“Rustic but good value”
Review of Marykirk Hotel

Marykirk Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Marykirk
Reviewed March 28, 2014

It is very much a traditional room above a pub type hotel. The decor, style and facilities are all very standard, though were all clean and well maintained (but my mattress was a little thin!).
Food and service were very good, especially the evening meal in the snug little bar.
I think it is a fine and inexpensive place to spend a couple of nights, especially if you are fishing in the area. It is an easy walk from some of the beats on the North Esk and the hotel will provide a packed lunch, and a breakfast which will make you fell like you don't need it.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Marykirk H, Owner at Marykirk Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2014

Thank you very much for your positive comments. It is great to read that you
enjoyed your stay whilst fishing on the River Esk. We have managed to keep
our room rates (with complementary large cooked breakfast) unchanged for the past
four years and it is encouraging to read that you recognise that our room
rates are "value for money" and that our food and atmosphere is good. We look
forward to seeing you again next time you are fishing on the North Esk. Thank
you again.

Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

I cannot rate Marykirk Hotel Highley enough. They have lovely friendly staff who are so welcoming and accommodating.

I visit here regularly with friends for lovely food and great nights out. Both the lunch and evening menus are full of choice and they often have some lovely specials on offer. I have some dietary requirements and the staff and chef have been more than happy to help with these.

Definitely worth a visit!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends

Many thanks for your positive words regarding your dining experiences at my Hotel. It is really encouraging for myself and my staff to read that our efforts to provide quality food and warm hospitality are so well appreciated. Thank you for making the time to write such a positive review.

Reviewed February 3, 2014

I stayed recently at this hotel and could not be made to feel more welcome by the owner Teresa.
Friendly staff at the bar,good food and a quiet comfortable nights sleep in a warm/ clean room.
Not to far from aberdeen to commute.
I will stay again.
Full marks, keep up the good work.

• Stayed: February 2014

Thank you very much for the positive and encouraging comments concerning your recent stay at my Hotel. It is great to hear that all our efforts to create a friendly atmosphere, comfortable accommodation and quality dining were appreciated and made you feel "at home”. I look forward to seeing you again next time.

Reviewed January 30, 2014

Went here for a birthday meal as we live locally. Curry came full of oil, asked politely for some more sauce and was advised that the chef refused to provide more sauce as he would have to make it fresh. No apology or offer to resolve the issue, basically eat it or leave it. Then wanted to charge us almost £50 overall for the pleasure! Very disappointing attitude from the chef, leaving the waiting staff to deal with disgruntled customer. We won't be back

Stayed: January 2014
4  Thank Happyholidayer5
Marykirk H, Owner at Marykirk Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2014

Dear Sir,

Firstly I would like to apologise for your disappointment in one of the bar
meals of your party of four. It is the first negative Trip Advisor comment that I have received in nearly four years of trading and I take this very seriously. I am also sorry that, as the Owner, I was not on hand myself to discuss this with you, but I subsequently examined the CCTV footage of the bar and dining area of the time of your visit and interviewed my staff on duty.

You wrote that you did not like the texture of your sauce and that my Chef did not rectify the situation to your satisfaction. I’d like to explain that we are a small Country Hotel and mid-week have only one Chef on duty. Also, Chef was in the middle of our busiest part of the evening cooking for several other diners and, when informed by the waitress that you had requested some more sauce, he said that he would have to complete the other meals that he was in the middle of cooking before he could attend to your request (as our sauce is cooked freshly). The waitress conveyed this information to you.

Chef states that he also told the waitress that he would come out to your table and see you once he had finished the ongoing cooking.

Your comment regarding the meal cost is misleading.... I examined the copy of your party’s bill and the TOTAL cost of cooked meals for your party of four people was £45.25. In response to your complaint that the sauce was not to your taste, the bar waitress waived the cost of your own meal (£10.45), bringing the total outstanding bill to £34.80 (the total for three other cooked meals). Even after waiving your own meal cost, our waitress informed me that you had expected the whole bill for the party of four to be waived, even though the other three diners in your party were happy with their meals….and all four of you had consumed all the food on your plates.

Thank you again for your comments and I reassure you that I will continue to strive to ensure the high quality of our food and service at all times and to maintain the fine reputation we have in the locality for quality food at keen prices.

best regards,
Owner. Marykirk Hotel

Reviewed January 18, 2014

I have stayed at this Hotel for five days being on training in Petrofac Center.
I've got much more than was expected.
Although the place itself situated about 8 miles away from Montrose and 3 miles away from the Petrofac, the owner/administrator was so helpful during the whole stay by taking me to the course and back every day.
Comfortable room with quality furniture. The bar - is something special and the food was delicious.
Any problem has been solved immediately. Well, great impression!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed so much your week’s stay at my Hotel whilst you were here from Ukraine attending a Petrofac Oil Industry Training Course in nearby Montrose. Thank you very much for your positive comments, which are very much appreciated by myself and my staff.

Reviewed January 14, 2014

We have been going to the Marykirk Hotel for quite a while and have had many a good lunch. The staff are great and nothing is to much trouble for them.

In the summertime its great to eat outside, but even in the colder weather there is a lovely wood burning stove which keeps the bar really cozy, only have eating in the bar as we go for lunch but the restuarant looks lovely

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Marykirk H, Owner at Marykirk Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2014

"Dear 19CaroleK. Thank you very much for your very kind comments on the
quality of the meals, service and ambiance that you experienced recently
whilst having lunch at the Marykirk Hotel. Your comments create and encourage
a positive attitude for both myself and my staff. We feel proud that all our
efforts are appreciated, and this appreciation certainly means everything to
me personally. Thanks from Teresa"

Reviewed October 15, 2013

We have stayed at The Marykirk Hotel now for the last 5/6 years during our annual 3 day fishing trip on the North Esk. Felt I needed to comment on how good everything was again during our stay. Great welcome, excellent beer and service coupled with an extensive menu, beautifully cooked and presented. Clean comfortable rooms and friendly, friendly service. There was nothing more you could ask for in this well run Hotel. Fantastic value as well. Booked for next year.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Marykirk H, Owner at Marykirk Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2013

Many thanks for your generous comments and I have passed these on to my staff. It is very encouraging to receive such a nice review and it lifts us all to see that our efforts have been appreciated by our guests.
I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that you have booked again for the next fishing season. We look forward to seeing you again ! Warmest regards, Teresa

Also consider these accommodations in or near Marykirk
Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Edzell
Links Hotel
Links Hotel
#2 of 5 in Montrose

Been to Marykirk Hotel? Share your experiences!