“Perfect candidate for Food TV's "Restaurant Impossible"”
Review of Rick's Crab Trap - CLOSED

Rick's Crab Trap
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Description: This location is under brand new owners with over 50 years of experience total! We have added new products and food to the menu, just to name a few, different pasta dishes, carrying fresh fish and seafood, and also introducing our family recipe for prime rib! We have a beautiful view of the Gulf of Mexico and we also have great drinks and food that is offered not only at the restaurant but at our pool and beach bar locations!!
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Just finished having dinner at Rick's and ready to review:

The good stuff:
1. The staff - very friendly and very attentive to the customer
2. The view - if in the dining room, you get a good view of the gulf. Great location.
3. The fish taco's - the grilled and blackened versions are very good. And for only $4.50 at happy hour, a great deal.

The bad:
1. The food - A lot of the food is not made-to-order. Food is probably pre-made, then reheated with orders. The roasted veggies were dehydrated from the process. The rice pilaf was a clumpy mess - not fluffy as it should be. The steamed clams appeared to have been steamed earlier and than sat around under a heat lamp. Not plump and juicy as they should be. Most of the entre's have the same sides too - rice pilaf and veggies.
2. The atmosphere and decor - very dated; the banquet seats show the age of the decor and the walls and accessories need to be re-vamped.
3. The price - overpriced considering the quality.

Overall, this place lacks inspiration and dedication by the kitchen to put out a high quality meal. Example - why not change up from rice pilaf to something that is light and fresh, such as steamed white rice with fresh cilantro and lime juice, to go with the seafood?

NikkiW131, Owner at Rick's Crab Trap, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

I wanted to first thank you for dining with us and for the compliments on the staff, view and fish tacos, but I also wanted to clear a few things up because I feel there is a misunderstanding. Nothing we have here is made before hand, in fact almost all of our dishes and entrees are indeed made to order, we even shuck every oyster to order to maintain the freshness. All of our seafood and other food here is fresh, nothing frozen except for the Crab legs which is impossible to get them any other way. We also steam everything to order as well, you cannot presteam seafood because it will get cold and it will not stay heated under a heat lamp. We also have to two different kinds of clams, the smaller ones that it appears you had and we have a bigger size as well, in which I have instructed the servers to explain this. I agree with you as the chairs and decor are dated and we are working with Surfside the condo that we are in to get new chairs, they are not ours, the resort owns the chairs, tables and decor. We are currently updating all of the decor, we just had new tile floor and carpet put in this past winter and had the decor redone in the bar area and are currently working with the Condo to do the same in the dining room. We are by no means a fine dining restaurant, we are a family restaurant on the beach where we want our customers to feel comfortable. I do apologize if you feel our menu is high but we are actually on the lower end of pricing for this area and up and down the beach. We are family owned and ran and thank you for the input, we appreciate all of it. Please feel free to contact me, Thank you!
Nikki W.
(850)269-1252

Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

No as nice as it sounded - ocean view dining. I saw the Gulf while driving up and down the road looking for the place. It is across the street from the Gulf and the signs were well hidden. Hint: park at the condo in the lot right past the check-in circle and go inside the main entrance to the condo and follow signs.
The place only had about 4 other tables with 2-4 in the party but yet the hostess wanted to sit me in the bar area. I asked to sit by the windows in the dining room, where I thought I would get that "view". Not so much.
I ordered the grilled grouper which came with rice and grilled vegetables. I've had better grouper in Ohio! Maybe I was supposed to order crab legs? I'll never know because Rick won't trap this now crabby diner.

I want to first thank you for dining with us and also apologize to you for your experience. I have fixed the situation with the Greeters and how people want to see the view and to ask if customers would like to sit in the bar or in the main dining room, they were new and were just trying to fairly seat the servers. I apologize for that and for the lack of training on that instance. We do without a problem will move customers to wherever they would like to sit, all they need to do is ask the greeter. I thank you for bringing that to my attention. The Grouper is usually our best dish and we usually receive many compliments on it. We serve Red Grouper not the Black Grouper, which the Red grouper is a stronger tasting fish and not very mild. This confuses many people on thinking it would taste differently. I have as well trained the servers on this matter. If you would like to contact me and speak on this farther please do not hesitate to call me.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

crab legs were great! the location is not so good. hard to find. this was our second visit here. the atmosphere isnt that great either. but worth the trip for the all you can eat crab legs!

Reviewed May 2, 2013

We visited this restaurant shortly after we arrived in Miramar Beach. We wanted something casual and that is what we got. Since we were in Florida and right on the beach, we all wanted sea food. We started out with oysters on the half shell and fish tacos. They were both excellent. In fact, they were so good, we came back for a re-visit later in the week. Since we were early both times, we were seated in the front tables overlooking the beach across the street. This is not an open air resaurant, but the view is excellent and it is nicely air conditioned.

The early-bird specials are worth getting there before six-thirty, both for the two for one house drinks and the starters, some of which were half price. ?The tables were never full, but there was a steady flow of patrons, many of them local, I am sure. The service was excellent and the variety of entrees on the menu was enough to keep us interested for two visits. Be sure to have the oysters....they were the greatest.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

After a previous good experience, our family was looking forward to re-visiting this restaurant. Three of us have food allergies, so even though we'd been there before I called ahead and made sure this was not going to be a problem. I was assured that our allergies (gluten and dairy) could be accommodated and that they would be very happy to serve us.

