“not a belle at all”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lisbellaw
Belle Isle Castle and Cottages
Dover, New Hampshire
“not a belle at all”
Reviewed March 26, 2012

booking process was easy. The welcome wasnt welcoming. I was told after asking about outside lighst to use my headlights on the car. asked about a fireplace and was told you have a heated cottage... But if you need to have a fire there is one.The views were beautiful the donkeys were fun to feed carrots too but no signs of chickens for fresh eggs .I did want to tour the castle for a possible wedding in the future but was told to come back later. I wasnt feeling the warmth I was hoping would be there. The downstairs shower didnt work . The bed mattress was very uncomfortable. I was also given a very cold shoulder by the gentleman there......too bad

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank 53moa
FionaP28, Manager at Belle Isle Castle and Cottages, responded to this review, April 14, 2012
I am sorry that you felt the welcome at Belle Isle was not warm. It is my policy to show clients to their houses on arrival as a matter of courtesy. The heating in the cottage was on and on your arrival, as you were feeling the cold, I turned up the heating. Free logs for the wood burning stoves are available for all our guests. I explained that premises in the heart of the countryside do not normally have street lights as these are mainly for pedestrians in urban situations. We have never had complaints about the comfort of the beds in the cottage. Eggs are available at the reception and the 16 hens are situated bedside the donkey field in a large hen house and run. The fuse for the shower had blown and was replaced as soon as we were aware of its malfunction. If you had brought it to my attention it would have been repaired immediately.The castle is viewable by appointment and as it was occupied on your arrival I suggested you came to the reception the following day to arrange a suitable time for viewing. We always give a warm welcome to our guests and are on site to deal with any problems at any time if and when they occur.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 4, 2012

We were a party of 7 and had booked two different cottages (No4 Chestnut and No7 Ash) to accommodate our entire party. Booking was easy and very well organised. Good information and professional advice from the staff. Check in was easy and relaxed and even had a touch of entertainment as the various animals were introduced to us and some of the unusual rules about the venue were explained. None of these were restrictive and were about not feeding the dogs or horses and that sort of thing.

Both of our cottages were as described and were warm and welcoming. Wood burning stoves as well as efficient central heating making them lovely and cosy. Good sized lounges and kitchens and all of the bedrooms that we had access to were also a good size.

Facilities were average, slightly antiquated cookers and electrical appliances were a little disappointing. As were TVs which, on a rainy evening would have been useful. No remote control and no simple video inputs for replaying photos of our days out. Cheap kitchen units also showing signs of age with veneer peeling off the doors and drawers.

A bit of care and attention is required to maintain the cottages, and this may be (and needs to be) done before the summer season. All the exterior woodwork could do with a spruce up and interior floors need a coat of varnish. Cottage No4 also has a large damp patch in the bathroom and several of the roof lights which may have leaked or suffered from a bit of condensation also need some attention as several have peeling paint.

The drive up to the castle is really nice and the general aspect is fantastic. If I was returning I would definitely investigate some of the other properties for rent as the other cottages would provide a much more secluded and private experience. With all of the cottages in the courtyard sharing the central space which is the courtyard there was too much coming and going to make it feel like a quiet weekend away. If you were going with a large party of perhaps several different family groups and had booked several cottages and were moving between them, this venue would be perfect but if you wanted a secluded hideaway, then the courtyard is not the spot.

The castle on the grounds is spectacular to look at, but unfortunately is mostly private, with no access even for walking around the exterior. It seems that only one 'wing' at one edge is
available for hire. I was disappointed that there were no gardens to enjoy and although the whole area is open for walking, it is farmland with lanes and fences. It was not really clear where access was available and several angry dogs prevented the feeling of free roaming.

We had an enjoyable weekend and might well return to the venue, but not necessarily to the courtyard.

Room Tip: Book early and discuss your requirements as the estate has many options to offer.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Polychrest
Reviewed November 23, 2011

We booked a weekend stay at belle isle and stayed in the walled garden cottage. It was a great place as we were able to bring our dog and take her for walks on the beautiful estate. The cottage was warm, comfortable and well equipped with everything you could need. Good quality bed linen and towels.

The grounds were excellent with lots of great places to let your dog of the lead and go for a good run. Staff were very friendly and welcoming. Very dog friendly!

Belle Isle is a picturesque place to go, relax and get away from it all. We will be back!

• Stayed November 2011
5 Thank Davgem
St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed September 30, 2011

I had the opportunity to spend a night in the castle's Lotus Room. A grand four poster bed dominated the oversized room while Jacobean wallpaper, accented in mossy brown and grenadine, granted a stately feel. The presence of a fireplace completed the heavenly retreat. An ingenious renovation of the en-suite bath featured smart white fixtures against vibrant poppy red walls.

Following my group's scrumptious meal in the Banquet Hall, I needed a late night promenade. I meandered down the long lane and when I turned back toward the castle, my mind began envisioning knights on horseback, carriages and queens. I reentered the mansion, a world apart from my everyday life. I then escaped to indulge the tranquility of my elegant bedroom, feeling myself, like a princess.

Room Tip: Signing up for lessons at the cookery school would make the most fun getaway weekend.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Bylandersea
Enniskillen, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 23, 2011

The Cookery School is a great day out. Much more enjoyable than spending time in a Spa. Liz Moore is an excellent, interesting teacher. Many tips, loved to watch and listen.
Great to cook and not have to find the ingredients or wash dirty dishes and utensils.
My 'classmates' were friendly and good company. Departed very happy after a great day.
Did not stay as I am a local.

Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Joan C
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 1, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for one night on the 28th of April. We were in apartment 7 in the courtyard. The whole estate is so beautiful. The great weather probably helped lots too, but I really fell in love with the place!

I loved that each room has a picnic table outside of it.

The rooms have everything you could ever need and are so clean and comfy. The surrounding area is beautiful, and there is so much to see / do.

I really hope to be back again soon!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank katieleroux
athenry
Reviewed April 29, 2011

Lovely cottages, beautiful setting, quiet and restful. Dogs welcomed too which is a big advantage.

What a shame there was no dishwasher and the office closed on holidays.

Would still recommend the location to friends.

Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank macneillAthenry
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lisbellaw
Lough Erne Resort
#1 of 1 in Lisbellaw
Belmore Court Motel
Belmore Court Motel
#1 of 7 in Enniskillen

Been to Belle Isle Castle and Cottages? Share your experiences!