“Very informative”

Big Pit: National Coal Museum
Ranked #1 of 9 things to do in Blaenavon
More attraction details
Owner description: Take a unique underground tour of a real coalmine, where hundreds of men, women and children once worked to extract the precious mineral that stoked furnaces and lit the household fires of the world.
Reviewed August 31, 2017

This is a real mine and it gets dark and you often have to duck down, but it was very informative. The guides were very friendly and very funny.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,195)
All reviews
in 28 reviews
"mining industry"
in 30 reviews

Reviewed August 31, 2017

What a day out. I went with my two children, 10 and 8 and parents. We parked up and the first thing we heard was singing on the hills. Set us up for a great day! Mum didn't want to do the underground tour, but the rest of us did. It really appeals to all ages. Our guide was hilarious and informative. The underground pit tour takes around 50 minutes, but it flies by! As you finish the tour and step outside, you struggle to adjust to the light, making some of the things talked about underground seem very poignant.

Lunch was good in the canteen. Such awesome views.

There are so many places to see here. 4 hours can fly by so quickly, so try to get there early. Wrap up though, it is cold underground.

Reviewed August 30, 2017 via mobile

My dad was a miner so when we said where we were going my parents had to come.. mum and me were a little apprehensive as we both don't like small spaces but what an experience we had . Dad had a fantastic time brought back so many memories. Once at the pit floor the tour guide was very informative. It can become very low in most places and you have to do a lot of bending it also very uneven under foot but that did not spoil the experience my dad is 80 and mum 76 .mum a d I struggled a bit as we both have back and knee problems but the guide allowed us to take our time while going around...yhe tour underground is around 45min and it can be very cold and wet so make sure you take appropriate clothing ... after the tour and you get back to surface there still so much more to see the baths etc... if you planning on coming here you need a full day as when busy you could be waiting for up to an hour to go under ground but it's well worth it .. I defently be back again... or and it's free but they do like you to give a donation.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 30, 2017 via mobile

I went with my two daughters of 10 and son of 7 and my husband. As soon as we got there we went for the mine tour, it was busy but we didn't wait long. We've put the gear on and went down with a tour guy who used to work in the mine! The kids absolutely loved it, every single minute of it. The tour guide explained every single detail, was ready to answer any question and was also really friendly! After the mine tour we saw the other areas everything was very interesting even for the children!

See more reviews
Reviewed August 29, 2017

We have been before, but this time around, one of the miners recognised my husband and shouted [what you doing here Dai] IT WAS SPEACIAL,it does show that these men are x coal miners and still working, they know all about mining, it is fantastic day out for children, they must take notice of other young children, having to go down the mines, to get some money to top up the family income. Maybe learn a valuable lesson.