This was a complete lie.

First, let's talk about our server. We informed the hostess that we were the folks that called about the food allergies. We assumed that, like most restaurants, they would seat us with an experienced server. Nope. He took forever to show up after we sat down, so much so that I went to the hostess and asked who/where our server was. He took our drink order, and we asked a couple of questions about the food concerning our allergies. He said he'd check. Drinks took a long time, and we assumed that was because he was talking to the kitchen. Nope. Brought our drinks, and told us he still needed to go talk to the chef. He finally came back and said everything checked out, we were ordering basically the same thing we had the last time. So we put our order in a good 30 minutes after sitting down. We were frustrated, but we figured once the kitchen took over everything would be fine, right?

Yeah, wrong.

First, my husband's food. He splurged on one of the 'all you can eat' specials, the crab legs. Apparently 'all you can eat' at Rick's is a phrase that means 'three'. Because that's all he got. Despite numerous requests to our server (when we could find him) and another server, and the fact that we sat for another 40 minutes while we *thought* the kitchen was trying to straighten out the 3 botched meals (more on that later). Over thirty bucks, and all he got were three little legs and a few cold french fries. This alone would be gobsmacking, but it gets worse.

Second, my meal. Now, I only have a gluten issue, I can eat dairy. So I ordered grilled fish, same as I had last time. I specifically mentioned when ordering my sides that anything, ANYTHING, from the fryer was not okay because of the cross contamination with breaded fried foods. After a long wait, my food comes out. On my plate, *on top of my grilled fish*, were hush puppies. Yup, not only from the fryer, but they actually are made with wheat flour! And what was right next to the hush puppies. A *roll*. Yes, actual bread. On my food. I point out (calmly) the error. So he takes my plate, removes the rolls and hush puppies, and tries to hand it back. Really? REALLY? Who does this? Gross, even if it wasn't for the fact that he should get that all those crumbs visibly stuck to my fish from the roll and hush puppies are a problem.

Next, my daughter. This was the best of a bad lot, because at least she got the chicken tenders she ordered. The only problem was they were completely inedible. Dry and tap on the table hard. And despite numerous requests, no ketchup or mustard for dipping in was ever brought.

Finally, my boys. They are the ones with both the gluten and dairy allergies. Their treatment by Rick's Crab Trap is what is so disgusting, and why we will never, ever go back. Their food came out last, after they waited very patiently, entirely too long, with the help of a couple snacks from my purse. We ordered burgers, without the bun of course, with a side of boiled potatoes. Same as last time, and a dish that we specifically asked the server to double check with the kitchen. Well, their food not only came out with the burgers on buns, but also with cheese. At this point I was *livid*, since they had already waited so long that my husband had finished his three crab legs (and requested more, more than once) and my daughter had eaten her sides. I managed to keep my cool, and informed the server that their plates would have to be *completely* remade since the potatoes were cross contaminated (visibly, the cheese melted over on them). He left, and we did not see him for a good ten minutes. He finally came back after we sent another server after him.

He announced "The actual burger patties have gluten in them. There's nothing here your kids can eat." He then turned around and walked away.

After that, the rest (trying to get any sort of check, a manager never coming to talk to us, etc) is just not worth telling. Server, kitchen, and Rick's Crab Trap: you just either nearly got two little boys seriously ill for a couple weeks with carelessness, or you refused to serve two sweet, patient little boys who behaved wonderfully through all these delays because you are a total screw ups and you don't want to admit it. Either way, you are beneath contempt.

Our family is local. We've eaten in *dozens* of restaurants from Pensacola to Panama City. Local places. Chain places. Fast food to white table cloth. We have NEVER experienced this level of incompetence, rudeness, and disgusting behavior anywhere on the Emerald Coast. It took me two months to write this because I was so completely gobsmacked that I could barely believe it actually happened.

Find another local place for you seafood with a view. Food allergies or no, a place that would treat customers this badly isn't worth your time or money.

1  Thank AmyGlutenFree
NikkiW131, Owner at Rick's Crab Trap, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2013

First of all I want to fully apologize for your visit!! WE in no shape or form work our business this way! None of this is tolerated and in fact this server no longer works here. I had quite a few issues with this person and I take customer service very seriously. We have items the are available for gluten free and including for children. I am here every day and night and not one thing was ever said to me at all from the server that there was issues or I would of taken care it immediately, and I feel terrible this even happened!! I would like if you would please contact me at the restaurant by phone or email and I want to refund your entire dining tab that evening and even give you a gift certificate to come back. My husband and I are trying to change the restaurant around to make it the "Place to Eat in Destin" and we have done a ton of improvements. We also hand out customer survey cards so when there are issues that are not brought to our attention we can fix them through this way. I also apologize for the crab leg issue, they are not to limit your crab legs at all!! We have had tables in here eating crab all night long. Also again this is not our practice and I can not aplogize enough and feel completely terrible you had an experience like this. Please please email me at rickscrabtrap@gmail.com or call me at (850)269-1252 and ask for Nikki and I will immediatley refund your dinner and would like to speak to you more about this situation.
Thank you very much for your time! Again I promise you this was and will be taken care of correctly. Im beside myself this even happened here and even more so that the server nor the greeter even spoke to me so I could correct your evening. I apologize greatly and really look forward to speaking to you!