“Only eat here if you have all day...”
Review of The Clytha Arms

The Clytha Arms
and 1 more site!
The Clytha Arms
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Clytha
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I visited the Clytha Arms this evening for my 22nd birthday with my fiancé and parents and I can't find a word strong enough to describe my disappointment.
We arrived at 7.15pm in order to be at our table which was booked for 7.30pm, we were asked to take a seat at the bar to wait for our table, we assumed the restaurant was full at the time and we were waiting for a table to become available. No less than 45 minutes later we were finally shown to our table, which was settled in a small but- to our surprise- half empty restaurant.
After ordering our food it then took another 30 minutes to receive our starters, one of which was served to us 10 minutes after the other three. The starters were an acceptable standard but no where near the value of the price listed on the menu.
At this point in our meal we had still not been offered any drinks.
The main course arrived shortly after we finished our starters and were a worse standard than we could of imagined. My mothers meal was too cold to eat, my steak, which was supposed to be medium, came to me bloody and rare, and my fathers curry- although looked very presentable- was missing the Crey fish he had ordered with it.
To top the evening off the service we received would make a snail look fast, and the customer service we received would only be adequate in a soup kitchen.
The restaurant gave us discount due to our complaints but I can certainly say none of us will ever be returning to eat at this restaurant, and I wouldn't recommend the restaurant to my worst enemy. If you're looking for a decent meal and at a price that reflects the quality of the meal, my advise to you is to eat somewhere else.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Adam A

Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

If your a lover of real ales and ciders then this is a must visit!

My wife, neighbours and I always make our way to the Clytha for the cider festival and also the beer festival.

Little disappointed this year that the ale festival was cancelled but we still enjoyed the band, atmosphere and beers.

On the downside the dog poo around the children's play area and beer garden is a real let down.

Wasps are also a nuisance but not quite in the control of the management.

The gents are continuously minging and there is always a wet floor.

Back on the upside, everyone is friendly and chillaxed, but please, please please pick up the dog poo and bring back the beer festival!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

Dogs rule and humans come close after but we liked it that way with our two Labradors! Yes it's. little tired and closer attention to cleanliness would make this place exceptional but as a dog friendly pub we felt really comfortable and welcomed. Food was excellent but a little pricey! £15 for one course seemed a little steep. Ale selection brilliant and the pub dogs are real characters

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Had a lovely dinner sitting out in the garden. We girls arrived first and we stood at the bar chatting with the locals - for girls read a couple of middle-aged women who are more used to being invisible in a bar. When the chaps finally arrived we enjoyed great cooking and good local beer. The two bar staff who served us couldn't do enough to help, making sure we had what we wanted with smiles and charm. We will be back soon.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Visited the Clytha a few weeks ago as it was a nice summery day and we hadnt been here for a good while. We were out for a drive in the countryside and called in on the offchance and they managed to squeeze us in. It's in a beautiful peaceful location and weather permitting it's lovely to sit outside overlooking the lawned gardens. It's a proper locals pub/restaurant and they all like to bring their dogs along.We had a nice enough sunday lunch,service was good,staff friendly but I didnt particularly appreciate the overwhelming doggy smell...hadnt noticed it as much on a previous visit. This has put us off visiting again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Karen J
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Visited this week on a beautiful summers evening. The big expanse of lawns looked very welcoming to sit out on but beware, the grass is covered with dog poo. You have to really watch where you tread all the time, not the place where you can let the kids run around. The bar has a great range of real ales and local ciders, it's a wonderful place for the real ale enthusiast. The food is pretty good also but the service a bit slow. But then the next problem, the floor of the gents lavatories was awash, I just hope it was only water. It is a shame as a little attention to detail and it would be a really good proper country pub.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 16, 2013

When you pull into the car park two things strike you. Horses and dogs – simple as that. The owners are horse and dog people and so are most of the regulars. Yes you will have soulful eyes watching you eat if you eat in the bar - and much licking of lips in the hope that you drop some. That is how it is here and if you are not comfortable with it then this is not the place for you.

Some reviewers have described the property as “dirty”. I think that is a little harsh – it is old, scruffy and disorganised like some eccentric antique emporium. That is what gives it character.

A number of premium ciders and lagers are on tap and CAMRA enthusiasts will gasp at the choice of real ales.

There is a very good chef in the kitchen consistently putting out top class meals, using local ingredients at a very competitive price. If you like your food – this will not disappoint. Presentation and service have little finesse – but in a horse and dog emporium it really doesn’t matter !

I rather like this place and whenever I am in the area I eat here. However, I always carry a pair of jeans in the car – they don’t show the dog hair !

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Clytha Arms? Share your experiences!