“Steak gate disaster not true!!!!”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Saint Georges-super-Ely
Greendown Inn Hotel
Reviewed April 11, 2011

Booked the campsite through Caravan Club as a base for Cardiff for Wales -v- England in March. Booked it first, read reviews second, so the four of us were apprehensive about the review regarding the owner and the food. Sounded liked faulty towers!!! We could not have been more wrong. The owners are polite, easy going, very helpful and nothing was too much trouble for them. Taxi's, directions, places to go etc they knew it all. Locals all chatty, food perfect (homemade steak pie and chips best we have had) and to top it all off 9% local cider tastes like nectar £2 per pint! What a bargain. My gang are not short of a pound or two but isn't it nice to stumble upon great food, great company and a pint of local scrumpy!!!

Room Tip: Nice and rural but only £12 taxi to town
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
6  Thank offertonchris

Reviewed March 14, 2011

Used the Greendown Inn Ely as a base for the recent Wales v Ireland Rugby match. We stayed in their small camp site for 2 nights (11th & 12th March). Ok needs a taxi trip in the City, £10-£12 not bad. Bus passes by from time to time, but opted for the taxi.
Great pub, nice food, staff very helpful. Ok place could do with some TLC, but difficult to balance running a business & spending money on tarting up the place in these difficult times. The odd 2 or 3 nighter as a base camp for Cardiff, just fine. But a 2 to 3 weeks main summer holiday, I'd need to think about that one!
Don't agree with the review below who complained about the steak. Ours were just perfect. We thought the food menu was spot on, with a nice selection of drinks. Combined with a couple of warm log burners at either side of this wonderful 15th century building with low wooded beams ceilings!
Our thanks go out o the staff and owners of the Greendown Inn for making our second stay at the camp site enjoyable. Will use it again if we need to visit Cardiff.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Anglesey57
Reviewed February 24, 2011

Overall a good stay.rooms are basic but comfortable enough.showers could be a little more powerful as it was more like a drip!but clean and tidy which is all you can ask for.breakfast spot on! and the lady who I presumes owns the place is particulary attentive in taking your order and getting it out to you quickly and any extras you need.
I was here in a fairly large group but generally we were all looked after pretty well.

My only minor gripe is with the owners husband who to me borders on rude!some of what he calls a joke aren't to others!especially if it's his paying guests!needs to learn some manners and respect!.apart from that great value for money at £15pppn and good food

• Stayed: February 2011
3  Thank Stuart1975-2011
Reviewed October 17, 2010

Peaceful and comfortable accommodation 15 minutes from the centre of Cardiff but you will need transport. Two prolonged stays so far and i would go back anytime. Superb food and very considerate attention to detail.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank geoffturner100
Reviewed January 31, 2010

We only went there for some food and to participate in the quiz, a nice steak I thought. When the food came the steak had to be the smallest ever, and to make matters worse it was half fat. Usually I wouldn't complain, however the steak was £14. I'm used to eating in Cardiff city centre and paying that price for a decent size of sirloin with little fat, however this was truly unacceptable. After complaining to the waitress, she didn't know what to say, so got her colleague to come over, all she answered with was "sirloin is a little fatty". I said to serve a steak with 40% fat is unjustifiable and she said it was standard there. I questioned her whether she would be happy if I dished it up for her and she replied with "I don't eat steak". After consistently moaning the manager finally lumbered over, first thing he did was not make eye contact then gave a speech about how sirloin there is relatively fattier than most steak and if we were a regular there, he would of given a leaner piece of meat with less fat. Now what type of service is that, if a dish is for a regular, they get the perks and better bargain, as opposed to a non regular who gets the worse? In the end, it boiled down to the manager not shifting and offering no compensation or even an apology. I would seriously not recommend this place for food or entertainment.

In summary:

The food is poor
The service is terrible
The manager is the most ignorant and unprofessional ever

• Stayed: January 2010
3  Thank MoralCompass
Reviewed August 27, 2008

stayed here for 1 night and it was 1 night too long as the room was very sub -standard,shower was all mouldy and the ceiling had quite a few spiders crawling about it and worst off all we were both covered in bites the next again day.We phoned the hotel to complain when we got home and the manager is one of the most ignorant people i have ever spoken to and I certainly would not recommend this hotel as a place to spend even 1 night

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank wavchamp
Reviewed October 26, 2006

Looked like a nice hotel, so booked a room. Unfortunately had to cancel, as the event I was attending got cancelled. I cancelled well in advance of the booking date, by both email & phone, but they still took the full room cost out of my account. When I rang to ask for my money back, they hung up on me.
Would not recommend booking this place unless you're prepared to meet a rude Manager who refers to you as 'little lady' , and you want a fight on your hands to get your money back.

Stayed: September 2006
6  Thank Brandy11
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Georges-super-Ely
Copthorne Hotel Cardiff-Caerdydd
Travelodge Cardiff M4 Hotel
Old Post House
Old Post House
#12 of 47 in Cardiff

Been to Greendown Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!