“Goombay Smashes, Fabulous Food and Marina, Water View”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Staniel Cay
Staniel Cay Yacht Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Staniel Cay
Seattle, Washington
“Goombay Smashes, Fabulous Food and Marina, Water View”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

My husband and I are here on our sailboat and thoroughly enjoyed the Staniel Cay Yacht Club restaurant with another couple. From our excellent rum drinks, conch sandwiches and onion rings attentively and cheerfully served by Donna we were all too satisfied and full to have desert! Overlooking the marina and beautful tourquoise water was enchanting. We will be back as soon as we can!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Cathy S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
wv
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

This was a nice place to visit, very secluded and private. Great food and great staff, Nettie is a blessing and Carl is great. He makes great drinks. Everyone is great , staff, maid, everyone. Very peaceful. Quite. Boats need a little upgrade. Got stuck on Iguana Island, boat died and would not restart, was stranded for a while and called for help but no answer on radio. If stranded best place to be stranded. Finally two hours later and red hot faces with sun burn , tried boat again and eventually restarted. Santos is helpful. Nice location. Beautiful views, crystal clear waters. Can see nurse sharks swimming by and sting rays. Kayak first time and was beautiful.

Room Tip: location just great. Any will do-periwinkle great-stayed in orange-nice too
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mjohnsonWv
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

Stayed at the Yacht Club for a long weekend getaway and had a blast. We stayed in Lavender cottage and was perfect for the two of us. The cottage is right on the water and we heard the ocean all night when we opened the windows. Everything here was so clean and beautiful and the people not only at the club but all over the island were really friendly. The food was great, the service incredible, and the location out of this world.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Amanda G
Laguna Niguel, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

Now that my wife and I have experienced Staniel Cay Yacht Club on a first-hand basis, I agree with previous reviewers who would prefer to keep this little corner of the Bahamas a secret, but it would be unfair to the hard-working staff who strive to make your stay such an enjoyable and fulfilling experience.

First of all, the setting on one of the 300+ small islands which together comprise the Exuma Cays affords incredible boating on unbelievably clear water, including so many shades of blue that it is hard to believe unless you see it for yourself. There are innumerable beaches to see and visit, and depending on wind conditions, both the Atlantic and leeward sides of the cays are easily accessible.

Secondly, the Bahamian people are charming and friendly, and their genuine warmth is matched only by the hospitality of the American owner/proprietors, David and Christina Hocher, who represent the third generation of ownership in this venerable establishment. They are hand's-on operators who are often on the property, and they have successfully created an ambiance which is intimate while providing full service to all its guests, be they transient boaters staying at the marina or land-based visitors staying in one of the waterfront cottages.

Thirdly, we are boaters at home, so we especially appreciated the availability of the small runabout boats (included in the all-inclusive package) with which to visit nearby cays, of which there are myriad choices. Deep sea fishing or scuba diving options are also available through local guides with boats, but we were so mesmerized by exploring the cays that we ran out of time before being able to them on this visit. We also enjoyed the company of arriving boat guests each night at the bar, who seemed to come and go each day like the tide. The food served in the restaurant is far superior to what you may have experienced in other all-inclusive resorts, and delicious box lunches are packed for you each day as you explore the cays in your boat. We also happened to be at Staniel Cay Yacht Club on Valentine's Day, and they prepared a special menu to celebrate the occasion.

Finally, the best evidence of our new-found love of this beautiful island experience is that my wife is already asking me to re-book our next visit. If you love water-oriented destinations in casually intimate locations, Staniel Cay Yacht Club will not disappoint you!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank stephen g
Framingham, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

I really don't want to write this review because I'd rather keep Staniel Cay Yacht Club one of my little secrets but looks like the cat's out of the bag already so here goes...there is no place like this on earth as my title states. I don't have enough time to write everything I love about Staniel but let me say this, it is worth every penny.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lifeintheham
Vienna, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

I highly recommend visiting at least once during New Year's it was a completely different experience than our first trip. There is a lot more going on, it is worth the extra money that you pay as well. The pirate party was fun, we enjoyed dressing up and the energy of that. My husband was in the top 3 pirates and may have won if we would not have went to bed so early before they picked the winner! New Year's Eve Bash was AWESOME!!! Masquerade theme was fun we loved seeing all the masks, the fireworks at midnight, the beautiful yachts all decorated I love walking the dock at night, and the locals drumming after midnight was a lot of fun too! The sailing regatta was wild and fun(a truly once in a lifetime experience). I will go again, but likely not during New Year's(been there once for that event. I do not feel I have to repeat it as our domestic air travel through the holiday was crazy expensive)

We flew over from Fort Lauderdale Executive on Watermaker's Air(no price increase for holiday which was nice) and I would recommend them(you can bring 2 bottles each of wine or liquor if you want in your suitcase-if you take the wine to dinner with you there is a corking fee, but that is fine if you want a particular wine which we did).

I do NOT recommend Lane's Limos for ground transfer in Fort Lauderdale he left us stranded at the airport(not cool at all email me for particulars it was awful) we called South Florida Limos and they were accommodating I would use them again.

We stayed in the new Sea Glass cottage and no issue with gas fumes(it is right beside Buttonwood where I hope to stay next time). We loved this cottage and the larger boat with a steering wheel and larger gas tank.

