“Interesting food combinations”

Ranked #1 of 1 Tredunnock B&B and Inns
Wales
“Interesting food combinations”
Reviewed January 30, 2012

When we left home we had no intention of going here. However when my other half didn’t want to go to the place I had picked, we decided to head for Tredunnock. Well to say this is miles away from anywhere is almost an understatement – it has a Usk postcode but is quite a distance from the town itself.
When we arrived it was very quiet – only 2 others seemed to be present, however we were well received by the young lady who appeared in charge. We were shown to the lounge area offered drinks and the menu and after a while others arrived but it was not busy.
Obviously the place has had a lot spent on it and no doubt it is busier in the evenings especially when the rooms are also taken.
The menu had lots of interesting choices and combinations; it was really difficult to choose because I wanted to try everything!!! There were also a couple of sharing starters which is unusual to see of a menu of this class.
We were given a window table with views over the river – yes the view itself was worth the visit.
For starters I had Salmon Three Ways (Homecured treacle salmon, salmon rillettes and smokehouse salmon with a soft boiled quails egg in the middle – this was served similar to a scotch egg) – this indeed was excellent. Chrissy had the Mushroom and White Truffle Risotto which was also very good.
Main course – well there were dishes from the land or sea or the land and sea mixed together as well as from the Charcoal Grill. We choose to share the Cote de Boeuf. Again this dish you do not see very often. It was served with VERY BIG CHIPS (wow!!!!) half a tomato, large mushroom and we ordered Béarnaise Sauce as extra. This was really great and there were even to many chips for me!!!
Dessert – well we were not going to have a dessert because we were full. Oh how weak we are but I am so pleased I was weak – I had the Chocolate Temptation which is served with warm chocolate sauce – goodness knows how many calories it was but it was to die for!!! Chrissy has the Pineapple Refresher which she enjoyed very much but in the end it was too much for her and not even I could finish her dessert.
When we departed there were about 12 others there – shame not busier for a Saturday lunchtime.
The food was excellent, the service was excellent the location was excellent, what more could one ask for?
Well, it could be nearer to home and a little nearer to home but I guess you cannot have everything!!! What a great find.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mike S

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
UK
Reviewed January 16, 2012

My husband and I had a great weekend here. The staff throughout our stay.m, both in the Newbridge and the Celtic Manor, were so friendly and extremely helpful.

The main plus for us was the quality of the evening meal included in the package we'd booked. Dinner exceeded our expectations each night.

Our room was very nice. However, it probably was a little on the small size. It was also a bit stuffy and, as mentioned by someone else, the pillows uncomfortable. However, these are small points and overall it was nicely decorated and well equipped. Also helped being able to park right outside. A convenience you wouldn't get in a larger hotel.

The location of the Newbridge is idyllic. Our first morning we awoke to a heavy frost and watching the swans on the river whilst eating breakfast was beautiful.

Provided you take the correct route, the Newbridge is very close to the Celtic Manor. It was great being able to use the facilities there and a good place to go for lunch (if want light go to the Forum cafe downstairs).

Breakfast was good but we did feel the buffet options were lacking. The a la carte options were great and we highly recommend the homemade porridge (though we didn't have the accompanying whiskey shot!). However, the buffet would have benefitted from some more exciting fruit options and maybe some homemade granola.

Overall an excellent stay and we'll definitely be back, especially for the food!

• Stayed January 2012
Stroud, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 6, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Newbridge on Usk as part of the 'winter warmers' promotion they have during their off peak season. The whole experience was fantastic. After a day walking in the Brecon beacons we arrived to find the most beautiful and luxurious room with four poster bed and grand design style bathroom. All clean and beautifully kept. We then enjoyed the most delicious meal from a varied and beautifully cooked and presented menu. At breakfast we sat next to the large window overlooking the river and hills beyond. Then we went on to enjoy the spa at the Celtic manor hotel a short drive down the road and all included in the package. The whole trip couldn't have been more relaxing and rejuvenating. The staff were all friendly, polite and attentive and the facilities were luxurious. If you want a really relaxing treat at great value, I can't recommend it highly enough. We have already booked to go back!

