“Exceptional food, friendly service”

The Bell at Skenfrith
Ranked #1 of 1 Skenfrith B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Although we didn't stay at The Bell we were warmly welcomed throughout the weekend whether it involved a meal, a sandwich or just a beer. Service was very good offering well judged friendliness rather than being overly formal. The quality of food was superb with an interesting wine list to match. Although it had good local beers and cider The Bell is very much a restaurant with a small but comfortable bar area.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed January 14, 2013

We had a 3 day break in early January. Location- nestling by a river in a green unpopulated valley, opposite a castle and 13th century church, with walks possible from the pub. Service was excellent with any need catered for. Dinner especially the venison was superb. Local beer in the inglenook fireplace was perfect after the walk . The room with its Queen size ( possibly larger) 4 poster bed, rolltop bath and luxury bathroom was wonderful. We'll be back.

Room Tip: Room 6 was faultless and the others we took a peek at looked pretty good too
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Being lactose intollerant can be a bind, but the Bell know how to look after you, they made lactose free options to make me feel right at home. We stayed in March brown and could not fault the room or the service. Most hotels have some rinkles but the Bell is the best of the bunch. We were really well looked after and would not hesitate to stay again (as soon as possible). And last but not least, what a location....

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 5, 2013

What holds back this beautifully situated inn is the staff who did not know how to deal with our complaint of what was the worst steak I've eaten in many years. We received a shrug and some excuse. We should have been offered something to compensate - an extra desert, a brandy or anything to show willing. This left a bad impression, and one that the staff are trained up their eyeballs, but have no autonomy or flexibility to act on their own initiative.

We would have liked to have seen the owners at some point during our two day stay. Their wine list is superb, and presented with care and passion. The champagne aperitif was terrific. The
food was good, with the exception of the steak.

But until they implement truly personal service, and not just the professional and somewhat aloof service that we received, the Bell will remain just a business. I hope they change.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank robnathan2000
Reviewed December 27, 2012

We have stayed here and dined here a few times, however, the last time was pretty average.

A lovely place with excellent food reviews thats why we choose it, sadly it was not that good in fact I would go so far as to say that the Chef was on Holiday when we visited!

Hubby had a tart that was not cooked through, the service was slow and ( I do not want to seem rude here) It seemed it was the OAP lunch club outing with discount!

We stayed here a few years ago, the rooms were small but lovely for what we needed and the food was excellent, not sure what has happened as it use to be a real foodie heaven, I understand that there has been a change of chef recently but I do not know it this has a bearing on this.

Not sure how they keep the 2AA Rosette?

Shame as its setting is lovely.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BonnBouche
Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

Lovely location and suitably off the beaten track. I eat here twice in one week. The midweek meal for a business dinner was great, and nicely presented to be fair. No qualms there. And Sunday lunch was also pretty good all round here, but for some minus points: starters, bread, desserts, be prepared for very small portions i.e. a couple of bites and you're done! Mains: not enough variety for a traditional Sunday menu for my taste - pork or beef only. There was pollock or mushroom ravioli as alternatives which didn't sound particularly appealing, although I firmly believe there should be at least two vegetarian dishes on the menu. One would also expect to see a better choice of meats - lamb, and particularly this time of year - chicken or turkey on the menu, but none of this was in evidence. However, the beef, crisp vegetables, Yorkshires etc were plentiful and tasty. It was all very well prepared and presented. Could've been a little hotter, was skinny on the gravy and condiments none-existent.

But their real Achilles heel here is undoubtedly the members of staff who were slow, inattentive and disorganised. This unfortunately seems to be the curse of many rural pubs or eateries. The policy of employing in unpopulated areas means generally they are obliged to take pretty much anyone who applies for a job, due to shortage of availability of candidates. This encourages unskilled/school part-timers etc., who are invariably uneducated in the finer techniques of etiquette and people skills in a front of house situation. So yes, this failing was patently evident here.

I might come again at some point, but don 't feel it merits an immediate return or adding to the 'must visit soon' checklist. I know that there are better in the general Monmouthshire area. Pricewise, it's on the upside, not too excessive and the wines are reasonable value. Surefire 3/5.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 12, 2012

Arrived late on Friday night, having had a bad day at work and having had the journey from hell due to train failures and then motorway roadworks.

On arrival, the first person who greeted me was Jeanine ... a wonderful South African lass. She showed me to our room .... it was immaculate but I felt I was not sure of it. Nothing was too much, she showed me another room. I spoke to my husband about it. .. he had booked the room. He liked the original room ... I returned to her and explained. She was amazing. Nothing was too much. I took the orignal room. I heard a knock at the door. She was there, with a tray of drinks (just two!!!).

The food is well thought out. The flavours compliment. The size of the portions are generous without being bad for you. If you want wine, take time to speak to Rick, the Barman who knows his wine list. They have a wide selection of Brandy

The surroundings of the hotel are not for the town-lover. It is in the middle of the awesome countryside with excellent walks and a ruined castle to visit.

We went for walks over the weekend, after which we slept in front of the big, open fire and had our batteries re-charged by the team there.

They are dog (but not mud) friendly too. Wellie/walking boots can safely be left in the front reception area.

I loved my stay and am looking forward to going back again soon.

Room Tip: go on line to see the room you want. What is on the website is what you get.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Solbarca
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skenfrith
Glen-yr-Afon House Hotel
#2 of 3 in Abergavenny
Gliffaes Country House Hotel
Gliffaes Country House Hotel
#2 of 3 in Crickhowell

Been to The Bell at Skenfrith? Share your experiences!