“Quaint, but not worth the price”
Review of Loch Kinord Hotel

Loch Kinord Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dinnet
Reviewed November 7, 2013

We had chosen this hotel from trip advisor because of it's location and reviews. In particular the gourmet restaurant which was the high point of our stay there.

The down side, and I emphasise a slight dissapointment rather than a reason never to return is that we booked their premium room but found it small with the space taken up by a king size four poster bed.

There is no veiw, except from where I slept I had a street lamp directly outside illuminating the room so the curtains must be closed, not a fault of the proprietor obviously but a consideration when setting the price.

Lots of hot water on tap and a large bath but the temprature when using the shower fluctuated constantly from very hot to freezing again an acceptable annoyance in itself at any hotel where you have to share water pressure but taken all together with a £95 (b&b) price tag, sorry but it didn't make the grade.

I would return simply for the food though, the restaurant was delightful staffed by very pleasant waitresses and the dishes we had were excellent. We had pre booked the two course option with our room but added the coffee bean ice cream and a lemon tart I would highly recommended them both.

Breakfast served in the same style was delightful rounding off our stay as a good experience

Room Tip: We stayed in room 3 and our reveiw is based on it only
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Roadrat102

Reviewed November 6, 2013

Spent 2 nights at this lovely hotel last week and could not praise the service, food and comfort enough. We also had the room with 4 poster bed and whirlpool bath - very impressive. Planning to go back next year already

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 6, 2013

I would just like to say a big thanks to all the staff who accomodated me and my wife's needs on Saturday 2nd November. We had been meaning to stop by for a couple of years as the hotel appeared so warm and welcoming, the staff were really helpfull and the food was first class. The views were outstanding and I would reccomend the hotel to anyone who would like a nice friendly stay away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. Of all the places I have stayed in the area I would have to say that this hotel has been the best!

Thanks again for your hospitallity,

Andrew McGregor

Room Tip: The master suite has a sauna and a Jacuzzi and the food is fresh and locally sourced
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Booked the hotel at the (almost) last minute when we wanted to stay in Aberdeen but literally could not find an available room anywhere in the city! I do actually like independent hotels - with the main chains you know what to expect but you could be in any city anywhere in the world. on arrival the welcome was warm and the hotel has bags of character. We actually got the last available room but it was clean and had all the facilities required. Dinner in the restaurant was excellent - local produce well cooked and presented and prompt and polite service. Likewise the breakfast which was individually cooked rather than a buffet. Next time we are in the area we will come back rather than stay in Aberdeen - its worth the drive!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Simmo5810
Reviewed September 1, 2013

First off, Andrew, owner and manager, couldn't have been more helpful with us when we made our reservations. Helpful and informative as to activities around Dinnet, he made our stay totally enjoyable. The hotel is located between Ballater and Aboyne, right near Loch Kinord, making it an location for visiting Balmoral, for riding at Glentanar, and for seeing this phenomenal countryside.
Then there were the meals! I want that mushroom feullité recipe! The morning porridge, in addition to the rest of the lovely breakfast, was sooo worth getting of bed for. Oh the wonderful Salmon-GravadLax. Even if one stays elsewhere, I would definitely make Loch Kinord my dinner destination.
The rooms were nicely appointed, albeit not all with a view. There is a pleasant drawing room filled with books, a fireplace and a whisky bar. Outside the hotel there is a pleasant garden area with a porch, terrace and picnic tables to enjoy meals or an evening drink.
Service was very friendly.
In short, if I could, I would make this my home away from home in Scotland.

Room Tip: The family room upstairs had a large bedroom plus sitting area, which was big enough to sleep two ad...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Small comfortable hotel offering warm welcome :) We had a lovely room with four poster bed & whirlpool bath Staff very friendly & helpful Excellent breakfast cooked to order
Would definitely come back here & recommend to others

Room Tip: Ideally placed for trips to Ballater, Balmoral etc
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fionap60
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Perhaps we arrived at the wrong time, needing a room for a Saturday night we were disappointed by the poor decor and standard of the attic room, it was scruffy to say the least. Dinner on the Saturday evening was as good as we had eaten elsewhere in Scotland, but more expensive..Staff were helpful and couteous ,until we were ready to leave when presumably the owner(who was willing to accept my payment) watched as my husband struggled out of the hotel with several heavy items - had he offered to hold the door open it would have meant a grat deal!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dinnet
Deeside Inn
#1 of 3 in Braemar
Braemar Lodge Hotel
Braemar Lodge Hotel
#2 of 3 in Braemar

Been to Loch Kinord Hotel? Share your experiences!