“I hour wait for food”

Ranked #54 of 96 Restaurants in Neath
Cuisines: British, Pub, Welsh
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: FAMILY RUN VILLAGE PUB/RESTAURANT offering quality homemade meals served 6 days a week in our cosy bar or traditional restaurant with a warm welcome.Fish Specials vary each week.Outdoor beer garden and childrens play area to the rear of the pub.Childrens Menu, good choice of desserts inc.Our homemade rice pudding with a hint of whisky. Specialist teas & coffees. Meals served 6 days a week Tue-Sat 12-2.30Pm & 6-8.30Pm, Sunday Lunch 12-2pm - Bookings Only. Quiz night every Weds 9pm. 2 Courses £10 on Tue, Wed, Thur - lunch & dinner, main + choice of starter or dessert from our set menu. PLEASE CALL AHEAD TO BOOK A TABLE as if no bookings in restaurant closes early.
Port Talbot, United Kingdom
“I hour wait for food”
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Booked a table here as i read the good reviews,how wrong was i to trust them!Saturday the 14th sept i was looking forward to,i booked on the monday so they had enough time to get sorted.Got there at 6.50 for 7pm table.Ordered srtaight away,waited 1 hour before the food came,we didnt even order a starter so no excuse as far as i am concerned.One couple behind us asked for desserts and waited over 20 mins for them,they should have said something,thats awful,ihave worked in numerous restaurants as a waitress and i know for a fact that the waiters/waitresses do the desserts so what was the delay there then? When we did get our food our son who is 5 was very fed up,his food nuggets were burnt,needless to say he wouldn't eat them,my partner ordered the pie,no crust on the pie so he just had the filling,what a joke a chef who cant make pastry.I had the cod,what a mistake,had the saute potato with it and it all tasted the same,i couldnt finish it.When the waiter asked was it ok,i said only ok,im sorry but itwas not good.we waited an hour for it and then it was awful,to which he replied,well we only have one chef and it is busy! I tehn said BUSY WITH 4 TABLES,not acceptable. What the hell is he like if the place is roofed then.I have to say we wont be going back and I WILL BE TeLLING people not to eat here. Regulars get much more food and service straight away,not the right way way to run a business the lamb and flag and hope you read this.You sholud be ashamed of the way you run that pub. We were hungery arriving and hungery leaving.Rather have had a chinese much better value.What a joke.

• Visited September 2013
5 Thank misskiss080
Yvonne P, Manager at The Lamb & Flag Inn, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Yes I have read your review of our pub and your experience with us on that Saturday night and let me address your problems you have raised in this review. I checked with my staff and the chef who informed me that there was not a 1 hour wait for you, there was a wait yes but it was busy at the time you ordered and he did have a number of orders in the kitchen at that time already. With regards to the couple behind you again they did not wait 20 minutes for their desserts, they did wait a little time which we apologised to them for which they were fine with as they eat regularly with us and understand David is our only chef and it does get busy on the weekends.You mentioned you used to work as a waitress but I dont think you have ever been a chef in a busy kitchen on a weekend. Our chef was working as hard as we could and most customers understand this and it does state on our menu that good food takes time and to please be patient during busy times. My staff did check with you half way through your meal to check if everything was ok with your meals and your husband said everything was fine. If you were not happy with your meals this was time to mention this not at the end of your meal. With regards to the pie your husband ordered it does state on our menu that there is a pie lid and what you received is how we present that particular dish, rather than putting in a small dish which would mean you would have less meat inside as the pastry lid would take up most of the dish. I did not understand your comment that your cod and your saute potatoes tasted the same, when they are fish and potatoes? Our battered cod is our most popular dish on the menu and we often have excellent comments about this dish. I have noticed from your other reviews on tripadvisor of other pubs and restaurants that you are very critical of all of them. In the service industry it is difficult to please customers all the time and am disappointed that you felt you had to leave a negative review on Tripadvisor. We are currently looking for another chef to assist the head chef during busy times to try and reduce waiting times but our meals can take longer than other pubs as all dishes are cooked fresh and to order and not microwaved. I would like to think that Tripadvisor reviewers will look at our Certificate of Excellence which we have received from our many happy reviewers and customers with our majority of reviews being 4.5 stars out of 5. I am sure customers will visit us and judge for themselves.

Medway
“Great food”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Fantastic food but the decor doesn't do it justice. Looks like an old people's home. Needs to be updated

• Visited September 2013
Thank for your review and I am glad you enjoyed your meal with us. I am not sure what your meant by your comment that the decor is like an 'old people's home' as we have modern furniture in the restaurant and the carpet is a must have for a pub as it is very serviceable for the type of business we run. It is an old meal and if it was decorated with very modern wallpaper it would not be inkeeping with the age of the building.We are however in the process of arranging to redecorate the restaurant to inject a bit of colour over the next few months as only now there have been sufficient funds available for us to do this. The brewery are only responsible for the outside of the pub and we have to pay for any changes internally. Once the re-dec has been done I am sure customers will see a difference. See you again soon to enjoy some excellent food.
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Really good service and food”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

My husband and I went to the Lamb and Flag last Wednesday lunchtime with two elderly relatives. We had not booked but the lovely landlady said it was okay and offered us a table. They had a fish special board and although my husband read it the landlady came over and told us what was on there, my husband had cockles and laverbread on toasted bread and the rest of us had the vegetable soup which was very hot and tasted good. We all had the fish on the specials board, my husband is very fussy about fish as he doesn't like bones but he didn't have one, we all enjoyed it very much. The landlady was really nice and worked extremely hard on her own that lunchtime behind the bar and serving the food. We will definately go back the next time we are in Neath as we live near Southampton.

• Visited August 2013
Thank you Mary for your review and your kind comments. I am glad you all enjoyed your experience with us. It was a very busy day that lunchtime you came in and am glad you all enjoyed your fish specials which are always very popular especially as we give customers the choice of sauces so they can design their own dish. Next time you come to visit would be nice to see you again. regards Yvonne, Landlady.
Neath
“Great food & service”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Visited as a group of six August 16th, all very pleased with everything we had. The choices on the menu are varied and something different from the normal 'pub grub'. I had belly pork and it was beautiful, the Bailey's cheesecake was also delicious. Service was swift and polite which all made a very pleasant Saturday evening.

• Visited August 2013
Yvonne P, Manager at The Lamb & Flag Inn, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Thank you for your kind review. Glad you all enjoyed your meal and your evening with us. See you all again soon. Regards, Yvonne
Arras, France
“On the road!”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

The place is very well decorated, the staff friendly and the food is excellent! They have a lovely garden at the back and i's always crowded.

Visited August 2013