“Perfect wedding venue! Fantastic food hence I reckon all round should be good.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Beggars Reach Hotel

Beggars Reach Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Burton
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

I write as “Father of the Bride” following the wedding of my daughter Michelle to Simon on 15th. September 2012 From when we first arrived at the hotel on the Friday evening we were made to feel most welcome by William & Gill and their team so consequently felt entirely relaxed by Saturday lunchtime when the ceremony took place. The setting was wonderful, the entire event a pleasure and the food served throughout the whole of our stay there was just perfect – tasted delicious, was both well-presented and plentiful, the service throughout was quite simply brilliant. I could not fault the occasion and I have no doubt that Michelle & Simon will both have taken away wonderful memories of a stunning weekend. The staff worked hard to ensure the whole event ran according to plan and really was extremely special. From our experience I would recommend any couple looking for an exceptional wedding venue to consider "Beggars Reach" where the whole weekend certainly exceeded all of our expectations. Thank you.

Rod & Kathy Moseley - Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

We recently attended a conference at this hotel, and we arrived early. I was tired (having travelled for over 5 hours in appalling weather on equally appalling roads). When I arrived, I was hungry, stressed and just wanted to sit and be miserable.

We were welcomed very warmly, despite my foul expression...superb sandwiches were found despite it being a few hours before the evening meal, along with warm drinks.

The room (7) did not have much of a view of the garden, so I was a little disappointed initially, but having said that, in the morning we could not believe our eyes... the most fabulous sunrise - I attach a photograph. As the weekend progressed the sunrises became more dramatic, and personally I felt we could not have asked for better.

Breakfasts were excellent and very filling. Freshly prepared with excellent service. Special mention here to Susan, who was so friendly, helpful and just generally made us feel that we were extremely special, no matter how late, or confused we were trying to fit in food with the conference timetable.

Attention to detail was extremely high, the meals delicious and I am not quite sure what else we could have asked for, as nothing was missing, and nothing was too much trouble. The cleanliness of the room was top-notch, and the bathroom very clean.

We shall certainly be returning on a more casual basis, as I would have just liked to sit in the gardens a lot more than our timetable allowed and felt the trip was over too quickly.

I was initially concerned about the location, but found the Hotel very easy to reach because of excellent signage on the main roads leading inwards.

Perfect.

Room Tip: Choose the ones which face sunrise. You can see the garden from every room downstairs, but the sunr...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank DyeVerse
Guildford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

We stayed at this hotel because their website showed from the menu that they cooked some outstanding food, and although the photographs showed dated interiors, the surroundings and architecture of the building were nice. We have travelled extensively as we have our own interior design business, and generally take our dog.
We were given room 16. The carpet was filthy, the shower curtain in the bathroom was mouldy and smelt really badly, and the whole room was generally unclean to include the bedthrow. We ordered our meal and hadn't eaten lunch in anticipation of this gourmet meal as depicted on their web site, food was awful and inedible apart from the starter. The manager wasn't particularly apologetic and made no gesture to compensate for our bad experience. We refused to pay for the main course and the room - he still charged us for our breakfast. Not a good way of looking after customers and as we were on local business, we were told that their reputation wasn't great. AVOID.

Room Tip: maybe rooms in the main building are better. But very dated and in need of a face lift. All the chai...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank patricialancaster
Oxford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

My Wife and I attended a wedding at this venue and booked an overnight stay. The location is lovely and I think it is geared and tailored towards wedding functions.

Upon checking in, we were given our room, room 19 to be exact, an outbuilding accessed via an outside staircase. It wasn't a bad size, a double bed, tv and tea / coffe making facilities. It looked a bit on the tired side but what really disappointed, was the bathroom. When we booked, we stated 2 adults and a baby, so it was disappointing to find only 1 towel between us. When we rang reception to say that we only had 1 towel, we received a somewhat jokey response of '1 set or 1 towel?'

The bathroom smelt of damp and there was a stream of water across the threshold of the bathroom entrance. I followed the stream and found it came from a heated towel rail bolt that simply needed tightening with the appropriate tool. I think the sad point here, is that it must have been leaking for quite some time as the radiator had started to corrode. How housekeeping had missed this towel rad on each occasion that guests had checked in and checked out, I have no idea. See the pic and judge for yourself how long it must have been leaking for.

I went down to reception and saw a gentleman in his 50's. I asked him if we there was access to the Internet. He replied that there was, and then as I was about to walk away, he asked which room? I replied 19 and he promptly said, 'No, not in yours!' I then proceeded to ask where i might go for a scenic walk, but he was too interested in serving the next guest and made me feel like I was in the way, and so I let it go. From his demeanor and the way he carried himself, I figured out he was the owner.

During the wedding, I was told that this chap also introduced the speakers, served the food, moved tables around while people were still eating and as far as I know, probably did the washing up. You could see it as being very hands on, or that he could do with hiring some more staff.

At breakfast, we met some guests from Ulverston in the Lake district. Their breakfast was late, the wrong items were bought to them and later in the day, they told us they had found the former guests pair of pants in one of the drawers.

I don't mind the floors being creaky for this period of building or that the uPVC windows wouldn't remain open, I was able to wedge them open but I do mind the lino coming away from the wall in the bathroom, the dampness and the rusty radiator + the owner making light of anything you might present him with.

The website under 'About Us' states: We are a formidable team. We have been married for 21 years and have two children, Anna who is 17 and Harry, 14. We have both worked in the hospitality industry for over 32 years.

After 32 years, you could do with learning to deal with hotel guests a little more sincerely and simply apologising when things go wrong, especially at £120.00 per night room rate.

Room Tip: No pool, sorry
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Khalidoms
Pembrokeshire, Wales.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

We were actually staying on our boat in Neyland Marina and visited this hotel which is not far from Neyland for an evening meal. As non-residents we were made very welcome, with efficient and courteous service in the bar. The dinner menu was quite extensive, with interesting starters and mains. Dinner was served in the new conservatory where the modern lighting and decor contribute to the pleasant atmosphere. My wife went for the whitebait starter followed by steak and ale pie, and I ordered the warmed goats cheese with walnut and honey, followed by gammon with pineapple. Everything was prepared and presented very well, could not fault it, so there are obviously some good chefs in the kitchen. For a reasonably priced meal that is a cut above your pub meal standard I would recommend the Beggars Reach.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

Having been invited down to wales for a wedding. A journey time of 3.5 hrs. Was delighted by the surroundings and attention to detail regarding service at this hotel. recomend this hotel to anyone in the area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Newport,Gwent,UK.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

The r/hand turning for the hotel can easily be missed(although signposted),off the Milford road,
when approaching from the Cleddau Bridge direction.A half mile of narrow track,leads to plenty
of car parking spaces.I was attending a small wedding,but the hotel can accomodate up to 200
guests.The gardens offer ideal wedding areas in fine weather.The food was excellent,and the
service timing perfect.Rooms for those staying,were of a good size.The wedding ceremony went
perfectly,and everyone enjoyed themselves.The food was prepared to a high standard,and all
enjoyed their meals with no complaints.I would visit again when going that way.

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet,and warm.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burton
Cleddau Bridge Hotel
#3 of 24 in Tenby
Lord Nelson
Lord Nelson
#2 of 2 in Milford Haven

Been to Beggars Reach Hotel? Share your experiences!