“Beautiful home cooked food with generous portions and great price-lots of choice for Vegetarians”
Review of Talbot Hotel

Talbot Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Berriew
Reviewed July 23, 2014

Went here for food with my mum & fiancé whilst on holiday staying at the lodges down the road. We were impressed with the choice of fresh home cooked meals on the menu all at reasonable prices- I was very impressed with Vegetarian selection too & opted for the veggie home made lasagne. My mum went for the sirloin steak and my fiancé had the homemade steak & ale pie. We also had starters and sides. All our food was delicious with generous portions which I loved as I am a big eater! For dessert I had the creme brûlée as it's my favourite dessert, which was the BEST creme brûlée I have ever tasted!!!

This is such a gorgeous little country pub with lovely ambiance and full of character in a picturesque traditional welsh village. The staff are very friendly and service was great. I did not stay in any of the rooms so cannot comment on the hotel aspect side of things.

I highly recommend everyone has a meal here, you won't be disappointed! I will definitely be back again when I'm next in the area.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank MelissaMarie15

Reviewed July 19, 2014

Me and my boyfriend had a lovely stay at the talbot hotel, we have eaten here a few times and the food is always delicious and at very high quality (steaks are fantastic). Staff are happy and friendly and always willing to help.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Booked a meal for five people and a baby and we specified a high chair. Waited an hour to be seated, High chair was not set up, only a booster seat not suitable for a baby, no one willing or able to help we eventually set up the high chair and proceeded to clean it as it was dirty. Starters were not too bad but the Sunday lunches were appalling,the food was lukewarm, the worse roast potatoes I have seen or tasted, the vegetables were uncooked and cold, the stuffing (package) was hard on the outside and not cooked on the inside. The vegetarian meal was inedible covered in concealed gravy and was stone cold on complaining the meal was taken away and we were fairly certain it was the same food returned just moved around and reheated. We complained about the Sunday lunches which we had ate little of and a member of staff apologised and did not charge us for the meal, which was something but then we had spent over two hours of our time in the Talbot. Would not recommend.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank Cushna
TheTalbotHotel, Owner at Talbot Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2014

in response to your review the booster/highchair is recommended from the 6 months plus it has straps and a tray that can be fitted to the front of it like any highchair and we have never had a problem with it before and as for the other highchair that you helped yourselves to without a member of staff having time to get it out for you and clean as it is now never used as the other seats we have everyone likes as the children can sit closer to the table. As for your comment about the awful meal you were the only table that lunch that thought that, in fact everyone else love there lunch and service they received. Also my staff did try and get you to leave your number so I could contact you personally but you weren't will to do this so there isn't a lot else I can do about the situation. feel free to contact me direct if you would like to speak further on the matter.
Regards Jackie Pryce

Reviewed July 4, 2014

we took 2 rooms (1 and 2). Room 1 had a small double and a spare bed so I took one bed my husband who is tall took the double so he could fit in on the diagonal. Our children, 11 and 13 had room 2, it had a small double and 2 singles. No fridge in the room but the bar man was happy to store all our refrigerated items.

The staff were very friendly and more than happy to help. Free wi-fi worked well. We had a few drinks outside before having dinner which was very generous and yummy to boot.

The single bed in room 1 was a bit lumpy but the full english breakfast the following morning made up for it.

Good value for money

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Stunning little village with a pub with great charm..Very friendly and a great restaurant. Drinks were really cheap. This is our second stay as we use it as an over night stop off when traveling back from Wales. 9/10.

Room Tip: Ask for a rear room.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank eyeeye2014
Reviewed March 19, 2014

We had Sunday Lunch at the Talbot Hotel. The welcome was good the staff lovely, place has character and very clean. Food wasnt as id hoped after reading the reviews. Starter was good but Roast Beef dinner was awful The Beef was fatty, tough and cooked way to much. Yorkshire pudding stodgy and hard. potatoes hard. we were very disappointed. The sweet however was quite nice. I can only assume after reading the rave reviews we arrived on a bad day.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Disappointed17358
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Enjoyed our 3 day stay in the Talbot Hotel/Pub in Berriew. It's an old and characteristic hotel. Besides a nice breakfast they serve also a good evening meal. We were there 24 years ago and it's still got the same cosy athmosphere. Will come back again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Berriew
The Dragon Hotel
The Nags Head
The Nags Head
#2 of 2 in Garthmyl
Restaurant James Sommerin with Rooms

Been to Talbot Hotel? Share your experiences!