. They were both excellent. In fact, they were so good, we came back for a re-visit later in the week. Since we were early both times, we were seated in the front tables overlooking the beach across the street. This is not an open air resaurant, but the view is excellent and it is nicely air conditioned.

The early-bird specials are worth getting there before six-thirty, both for the two for one house drinks and the starters, some of which were half price. ?The tables were never full, but there was a steady flow of patrons, many of them local, I am sure. The service was excellent and the variety of entrees on the menu was enough to keep us interested for two visits. Be sure to have the oysters....they were the greatest.