“New year's eve meal”

The Beaufort Coaching Inn & Brasserie
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Raglan
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We booked a new year's eve meal in the bistro at the Beaufort Arms, Raglan for the two of us plus two friends. The table was booked for 9pm and we had to prepay and preorder. Luckily I had kept the payment receipt from when we had paid the balance as this was recorded on the bill when it came as not having been paid. However, it was soon sorted. The meal itself was excellent and the service slick. Because we had pre-ordered there was hardly any waiting time between courses and we would have preferred a wait of say 10 or 15 minutes or so to let our food go down. I would guess they wanted us finished and out of there so they could relet our table although there were lots of empty tables around us by 9.30. We intended to go into the lounge for a drink after the meal but there was extremely loud live music in there, I mean deafening, so we left and went back to ours instead. I would recommend the Beaufort for a meal and intend to return.

2  Thank ChristabelSouthWales

Reviewed December 16, 2013

We've stayed here lots of times, when we visit relatives who live in Raglan. I LOVE the beer, the bars, the restaurant and the staff. Our rooms are always fine. This weekend we had two rooms, one double for my husband and me and a single for our son who is 22. The single was a bit small but our son wasn't planning on spending much time in there anyway so it didn't matter. We had drinks in the bar and had dinner for seven people in the restaurant and it was lovely. The service was flawless and the food was delicious. I suppose it is a bit expensive but for me, worth every penny. They have great wine, too. The atmosphere is generally relaxed and unhurried and that's why I like it. I can wind down a bit and enjoy myself.

ALSO, and this is really important! There is a reasonable amount of choice for people who don't eat meat. I had the mushrooms on toast and the butternut squash and I'm not even a vegetarian. I just like vegetables. And I like the Beaufort.

Room Tip: I prefer the main building to the stable block but that could just be a matter of choice.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jane N
Reviewed December 11, 2013

Called in for an evening meal, and we sat down with the menus were told by staff that we could not order for 15 minutes.
I was wondering why? the bar and restaurant weren't any where near full.
Normally you get told if there is a delay serving, not ordering.
Decided to leave and go elsewhere.
Staff were friendly. Just bad management.

Room Tip: It seems you need to stay to get good service, judging by the other ratings.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
beaufort20, Owner at The Beaufort Coaching Inn & Brasserie, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2013

Dear Janet the Gardener

Looking through both our own reviews and those on trip advisor I have noted that you last visited us during August 2013 and also last Christmas on both occasions without booking when both are very busy periods.

On the last occasion I advised you that because you could see some empty unoccupied tables this did not mean that our kitchens were not busy , as was the case on both occasions our private dining room which is not in view of the foyer or lounge bar was being prepared for a large 3 course dinner.

The member of staff was quite correct in advising you of a 15 minute gap before ordering as informing the guest at this point rather than when they have ordered gives them a chance to look elsewhere to eat if they have limited time.

In this particular instance you chose to move on, but from the comments you left regarding your new choice of venue you were again not happy to wait, not having booked in the Christmas period.

Rather than management not being aware of customer needs at The Beaufort, staff have been trained to keep customers aware of any delays to the benefit of all to make their choices. I would suggest that rather than the observations of a fleeting visit you would on a longer visit appreciate what both regular diners at the Beaufort and those staying overnight enjoy in the general ambience , its good food and welcoming staff at this quintessential village inn.

Reviewed December 9, 2013

We recently stayed for one night at this lovely hotel. On arrival we were warmly greeted by the lady in reception and we were upgraded to a beautiful room right at the front of the hotel overlooking the church. The room was beautifully decorated and very clean. We were meeting friends so this was a perfect location for our weekend. We booked a table for the brasserie for the evening which was lovely. The staff were extremely helpful, friendly and accommodating. We had service with a smile and nothing was a problem. We had a wonderful evening and continued into the lounge area with wooden tables and a lovely warm fire. The food was beautifully prepared, tasty and good value for money. We had a very relaxing stay and we would definitely recommend this hotel, its a gem!... We will be returning again as soon as we can.

Room Tip: Room number 7 is beautifully decorated and has a great view of the church.
2  Thank Frolicjane
Reviewed November 7, 2013

My wife and I stopped off on our way to Brecon and had a light lunch of soup and a sandwich and a chicken breast with wild mushroom tagletelle. The soup was bland and needed seasoning and the chicken breast was tiny and the pasta ok with slightly burnt Garlic bread. The staff were friendly and nice but I do not think it was value for money and would not recommend it to friends on our experience.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wouldliketostay
beaufort20, Owner at The Beaufort Coaching Inn & Brasserie, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

We apologise if your choice from the lite bites and starters section of the daytime menu did not meet your expectations, if you had mentioned shortcomings to the staff who you yourself describe as friendly and nice we could have rectified things there and then to your satisfaction.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

We recently stayed as a family and I can't really fault anything. The welcome on arrival, the rooms and the food were all wonderful and the staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank SamH2803
Reviewed October 30, 2013

My friend and I spent a very enjoyable afternoon in the Brasserie, having afternoon tea. Sandwiches - tuna & cucumber, beef, and egg mayo, with a good side salad. And then, the main event: gorgeous scone with loads of cream and strawberry jam, and a huge selection of cakes! The meringues were my favourite! Filled with fresh cream and strawberries and totally delicious!
Oh and great coffee!
The staff were friendly and helpful, and made our visit really pleasant.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank TinaHR
beaufort20, Owner at The Beaufort Coaching Inn & Brasserie, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

Dear Tina

Thank you for your generous comments about our afternoon tea which we have only recently introduced at The Beaufort. Our pastry chef takes great pride in all that she produces and is always encouraged when she receives a positive response to her work.
She is currently preparing a special festive afternoon tea which will be available for those wanting to make the afternoon the time to meet with friends and family for their seasonal celebrations.
Once again many thanks for your kind words and we look forward to seeing you again at The Beaufort.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Raglan
Glen-yr-Afon House Hotel
Llansantffraed Court
Llansantffraed Court
#2 of 3 in Abergavenny
The Priory Hotel & Restaurant
Three Salmons Hotel
St. Pierre Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Ramada Resort Cwrt Bleddyn Hotel & Spa

Been to The Beaufort Coaching Inn & Brasserie? Share your experiences!