The owner and his wife were both lovely, he handled a minor issue we had immediately and by himself. They truly care and love the guests, the yacht club, the employees, and the locals :)

SCYC is truly my favorite place on earth I will go back again for sure!

Room Tip: Loved Sea Glass and 17ft whaler
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DoctorMT
Guayaquil, Guayas, Ecuador
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

First of all: Don't confuse experience at Staniel Cay, with experience at Staniel Cay Yatch Club. I think many readers might get tricked but I hope you understand what I meant at the end

Going here was a dream come true, not only to Staniel Cay but to the Exumas. It's definitely a once in a life time experience and I'm pretty sure there are few places around like this. We booked SCYC for 6 nights, and I was lucky to book 3 at Periwinkle and 3 at Buttonwood, both with the all-inclusive (which isn't a should, it's a MUST). Periwinkle was a beautiful 2-story suite, 2 baths, big comfy bed and a small living room downstairs I'll guess can be used as another room if needed to. I didn't have the opportunity to visit other cottages, but Periwinkle for us was the best. The wife used the downstairs' bath in early morning to get ready while I bath upstairs or vice versa. It was awesome to have a bathroom downstairs as when you come back from boating & snorkeling you can wash your stuff and don't make a huge mess around your belongings, bed, etc. Periwinkle comes with the 13-foot whaler which was quite an experience. I've never boated in my life and the intro course was just a 50sec one. I was afraid but what the hell! It was cool, but as I was able to notice at the time of my booking the 13 ft. whaler lacked of Bimini top, steering wheel and obviously a bigger fuel tank to explore beyond Compass Cay. For me it was quite an experience trying to turn on the damn thing, it was a little bit harder than expected to pull the starter. Nevertheless the boat was good to explore the closer islands and learn how to ride it. It's a rough ride you must know as my wife and I were with our buttocks all sored on the first night =D. The all-inclusive has 3 included meals (breakfast, lunch in SCYC or lunch 2go, dinner). With this I've an important tip. Take just one lunch 2go, and have your couple's at the club, it's better that way, because the lunch 2go is just one sandwich, small pringles, fresh fruit and a beverage, while the lunch at the club has an entree and a main course & a beverage, and believe me it's so big & so good, you'll almost full for dinner (which is btw also huuge). Get friends with Carl, for us he made our trip, he was very caring all the time, and at least with us it didn't matter how many people where there, we just asked him to take our order and he gladly did. The staff is friendly, but we were unable to meet them completely, I remember Rhonda as one of the best waitress. Food is extraordinary, I loved the Bahamian bread, oooohh the BTL sandwich, OMG, I could just return for eating one of those again. The ribs are tasty, the onion rings are huge, be sure that you can have any complaint, but we food I'm pretty sure you won’t.

After 3 nights we changed rooms from Periwinkle to Buttonwood. Almost twice the price for basically the same, I paid the premium not for the room but for the boat and it was worth it, or kind of. Buttonwood is part of the new hillside cottages, is very fancy but pretty small compared with Periwinkle, we got so used to 2 baths, 1 room, 1 living room that we felt it was small, but at least you feel somewhat compensated with the view, and I mean somewhat because the main time to enjoy the view is before the breakfast in early morning, and happens that you're almost immediately overwhelmed by a concentrated smell of fuel due to the refueling of all the whalers. It's important to note this because the smell is really strong and could be annoying sometimes (note that you only smell it outside the cottage, not inside). SCYC has only 3 17ft whalers, they're 100% fully functional, but they're not well maintained in terms of little details. 1st day the Bimini top rope broke, not the rope but what is supposed to be bolted to the boat and grabs the rope. It was uncool because that thing kept flying all over the air and I needed to grab it with my hands to avoid being k.o by it and to hold the Bimini top itself, my wife had to ride the boat which isn't difficult as you got the steering wheel. When we returned we asked them to fix it, as we liked our whaler, but in the next morning the whaler had the same problem so we asked for another one, they did it just because they remembered I asked them to fix that thing the day before but they forgot it. The new boat had a good Bimini top, sadly exactly the same thing happened, one of the "bolted" attachments went loose and the Bimini was dancing all over. It's not that we went too fast, because I was able to notice that some of the attachments were new or were in a different position vs. the originals as there were some holes in the whaler. The steering wheel was a little bit rougher than the 1st one, but we were able to manage the 2nd day as well. 3rd day guess what, the saaaame problem, that's why I'm saying it’s those details that SCYC has to take care of in order to make it a pleasant experience while you go out boating. The 17 whaler was enough with full tank (even though we returned with half) to roundtrip to Land & Sea Park which is another must if you enjoy snorkeling.

All in all the experience to have your own boat, take it at 9am after an awesome breakfast, go wherever the hell you want, with almost nobody round there is an awesome experience. There are lots of good places to boat, snorkel, beach & obviously to meet/greet/feed the pigs. The food is 10/10, and the stay is 9/10. Some little changes and attention to little details could make the whole experience the best one. At the end of the day, Staniel Cay experience & vacation is by far the best one we've had so far in terms of relaxation, wonderful beaches full of turquoise water and food you'll definitely miss.

Room Tip: New cottages are cool, have fancier stuff. But most of all are sadly victims in the morning of an un...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
#3 of 23 in Andros
The Pointe Resort
The Pointe Resort
#2 of 5 in Andros

Been to Staniel Cay Yacht Club? Share your experiences!