“great food and decor...but no waiter/waitress service.....”

and 1 more site!
The Newbridge on Usk
Ranked #1 of 1 Tredunnock B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“great food and decor...but no waiter/waitress service.....”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

The setting is beautiful and the quality of food is very good.

Unfortunately, the service was non existent.

I had to ask for menu's, I had to ask to order, I had to ask for menus for desert, I had to ask for more drinks when the table was full of empty glasses and whilst I have no issue pouring my own wine, I became the sommelier as no waiter/waitress ever refilled the wine glasses.

I never thought a lack of service was ruin a evening quite as much as it did.

Very disappointing.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I was fortunate enough to have been invited to a Birthday Celebration at the Newbridge.
The service and attention to detail was absolutely excellent from the moment I arrived until our time of departure.
The food was of a very high standard and very well presented by highly trained Staff.
The lunch compared very favourably with that on my recent Queen Mary 2 cruise!!
Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Did not stay- only had lunch.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank EDDY W
Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 22, 2013

My partner and I went for a meal at the Newbridge on Usk last Friday, we have been before and it has been excellent. However, this time we were sat upstairs (which is great) and the manager took our drinks order, we were served the wrong drinks twice, and between taking the drinks back and getting new ones, there was at least a 15 min wait each time. A couple sat next to us & were clearly regulars as they were served food, bread and their drinks immediately, when we had not even been served the right drinks yet. Not a lot of choice on the menu, and we had been sat down for an hour while everyone else was being served, before we were asked what we wanted. The waitresses were lovely and very accommodating, and I understood that they were the only two upstairs, so it may have been hard to keep up with all the orders, but it was not a very good experience for us.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Ringwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We had been due to stay at the main Celtic Manor site (Manor House), but due to an over-run of refurbishment work, we were asked by Reservations to move our booking to the Celtic Manor sister hotel, Newbridge on Usk. With the offer of a complimentary dinner to cover any inconvenience, we were happy to accept the change and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The hotel is situated in a lovely rural spot, with splendid views. Attentive staff in the restaurant, which essentially takes up the main building. Good menu. Bedrooms are located in an adjacent block, which some might find a little odd, but our room was beautifully furnished.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2013

A perfect Summer's evening was enjoyed as we sat by the river in the sun terrace to the rear of this delightful building. The service was superb and the food was delcious. As always; the rooms were spotlessly clean, warm, inviting and oozing with deliberate charm. I would highly recommend this gorgeous place to everyone.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Wales
Reviewed June 14, 2013

We stayed here to celebrate my husband’s birthday using a Celtic Manor Gift Voucher. We didn’t realise that check in time wasn’t until 4pm and arrived around 2:30 so the room wasn’t ready. This didn’t bother us too much as we had booked to have Sunday lunch and they were happy for us dine straight away.

The Sunday lunch was lovely, not a lot of choice but the variety should suit most. The Severn and Wye smoked salmon starter was particularly nice. We had the nicest seat overlooking the river so it was a very pleasant dining experience. I would recommend the Sunday lunch as it is reasonably priced for a more upmarket meal.

After dining our room was ready. I wasn’t particularly impressed by the room, because it’s probably just not my taste. But it was clean, tidy and had all the usual things, although there was a great big cupboard containing a tiny TV which looked out of place. Also finding a suitable plug for the kettle was difficult. The beds were comfortable, but as we were on the ground floor the creaking floorboards and footsteps of the guests above were annoying. It’s amazing how much some people can walk around a small room! I was also surprised at how much the traffic on the A449 could be heard considering it’s quite a distance away.

Anyway we both slept well after the creaking above ceased. Breakfast was very nice and it was a change to be served rather than the usual hot buffet. We then headed to the Celtic Manor to enjoy the leisure facilities and topped the celebration off with afternoon tea, where once again that delicious Severn and Wye smoked salmon was served in a mini bagel.

A lovely relaxing break, great venue if you want to get away from it all.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

In December I wrote a review following a visit to the Newbridge on Usk and couldn't have been happier with our stay. With the previous stay being so lovely I couldn't wait to take my husband there. I decided to book the four poster room in the Newbridge on Usk with dinner for my husband's birthday. A week prior to the visit the Celtic Manor emailed me to make me aware of their leisure facilities etc, I phoned to ask if it was possible to have robes and slippers in the room. I was told that housekeeping would be informed and it would be arranged. When we arrived at the Newbridge on Usk I found that this hadn't been organised. We made dinner reservations for 7.30pm and were both looking forward to dinner. On my previous visit (for my Mum's birthday) we were given champagne at dinner and Mum was given a little box of chocolates, this wasn't the case on this visit. Again, on the previous visit we were also able to chose any dish from the menu as part of the dinner package.
When we were given the menus under some of the choices were supplement charges for guests on the B&B& dinner package and each side dish (chips, vegetables etc) also had a £3.95 supplement charge! My husband's main course had a supplement charge of £15!
The dinner was average and the additional supplements made me lose my appetite!
We both ordered dessert which took 20minutes and we only had our desserts after drawing the waitresses' attention to our wait. We left the restaurant fed up!

The four poster room is beautifully decorated, clean and very comfortable.
Breakfast was very nice and the waiter during breakfast was attentive and polite.

When I checked out, I was shocked to see that with the supplements charged and drinks with our meal the bill was £51, this was on top of the £217 I had already paid for the B&B& dinner package.
Since my visit in December I recommended the Newbridge on Usk to friends, family and colleagues, this isn't the case anymore. I feel really disappointed that things have changed so much in a few months. If I had been informed of the changes to the package when I was booking then at least I could have made a decision to continue with the booking or not. I really wished I had booked another hotel for this special occasion. I expect five star establishments to be excellent, on this occasion, the Newbridge on Usk certainly didn't live up to my expectations.

Very overpriced and I left feeling very disappointed. I will not be visiting again.

• Stayed May 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tredunnock
Glen-yr-Afon House Hotel
Ramada Resort Cwrt Bleddyn Hotel & Spa
The Priory Hotel & Restaurant
The Manor House at Celtic Manor
Coldra Court Hotel
Coldra Court Hotel
#2 of 2 in Langstone
The Parkway Hotel & Spa

Been to The Newbridge on Usk? Share your experiences!