“Very good traditional Sunday roast lunch.”
Review of The Old Ferry Inn

The Old Ferry Inn
The Old Ferry Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Beachley B&B and Inns
Chepstow, United Kingdom
“Very good traditional Sunday roast lunch.”
Reviewed April 1, 2012

The restaurant area was almost full when we arrived at 12:15 today - a lovely sunny Sunday, great views to be had across the river Servern to England and SE under the old Severn bridge towards the Bristol Channel.
There were 5 starters available, then the roasts offered were beef, pork or chicken with 2 or 3 large roast potatoes, gravy, Yorkshire pud and small ball of stuffing. The other vegs were served separately (carrots, peas, broccoli, cauli, cabbage) with an extra sauceboat of gravy - £8.50 (Children's portions £6.50). There was also a vegetarian option and about 5 other alternative meals (e.g. sausages, fish & chips, minted lamb shank). 6 dessert choices - £4.50.
Service was good and friendly. The pub is also "dog-friendly" and there's a pleasant (but not large) garden area.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Castlerock, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 13, 2012

Arrived with no pre conceived ideas but had read web description as a pub and restaurant with rooms.Recieved a very warm welcome from owner and manager (Murray) who took a keen interest in us all weekend and spent time chatting and forging a friendship.Together with his family we could not have been better looked after and no request presented any problems to them.The menu was extensive and had some delightful and unusual dishes--excellent food!!
Rooms are basic but very adequate Bar/restaurant has lovely views of Severn River and bridge and two warming wood burning stoves.Excellent value also!The experience was very much home from home--I have stayed in many upmarket hotels that can not match this relaxing homely experience-a hidden gem with lots of interesting history--was sorry to leave--Many Thanks to you all.
Best Wishes
Dessie

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Cinderford, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 20, 2011

We booked a table for six at the Old Ferry Inn to celebrate four birthdays on Saturday 19th November. From the moment we arrived we were made to feel like old friends (Thanks for the 'magic guinness'!!). The atmosphere was warm and welcoming with a lovely log fire burning. The landlord had reserved us a table by the window and had put up a birthday banner for us.
The food was outstanding. I had sea bass which was cooked to perfection and, according to the other members of the party, so were the steaks, the lamb shank (the meat just fell off the bone) and the local wild boar sausages.
The service was great too, we were asked if everything was alright for us and then we were left alone and not constantly bothered. Plates were cleared quickly and we were made to feel special. The menus were well presented in binders and a well written (and legible) specials board.
We will definately go back for more!
Thank you Old Ferry Inn for making us so welcome and feeding us so well!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Christine_Chandler
kent
Reviewed September 19, 2011

Every year I attend a Beachley Old Boys Association event in Chepstow Gwent. This entails a dinner dance on sat evening which normally finishes between 12.30 and 1am. I have stayed at the Old Ferry Inn quite a few times and the landlord knows this event, but when I arrived back at 1.15am (the dance being 7 miles away) the door was locked. I knocked and banged on the door for half an hour while the dogs inside were barking furiously, of which I found later woke most of the guests. With no other option I had to sleep in my car. Cold and uncomfortable, at 76 I have still not recovered. When I confronted the landlord the next morning the best he had was a curt excuse that he had not heard the dogs and was unaware of the late night. otherwize he was uncaring and rude. I might have forgiven the situation if he had been at all sorry. If you are thinking of staying here please be wary, but if I were you, and personally, I would give it a wide birth. It just isn't that good to be treated that badly.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank susan s
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 18, 2011

Took my family here for the first time in 20 years, the view was just as impressive but the empty car park should have rung alarm bells. The quality of the food as the heading suggest is reminiscent of bad school dinners, the menu (scrawled hand written sheet of A4 paper) was in fairness reasonable priced and the portions ample, but the loud 'background' music made conversation difficult. Wine was truly disgusting, so bad that we left most of the bottle, not that anyone noticed as at no time were we asked if everything was ok. I think I will leave it a little longer than 20 years before I go back

Room Tip: Suggest you look elsewhere, but failing that river view rooms are the better
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Bristol_Travel
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 7, 2011

The quality of the food served was excellent - the views stunning. The prawns for the starter were excellent, and the chicken in stilton and walnut sauce was delicious! The views over the river Severn are stunning.
We only ate there, so cannot comment on accommodation, but I will certainly return for food!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Magicwelshwizard
Andover
Reviewed August 9, 2011

I was given a very fiendly and warm greating by the owners, who could not do enough for me during my stay, the food was fantastic and a wide variety on the menu and specials boards.The room was very pleasantly decorated and the grounds beautifully maintained.The owners have kept alot of the lovely old features in the hotel and it was an absolute pleasure to sit in one of the large windows to eat and look at the amazing views.I was made to feel completely at home during my stay and would advise this place to any and all.wonderful!

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view of the bridge/river.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank nickynoo88

Been to The Old Ferry Inn? Share your experiences!