“Fantastic Pub”

Ranked #57 of 96 Restaurants in Neath
Cuisines: British, Pub, Welsh
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: FAMILY RUN VILLAGE PUB/RESTAURANT offering quality homemade meals served 6 days a week in our cosy bar or traditional restaurant with a warm welcome.Fish Specials vary each week.Outdoor beer garden and childrens play area to the rear of the pub.Childrens Menu, good choice of desserts inc.Our homemade rice pudding with a hint of whisky. Specialist teas & coffees. Meals served 6 days a week Tue-Sat 12-2.30Pm & 6-8.30Pm, Sunday Lunch 12-2pm - Bookings Only. Quiz night every Weds 9pm. 2 Courses £10 on Tue, Wed, Thur - lunch & dinner, main + choice of starter or dessert from our set menu. PLEASE CALL AHEAD TO BOOK A TABLE as if no bookings in restaurant closes early.
Neath, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Pub”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Superb food at the Lamb and Flag.

Love this friendly pub. A warm welcome from the staff who made my kids in particular feel welcome. The food was outstanding with great value for money kids' meal which included dessert.

There was plenty of choice on the menu from the traditional pub favorites to the chef's specials. I had the lamb which was fantastic.

Great value too.

Will definitely be back

• Visited January 2013
vonnyBryncoch, Manager at The Lamb & Flag Inn, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Hi Brian, Thank you for your review. I am glad you and the family enjoyed your meals and your experience with us. Our menu has changed recently which is proving popular with a lot of our customers as we try and offer something for everyone. Glad you enjoyed your lamb it is a popular choice especially in cold weather! Hope to see you again soon. Try the Belly Pork next time it is very popular with the honey and mustard sauce all homemade by the chef (my husband!) and very tasty too!
regards
Yvonne, Landlady.

Swansea, United Kingdom
“Managers words 'if you expected a 5* service coming here, you have come to the wrong place'”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

On an evening out for Dinner, me and my friend thought we'd give The Lamb and Flag a try as are normal restaurant choices of The Bryncoch or The Dyffryn (which are both lovely and good value/service for money) were extremely busy for a Friday night. On arriving into the restaurant it looked ok though a little run down, no-one was around to show us to a seat so we choose one (out of many) empty tables. There was under 10 people eating at the time. We received our drinks promptly but afterwards service deteriorated quickly. Having only order a starter and desert, the food arrived in a reasonable amount of time, however we had to get our own cutlery as none was provided. Either because we did not order a main meal or maybe because we were not locals, it was fair to say the service 'sucked'. During the meal, no member of staff asked if our food was ok, which was unsurprising as no-one was, once again, in the restaurant. The start was eatable however my dessert was horrid! How could a simple chocolate cheesecake be so bad. It looked like something they had got from Morrisions, thrown onto a plate and spread on some cheap, tasteless, squirty cream. As again no one was around to speak to about this, we continued with our meal. When our plates were eventually taken away I spoke to the waitress about the dessert and said I was unhappy with the quality and therefore would not pay for something I had not eaten. She spoke to the manager and never came back. The manager brought our bill out, again without mentioning the dessert, and promptly walked away. The dessert was still on the bill so I planned to discuss this with her on her return to take our money...however she did not return, for over half an hour we wait, in a empty (3-4 tables all of whom had food) restaurant. Finally I approached the bar to discuss our issues. The manager was down right rude. When trying to explain the horrendous service and disappointing food, she stated no-one else had complained about the food and she tired to say the restaurant had been busy, well if that is her idea of busy then they are going to struggle if they ever become somewhere decent to eat. I would never recommend for anyone to eat somewhere were the staff/managers attitude stinks. Her words were 'if you expected a 5* service coming here, you have come to the wrong place'...Couldn't have put it better myself! If your looking for terrible value for money, stinking attitudes and rather shabby decor this is your place! My advice, for better service, go to Nando's.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Bettyboop320
vonnyBryncoch, Manager at The Lamb & Flag Inn, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
I knew these customers would write a negative review on Trip advisor as they were not happy with any part of the food or service etc. The decor is not shabby as we have decorated the bar and porch area recently and is clean and tidy but it is an old character pub/restaurant and not a modern purpose built pub like the Bryncoch Inn. When these customers arrived myself and my staff were busy in the other bar and kitchen and they automatically sat themselves at a table without waiting to be seated which is what most customers would do. I was off the bar a matter of minutes, if that, so they would not have been waiting long to be seated. If a customers decides not to pay for a dessert just because she did not like it that is a customer preference and down to personal taste as I stated when she complained if there was something wrong with it I would not have charged for it. We have recently changed our menu as this is a new item it has proved to be very popular with other customers and have not had any other complaints about it. It did not help when after these customers had left other diners told me they were laughing and joking saying they were going to get money off as they were not happy. If a customer has a geniune problem we will rectify it if we can but we will not take money off if they purely just did not like the taste. We offer a choice of cream and if this particular customer wanted a specific type of cream they should have asked about this when ordering. It is unusual that customers order starters, desserts and side order all at once but we were happy to accommodate them and they did not wait long for their meals. They also stated that the service was better in the Bryncoch Inn which they say they go to regularly. Contrary to the customers complaints we were busy serving customers in the bar as well as in the restaurant. Unfortunately there are people that would like to destroy our reputation which we have worked extremely hard to achieve but most people visiting Trip Advisor normally form their own opinion by reading all reviews on the site. There was nothing I could have said to please this particular customer in this instance apart from taking money off which I was not prepared to do in this instance. The customer stated there was no-one around in the restaurant to complain to during their meal which is not correct as I serving food to other customers near them and so was my staff member when they could have called one of us over to explain the situation at any time instead of waiting till the end of the meal to complain. On this occasion this particular customer was not happy with her experience and unfortunately in this industry we cannot please all customers all of the time. We have many other customers who compliment us on our service, quality food and warm welcome which is much appreciated.
wales
“Great Food Great Place”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We go to the Lamb and Flag say once a month Yvonne the Landlady always gives you a good welcome aright the food is not cheep but its always good we have never had a bad meal or had to complain about anything I would Recommend this Pub and its Food to anyone

