Had the Barley Bree recommended to us by a friend so decided to treat ourselves to a night away and dinner.
The rooms are really cosy and comfortable - huge soft bed dominates the room (we had room 5) and there is a small but clear and practical shower room. Nice tea tray with free water and a little bottle of Barley Bree whiskey.
But it's all about the food. The restaurant is lovely - the log burning stove was lit so although the restaurant was quiet it was really warm and welcoming. The staff are lovely and friendly and happy to help with food or wine selections. The menu is small but really interesting and well put together. I had the peat smoked haddock with noodles, soy, ginger and chilli and curry sauce and other half had the watercress and spinach soup, main was gloucester old spot pork loin with Stornaway black pudding stovies for both of us. Delish. We shared a pear tart tartin for dessert and was truly excellent.
Breakfast was also very good.
Weather was awful while we were there so we didn't get out and about in the countryside but it's a lovely part of the world and lots of nice walks near by if you want to walk off the lovely food.
Staff and owners are great and welcoming. Was just criminal that the restaurant wasn't busier but think the weather was putting people off - I do hope so as this place deserves to be super busy.
Was a really nice mini break and we will definitely return for another visit.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In beautiful Perthshire less than an hour from Edinburgh and Glasgow. Award-winning restaurant with 6 guest rooms all ensuite. The menus showcase local food, such as hand-dived scallops, venison carpaccio,apple tarte tatin ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Cheap Tickets so you can book your Barley Bree reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Barley Bree Hotel Muthill
- Barley Bree Muthill, Scotland