“Great Atmosphere great beer great food”
Review of The Clytha Arms

The Clytha Arms
and 1 more site!
The Clytha Arms
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Clytha
Reviewed August 22, 2011

First class country pub with easy reach of Cardiff and Bristol

• Stayed: August 2011

Reviewed July 23, 2011

I often use the old Raglan Road restaurants as they're close to my home and offer a good choice of food, The Cripple Creek, The King of Prussia and the Hardwick. I'd never tried the Clytha Arms and went there hoping for a nice intimate meal with my wife. We looked at the menu online first and it looked promising, so we booked.

On arrival the pub looked crowded from the amount of cars in the car park but it wasn't too bad inside and only took a few minutes to get tot he bar and order a couple of drinks. The bar was well stocked and the girl behind the bar was friendly...so far so good.

We decided to go straight through to the restaurant area and order our food there, this is where things went downhill!

The decor of the eating area was bland and almost a hospitalesque drab paint job. We sat towards the rear of the dining area and were treated to wafts of smoke coming from the kitchen every time someone came through the serving doors...we found out why later. We were by a shelf area full of glasses and my wife had to shift forward several times to allow the waiting staff to get glasses or carafes from behind her, not exactly a sensible layout.

We ordered, I had queen scallops and my wife the seafood soup to start and fillet of beef in pastry for main. The order was taken within about 5 mins of us sitting down and we were told that someone would be bringing bread out. 20 mins later this arrived, the restaurant really wan't that busy, probably about another 3 tables worth in our area and the service was very slow. friendly enough but treacle speed.

The waitress seemed to have not bothered with a belt and her thong was clearly visible....all round, back, front, and the sides... I wanted to tell her to pull her trousers up! She's NOT Cheryl Cole!!

The starters arrived after around 40miutes and the while well presented my scallops were miniscule. I had 6 - 20p size overcooked scallops under a burnt cheese gratin...for £8.50!!!! This was when I realised the reason for the constant fug of smoke coming into the dining area. The chef had obviously left his catering blowtorch at home and was using an arc welder on the food instead. The Scallops were chewy and not at all worth the huge price for them, especially considering the state of the cremated gratin. My Wife's soup was fine and she enjoyed that.

We hadn't been asked or shown any wine menu and before the main course arrived ( about 25mins after we'd finished the starters), my wife asked for a glass of red wine. When this arrived the level of the wine was about 2 inches below the lip of the SMALL glass and the waitress still managed to spill about a quarter of it down the side of the glass and over the tablecloth as she set it down, no apology or top up just drop and go!

The main course arrived and we had also had to order our veg and potatoes seperately as they weren't included in the £19.95 per plate and cost £3.00 per item. We ordered saute potatoes and seasonal veg. The saute spuds were clearly a few new potatoes cut in half and shallow fried for a couple of minutes, definately NOT saute potatoes as I've ever known and the seasonal veg was a few hugely overcooked, soggy courgettes, some bland cabbage and....a pile of new potatoes! Why, when we'd ordered potatoes seperately would they think we'd want another pile? Couldn't we have had a few carrots?

The fillet in pastry was like someone had wrapped a perfectly good bit of fillet steak in a couple of pieces of tissue paper, allowing the inner one go go completely soggy and merge with the (gritty!!) scrape of pate on the steak and the outer was, again, subject to the arc welder and burnt to a charcoally crisp.

The menu was clearly a case of the reach exceeding the grasp of the chef. Far better to do something simple and well, than fancy and (very) badly. The cost of the food was high end for a pub and I expected much better than I got.

I didn't even bother asking to see the dessert menu as it'd probably have been £10 for burnt ice cream.

None of the ingredients warranted the cost. The preparation was amateurish (to be generous) and the serice was slow, inattentive and the atmosphere...zero!

I'm not a person who has unrealistic standards at all. The King of Prussia, just up the road does it a hundred times better, a bit cheaper and in a dining area that doesn't look like a waiting room. They dont require you to shift every 10 mins so they can get the glasses out of the cupboard. They aslo manage to get your drink to the table intact!!!!

I will not be coming back here again, I can't understand why, if the meal and service I had was typical, that the comments on here are so good! This honestly was simply poor all round. It wasn't that busy so that cant be the excuse, it was just....over priced, badly prepared, poorly served and completely dull.

I really dont like to have to be so negative about somewhere but this £80 meal just wasn't worth it in any aspect! I've paid half as much elsewhere for significantly better food, atmosphere and service.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Jon326
Reviewed June 11, 2011

There do not seem to be many rural pubs left like The Clytha Arms - very pub-like in feel in the main bar with pub games and lots of bits and pieces around the place. Six well kept real ales plus cider on draft as well as continental lagers and an eclectic spirit range. So not gastroed at all, which is a pleasant change.

We were going to eat though and the food was very slow - about an hour - to come. This is lunchtime and the place was fairly busy, but not by any means flat out. Now I do not mind waiting for food to be prepared, but this felt too long. The food itself was pretty good, but to be fair not anything special. Better than bought in stuff, but not showing particular skills.

So a great place to go for a sociable time and some great beers (and with lots of outside space for good days too); but there are probably better places to go for eating.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank RuralPub
Reviewed April 8, 2011

The room was clean and tidy, not overly roomy but perfectly adequate. The bar was friendly with an excellent wine and whisky list, as well a very good local ales. Sitting by the wood fire in the snug was a great end to the evening, preceded by a surprisingly good meal. We had expected pub grub, but found a much more sophisticated menu, the portions would leave you disappointed if you just wanted the main, but three courses were more than enough. The staff and clientele were friendly and helpful and every much enjoyed our stay, would recommend to my mum.

• Stayed: March 2011
1  Thank Phil880801
Reviewed February 4, 2011

We took my mother in law here for a meal for her birthday. After over an hour's wait the food looked disappointing. Vegtables were cold a very poor amount on the plates considering the price we paid then to top things off one of the dogs that belong to the hotel was sniffing around the table and sat watching us eat. Would not go back here again.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank jewlee1963
Reviewed January 6, 2011

Great atmosphere, great beer, great food. Proper pub style, allthough food more than pub quality, not a plush gastro establishment with fancy decor, but perfect for the location. The rooms are OK, room 3 the best, but go there for country pub food and beer at its best.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 14, 2010

We three came here for Sunday lunch.It was good to see the dining room full.Having booked late on the Sat eve we must have been lucky to get in.The choice and quality of the starters and main were of exceptional quality.The deserts sounded lovely but we were too full to try any.We have eaten here for a long time inspite of it being well over an hours drive from our home.I ate fish today and it was just superb .My main of monk fish with crab was delicious.My husband enjoyed his v large steamed game pudding.I do wish the kitchen staff showed themselves sometimes so we could say thank you.The front of house has over the years let the place down.They were fine today but have never been very professional and on one occasion so rude and ignorant I meant to write about it but didn't.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MrsPumps

Been to The Clytha Arms? Share your experiences!