“Lovely place to stay and eat”

The Newbridge on Usk
Ranked #1 of 1 Tredunnock B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 13, 2013

We stay in the area one night a week normally at the Celtic manor or the St pierre.
Having eaten here before we decided to give it a try.
We had the four poster room as it was the largest bed.a beautiful room .warm and comfortable and very well appointed .
The staff were very attentive and the roaring fire was lit in the bar.
Supper was amazing .after Brixham scallops we share a Beef board.there was beef fillet ,shin pie ,beef cheek and a corned beef rissoles
It was truly sublime ,
Breakfast was good with a nice view of the river.
Can't wait to stay again

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank neilmaxbartholomew
There are newer reviews for The Newbridge on Usk

Reviewed November 5, 2013

The Newbridge on Usk had always enjoyed a reputation as real gastro pub and was a destination that people would travel to for the food. Therefore I was excited to go and stay to see what the Celtic Manor had done by adding rooms and focusing on building the restaurant side of the business.

The 6 rooms are located in a block in the car park and when inside they are impressive, an unusual mix of contemporary and country decor including oak floors, roll top baths and quality toiletries. The rooms are a good size, extremely clean and make for a pleasant stay. The only downside is the small TV and wooden floors that can create noise above. The windows are small and there aren't any real views to enjoy. Overall the rooms are cosy and make for a nice country stay.

The restaurant and bar is 30 seconds always and is a proper old country pub that has been converted into a restaurant. It has 2 AA rosettes and the food is simply stunning. All 3 courses were imaginative and cooked and presented with flair. I had a pumpkin veloute with goats cheese to start, with a vegetable pithivier for main and a deconstructed cheesecake for desert. My wife tried the sea bass and truffles and tastes of lemon for desert. I t was one of the best meals we had enjoyed for years and I couldn't praise it enough. Service was good and with a bottle of wine came to £100. Despite the storm outside and the quite location it was busy which says a lot for the food.

After a good nights sleep we returned for breakfast expecting a real treat. Unfortunately it was a shocker. On arrival we were seated without menus or instruction. We found the self service element which only had yogurts, cereal and juice. The orange juice was empty and stayed that way for half an hour, they had forgotten to put bowls out for the cereal and the pastries and fruit that should have been there was never supplied. Toast arrived 10 minutes later and was stone cold. After 20 minutes we were given a menu and we ordered 1 eggs benedict and a porridge. This took 35 minutes to come and was decidedly average; the eggs benedict had started to congeal from being under a hot plate. How you can get breakfast so wrong with only 6 rooms and two waitresses is beyond me.

The breakfast was a real shame after such a lovely evening and does create doubts as to whether we would stay again. Although we will definitely go back for dinner!

Overall a nice place and a good addition to the Celtic Manor. The complementary cars that ferry people between the resort and the Newbridge make it accessible to a lot more people.

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs room
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jon C
Reviewed November 4, 2013

The setting is beautiful and the quality of food is very good.

Unfortunately, the service was non existent.

I had to ask for menu's, I had to ask to order, I had to ask for menus for desert, I had to ask for more drinks when the table was full of empty glasses and whilst I have no issue pouring my own wine, I became the sommelier as no waiter/waitress ever refilled the wine glasses.

I never thought a lack of service was ruin a evening quite as much as it did.

Very disappointing.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I was fortunate enough to have been invited to a Birthday Celebration at the Newbridge.
The service and attention to detail was absolutely excellent from the moment I arrived until our time of departure.
The food was of a very high standard and very well presented by highly trained Staff.
The lunch compared very favourably with that on my recent Queen Mary 2 cruise!!
Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Did not stay- only had lunch.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank EDDY W
Reviewed August 22, 2013

My partner and I went for a meal at the Newbridge on Usk last Friday, we have been before and it has been excellent. However, this time we were sat upstairs (which is great) and the manager took our drinks order, we were served the wrong drinks twice, and between taking the drinks back and getting new ones, there was at least a 15 min wait each time. A couple sat next to us & were clearly regulars as they were served food, bread and their drinks immediately, when we had not even been served the right drinks yet. Not a lot of choice on the menu, and we had been sat down for an hour while everyone else was being served, before we were asked what we wanted. The waitresses were lovely and very accommodating, and I understood that they were the only two upstairs, so it may have been hard to keep up with all the orders, but it was not a very good experience for us.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We had been due to stay at the main Celtic Manor site (Manor House), but due to an over-run of refurbishment work, we were asked by Reservations to move our booking to the Celtic Manor sister hotel, Newbridge on Usk. With the offer of a complimentary dinner to cover any inconvenience, we were happy to accept the change and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The hotel is situated in a lovely rural spot, with splendid views. Attentive staff in the restaurant, which essentially takes up the main building. Good menu. Bedrooms are located in an adjacent block, which some might find a little odd, but our room was beautifully furnished.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 1, 2013

A perfect Summer's evening was enjoyed as we sat by the river in the sun terrace to the rear of this delightful building. The service was superb and the food was delcious. As always; the rooms were spotlessly clean, warm, inviting and oozing with deliberate charm. I would highly recommend this gorgeous place to everyone.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tredunnock
Glen-yr-Afon House Hotel
The Priory Hotel & Restaurant
The Manor House at Celtic Manor
Ramada Resort Cwrt Bleddyn Hotel & Spa
Coldra Court Hotel
Coldra Court Hotel
#2 of 2 in Langstone
The Parkway Hotel & Spa

Been to The Newbridge on Usk? Share your experiences!