“Excellent food and surprisingly at a reasonable price”

The Whitebrook Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Whitebrook
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Monmouth, United Kingdom
“Excellent food and surprisingly at a reasonable price”
Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

I have lived in the area for the past 10 years but never got round to visiting the Crown. I was saving my visit for a special occasion fearing the prices. When it re-opened I was determined to visit and did so with my partner and another couple. The 3 course lunch was £25 which given the quality was exceptional value. The setting is wonderful and you are greeted with two different canapés, both setting the scene for a beautiful meal. For starters I had artichoke pannacotta with slim slithers of perfectly cooked ham. The main course, I had duck, cooked to perfection with a range of flavours around the plate that really gave variety yet perfectly matching. Desert I went for the dark chocolate moose which was presented excellently and again other purée ensured this was no boring affair. My partner had the pollock which again she raved about.

Visited March 2014

S Wales
“Back as good as it was ........”
Reviewed March 23, 2014

We visited the Crown 2-3 times over the recent years most recently early last year just before it went under.

We were excited to hear it was back in action and as good as ever so visited for the wife's birthday and had the taster menu. The new owners have re-arranged it a bit (we think for the better) and it was an excellent evening.

The official taster menu was 6 courses but with the 'extras' it works out at 10 courses. The food was very good. The taster portions are small but add up and with the bread I certainly felt comfortable. We had a bottle of wine recommend by the sommelier which was both unusual and reasonable value for money.

My only complaint was that they take the bottle away and stick it on the side board and I had to ask them to top me up. I'm not sure if they were waiting for my wife to drink hers but i spent a long time with an empty glass. I'd have prefer it to have the bottle to hand. Who knows, if i had it to hand they may have sold another!

The wife has been back for lunch since with a group of friends celebrating another birthday and had a very good experience.

• Visited February 2014
Crawley, United Kingdom
“Living up to expectations...”
Reviewed March 16, 2014

We first went to this restaurant in 2012 and were blown away by the whole experience; food, wine and service amazing.

Having tried to go back in 2013, we were bitterly disappointed that it closed down, and when found out it had re-opened had to get back as soon as we could.

The only problem with such high expectations is that it is often difficult to live up to them; did we have too high a pedestal placed on our previous experience that it was doomed to fail?

I'm so pleased to say no; it was fabulous! We had 2 nights - taster menu the first night and a la carte the second. Taster menu was excellent; highlights being the scallop dish which went so well with assorted nut and blood orange combination. A la carte the next night equally if not better as we got to have the scallops again, but also got to try the pork (delicious), followed by the chocolate orange dessert which was sublime. The only issue is that hubby thinks he had a better dessert than me with the poached Pear, Almond and Cream combination. We will continue to debate this for many meals to come!

A huge thank you to Stephen who truly was a fantastic host; we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will continue to recommend this restaurant to all our friends and family for that 'something special' and without doubt will be back again.

Until next time!

Shelley and James Buchanan

Ebbw Vale, United Kingdom
“addictive food!”
Reviewed March 15, 2014

just back from another excellent lunch at the Crown. this time we had the 3 course meal extended with a cheeseboard, a very good bottle of wine and coffee with petit fours afterwards. the food is incredible and the service is outstanding too. we have stayed at the hotel before in combination with the 7 course tasting menu, a fabulous break. be quick and use the lunch offer starting at £17 for 2 courses, or treat your mum for a mothering sunday brunch.

Ross on Wye
“Superb, as good as ever”
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Under its previous owner, this place had a Michelin star. Now with Chris as chef and manager it is as good as ever. Excellent food, beautifully presented, super service, comfortable ambiance. Lunch menu, with three courses and two choices each course, was described as promotional and cost just over £20.