“An oasis of cake”

Ranked #1 of 6 things to do in Acharacle
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We've visited here a number of times over the years and its always been warm and freindly and is a great place to stop off when you are exploring this wonderful area. Very friendly and packed with information on the local wildlife. Good simple food with lovely views. A well stocked gift shop containing, gifts, guides, maps, books, local arts and crafts plus a range of walkers apparel. The living building contains a great display of flora & fauna, probably a good way to entertain children if the weather keeps you off the hills! Well worth a visit.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

We very much enjoyed our coffee and cakes. The coffee was especially good, I was pleased with the care taken to make it. The scones were delicious and obviously freshly baked. We sat in the lovely little sun room which was covered in vines and loaded with grapes - quite unexpected. There was a great selection of " goodies " & the usual touristy stuff to buy ( I was parted from my money) We didn't check out the interactive exibits, not really our thing, but if I had brought my Grandchildren I would definitely have taken them in. It was all very pleasant, so much so that when we were on our way back from our day out, we called in for more!

Reviewed August 13, 2012

We stopped off here for a late afternoon snack and were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the homebaking on offer. If I'm honest, the presentation wasn't some of the best I've seen and I wasn't expecting very much from the rather limited selection on offer. However, the proof of the pudding in this case was definitely in the eating - the fruit scones were delicious. My husband tried the chocolate brownie and to my chargrin, proclaimed they were even better than my own, humph...I tried some and (rather annoyingly) he was absolutely right, they too were delicious. My daughter had some of the banana and walnut loaf, and, you guessed it, that was delicious as well. We fast came to the conclusion that everything they had to offer was of an exceptionally high standard. To be fair, we arrived late in the afternoon and they did explain they had been very busy that day and had sold out of a lot of items on the menu, so that might expalin some of the presentation issues. The service was good, we barely had to wait for our order, despite the cafe still being pretty full and the shop had a good selection of gifts on offer. The prices were also very reasonable and defintely offered value for money. We will make sure we visit again next year. Thank you!!

Reviewed July 2, 2012

This small but perfectly formed attraction on the Ardnamurchan Peninsula is a delightful place to visit for anyone interested in getting up close and personal with wildlife. The exhibits are interesting, the videos absorbing, watching the creatures walking across surface of the lily pond behind the glass kept us fascinated for quite a while.

Where else can you watch Herons flying into the nest while drinking tea outside?

Reviewed June 18, 2012

This is a great little place, nice views, variety of wares to buy in the shop and a quirky nature exhibit to visit. But the big disappointment is the cafe menu, you can have any combination of cheese, tuna or prawns!!
This is a menu from a 70's roadside caff, not tailored to the area's activity bound visitors.
The cake selection is slightly better but the shop bought gateau's let it down.
A business opportunity lost if ever there was.