• Visited December 2012
Prescot, United Kingdom
“Another excellent night out.”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Visited the Lamb & Flag Inn Restaurant for a meal with friends over the Christmas and New Year period. Had my usual Welsh Black Steak, cooked to perfection again. One of our party had the Belly Pork which also looked delicious, all the meals came piping hot with excellent side dishes of chips, potatoes and vegetables. Lovely atmosphere with Christmas music playing in the background. Our meals were served with not too long to wait, even though it was quite a busy night. The staff are so pleasant and very efficient, great customer service all round.

Good choice of menu, with something to suit everyone, reasonably priced, great value for money.
Looking forward to our next visit.

• Visited December 2012
Wales
“average and overpriced”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

After been recommended by friends we decided to give it a go and were dissapointed, the food is nothing special and i wouldn't say cooked by a qualified chef, maybe he is but the food was so average i wouldn't have thought so. Our meal cost us over £50 which was a lot as we could have had better food at the sizzler up the road for half the price which isn't the type of food we like to go out and have, for that price i would like nice dining experince. Not horrible food but average.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank WelshFunFam
vonnyBryncoch, Manager at The Lamb & Flag Inn, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
I am disappointed by your review and you thought our meals served were average and overpriced and your comment about the chef. I can confirm that the chef is qualified and has been a chef for over 15 years and has worked in various establishments in the immediate area and beyond and has gained a good reputation for serving quality food whether pub grub or more imaginate dishes which we creates himeself. I notice that you visited us in September so am not sure why you are now only posting a review in January many months later? You did not mention what meals you were served and I (along with a lot of our regular customers) do not believe that our food is overpriced I believe it is value for money for the quality of ingredients that we use. Yes you might be able to get a similar meal for cheaper in the Sizzling Chain Pub down the road (but not the same) as our meals are all cooked fresh and to order and are not pre-packed items which they cook. What we offer foodwise is different to the Sizzler Chain. We are a small family run pub and restaurant who offer homemade food at a good price. I would ask customers to book a table with us and judge for yourself.
Thank you, Mrs Powell, Landlady.