Room Tip: Four poster room is beautiful and spacious with fantastic bathroom.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Chepstow, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 2, 2012

We stayed at the Newbridge on Usk on 30th and 31st December and had an excellent time.

- All the staff were excellent and their attention to detail was superb. The manager runs a fantastic team really well. Thank you.
- The food and wine was fantastic - Both the al a carte menu on the 30th and the set New Years Eve menu. Good quality food, perfectly cooked without being pretentious. Meat and fish dishes equally nice.
- The room, situated beside the main building, was spotless with a large bed and good linen. Great bathroom with a free standing shower.

A great place in South Wales.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Wales
Reviewed December 19, 2011

We stayed as a couple on a Sunday DBB basis deal. The purpose of our visit was to meet our friends who also stayed.
The location is idyllic, perfectly isolated next to the river in a beautiful valley. Plenty of free parking spaces and wifi on site.
All the staff at the hotel were extremely polite and helpful.
The standard room was warm, well fitted to a high spec although the tv was a little small. The powerful shower was fitted into a bath with a circular shower curtain. The bed was firm with conjoined bases which did not effect our sleep pattern.
The food was exquisite from an excellent menu. It was of a high standard in presentation and quality. This applied equally to both dinner and breakfast. Service was professional and attentive without being intrusive.
The bar prices equal that of any hotel. The open fire and leather seating in the bar area was very relaxing. There were a number of private areas for us to sit and chat. The bar remained available to us until we were ready to retire.
We all enjoyed the ambience of our stay and will definitely return.
Thanks

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TouristsWales
Reviewed December 14, 2011

We booked this via the Celtic manor hotel as a dinner bed and breakfast deal for a Sunday night rollover. After a day at the spa we arrived at our hotel to such a romantic room which was so quaint with oak furniture and lovely bathroom with it's roll top bath. The service from the staff was excellent and the food was the best I have eaten at any of the reataurants at the celtic manor. One word outstanding !! After some drinks we decided to relax in our room. We were woken at 11.30 pm by a loud noise which sounded like plumbing issues . We went back to sleep but unfortunately we were once again woken by this noise at 6.30am after planning a lie in which is something we don't often get to enyoy with busineses and small children!! The beds are spacious bug beware they are very uncomfortable . I actually ached the following morning. Same can be said about the pillows.. I reported this to the deputy manager and I am still awaiting response to my complaint . It was a real shame as Everyting else was wonderful. Excellent food and location but left un rested and tired :-((

• Stayed December 2011
Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Reviewed December 12, 2011

I mist admit over the years I have been here through the different owners, starting back in the late nintyies when it was an exceptional dining experience!

This time I was most pleasantly surprised, I took my girlfriend here to show her some of the beautiful welsh countryside and thought I would get a room here and it couldn't have been better.

We took the four poster room which isn't huge but very nicely done I was amazed to see the food (3 courses and breakfast) was included in this very reasonable price.

We were treated exceptionally well and werent rushed about the place, we had a drink in front of the fire and relaxed before being led to our table which overlooked the beautiful river and bridge had a very good 3 course meal (just a little above pub food standard) and a very nice bottle or 2 of wine (not the house) staff were very nice and the breakfast was fantastic but then I haven't had a full English in some time.

All in all a wonderful stay at this b&b and they really are not trying to be something they arnt. It's just a shame it's no longer private and now part of the Celtic manor group (when booking a room here you can also use the fasciitis in the large Celtic manor hotel)

The next time I am back in the uk I will be doin my upmost to stay here again!

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank FoodieWoody
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tredunnock
Ramada Resort Cwrt Bleddyn Hotel & Spa
Glen-yr-Afon House Hotel
The Priory Hotel & Restaurant
The Manor House at Celtic Manor
Coldra Court Hotel
Coldra Court Hotel
#2 of 2 in Langstone
The Parkway Hotel & Spa

Been to The Newbridge on Usk? Share your experiences!