“Don't miss out!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Llangattock Lingoed
The Hunters Moon Inn
Abergavenny, United Kingdom
“Don't miss out!”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

We went a couple of weeks ago for Sunday lunch - fantastic! We live in the area and have tried many, many places for Sunday lunch - this is as good as we've found (in 20 years). The price is very reasonable with more than I could eat although it was a shame to waste such lovely food. We have booked again for this Sunday and will, no doubt be eating there for a good while to come!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Paul_Abergavenny

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
London
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Following a visitors book recommendation, we stopped off at the Hunters Moon hoping to try their Sunday lunch menu. Unfortunately they were fully booked - our own fault as we hadn't reserved a table - so we opted for a fabulous pint of Wye Valley ale instead. Having checked with the his brother, the chef, the co-owner suggested returning later that afternoon to have a meal, and we were so glad we did. Friendly welcome, great beer and lovely home cooked food all served up with a warm, cheerful smile. We loved it! The new owners have only been on board for 5 months or so, but the effort they have put in to win friends and influence people is evident. Definitely worth a visit.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HESLondon
Pontypool, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 23, 2013

I moved to the area in May this year and this pub has quickly become my new local. The new owners are great! The food is amazing. All home cooked, nothing pinged in a microwave and every effort has been made to source local produce. Yesterday we went for lunch and ordered off the bar menu.I had home made chilli which was just delicious.My Partner and friend had thick cut off the bone ham with eggs and fries and my other friend had sausage and mash. The sausages are HUGE! The portions are just great, no skimping on them.
The puds are in a different league, we had treacle tart with custard and the now infamous Granny beryls hazelnut and raspberry meringue. Now we know why it is infamous! Don't take my word for it, book a table now and try it!
Christmas menus have been sorted and we are booking our Christmas party there.
I love this place and so glad it is my local.

Room Tip: Perfect place to stop over and eat if you are walking the Offas Dyke
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Intothebleach
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 29, 2013

I see Granny Beryl's hazelnut and raspberry meringue is already famous in other reviews of this great pub. I hear she's moving on to Bread and Butter pudding - I bet it's fantastic like everything else about this charming pub: the setting, the atmosphere and the beer....

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed September 25, 2013

The pub dates back to 1207, according to the carving in the stone. And t fully enjoy this gem of a pub and its beautiful setting, you need to be told the story of the new owners, which I heard from one of the locals (the friendliest bunch I have ever encountered). It's run by two brothers. One brother behind the bar, one brother in the kitchen. And their mum (Granny Beryl), making the puddings and running the books. I visited with my parents, and we had a lovely time, enjoying an evening meal, a drink until well into the night, and then a lunch the next day.

High spots: Really good beer - excellent Doom Bar. Superb steak (the rib eye, from a farm within a mile or two) was mouthwatering. Red DragonSausages, according to the menu from local butcher were awesome. Fresh veg, all well presented.

But you really have to try Granny Beryl's Raspberry and Hazelnut Meringue. Best desert I've tasted for years.

Highly recommended, and I wish the new owners the best.

We stayed at the lovely Old Rectory, just 200m up the hill.

Tip for drivers: The postcode of the pub did not work in my BMW satnav, which also did not register the road. My tip is to head for Llangattock Lingoed from Abergavenny. You'll find the roadsign to it, then you just have to trust the road to get you there. After 10 minutes, which is about the time you are giving up hope, you come across the pub. It's really in the middle of nowhere, which is part of its charm.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dartmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I have known this pub for 36 years , it is a charming spot, but has had good and not so good owners over recent years and the quality of the food offering has been variable. It changed hands recently and after reading Trip Advisor reviews we decided to have supper there and see for ourselves. We were warmly welcomed by barman Nigel and chose a bottle of white wine which we started on whilst we looked at the menu. We were then shown through to the dining room, pretty enough but oddly lit with low energy light bulbs that are way too big for the light shades! Our starter was, I suspect, straight from the freezer duck spring rolls, served with what I also suspect was a bottled sweet chilli sauce and some rather limp rocket. My main course was perfectly cooked sole, served with rice and salad and my partner enjoyed a nicely cooked sirloin, served with a recommended pepper sauce that he greatly enjoyed. The triumph of the meal, however, was a hazelnut meringue and fresh raspberry gateau which was in a class by itself - utterly delicious, we will return for that alone! Good to be offered a decent Petit Chablis too. Bill, without tip, was £77. If Trip Advisor had a rating between average and very good, then that's where this pub would sit for me. We wish the new owners success.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 13, 2013

The Hunter's Moon Inn is a little gem. It is beautifully decorated and has a great atmosphere. The landlord and staff are extremely friendly. Just off of the Offa's Dyke path this is a superb pub to visit. Arriving late, after walking 34 miles, the landlady cooked us a fantastic roast beef meal. With the beef came some fairly unusual vegetables that were also delicious. We stayed at the nearby Old Rectory Guest House which is also 5*

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Hunters Moon Inn? Share your experiences!