“Second time as good as first!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Club Med Columbus Isle

Club Med Columbus Isle
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in San Salvador
Lititz, Pennsylvania
“Second time as good as first!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2014

Just returned from a great week at Columbus Isle. This trip we took our 19 and 22 year old daughters who had a great time!.
The resort is very nice and was full as it was French Vacation time. There were more kids than normal and for a village with no kids club, can be a challenge but the GO's did a great job. JC and his amazing team, especially JuJu who hopefully will have his own village soon! are the best. I have never met a pair of managers who knew what was going on all over village and were so visible. We knew that at 830am when tennis lesson started they would visit and then they would be walking the beach and at tennis tournament start at 430 and then at dinner. Great ambassadors. We will follow them to whatever village they at!
The sailing team rocked. they had to deal with some bad weather but were very patient in dealing with all types of requests. Kudo's to Pierce, Amanda and leader Mamado who are the best. They took care of us whether sailing or kayak or paddle board. Amanda would make a great chief of sport and there is not a nicer person than Pierce!
Tennis was a little lacking. no cohesion on team. Felt that two team members isolated the one non french speaker and gave her larger workload. Example, one lesson she had 8 people and one of guys took additional 1 person by self and left her with all 8. There is not lots of coaching at this village by tennis team like there is at other villages. if you want good lessons then not the place. nice courts, nice people but just very general exercises not overly coaching. Tournaments ran well though. Barb did great job considering team support.
Food. Ivan and his team does a great job. Each meal was great and lots of selection. sometimes not all variety you want due to all produce having to be imported but the kitchen staff was amazing.
Take bug spray. Mosquitoes and Sand fleas. take after bite or meds to deal with them and follow instructions in room for dealing with Sand Fleas. only problem i have here is i always get lots of bites!
One of my favorite club meds due to existing staff and the great location. looking forward to renovations this early fall and will be back!

Room Tip: Try and stay in rooms to north of pool area. Close to tennis, beach bar and theater. second floor ni...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Ron K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
  • Turkish first
seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014

my wife and I just returned from our fourth trip to this club med in 6 years. we live in Seattle so took the spirit airlines charter from Fort Lauderdale. that airport for departures is a zoo with inadequate seating for the number of flight using the terminal. the return flight was much better and we connected easily for our Alaska Airlines nonstop back to Seattle.
we had our usual room #618 thanks to our travel agent Melody from Kennedy Kruises.
room was excellent, second floor, facing the beach at the north end of the property.
we instantly made friends with lots of the staff. in particular Aldo Mata (from Spain), JuJu (julian) the assistant chief and comedian, Jean-Christophe (chief of Village…very approachable and friendly, just make the effort to get to know him), Courtney from Nevada in charge of the choreography and others.
we bought our 45 tee shirts from the boutique on arrival and my wife signed up to be a participant
in the fashion show on Thursday. She was partnered with Aldo, she led off the show and had a blast. she then got a 20% discount on some of the clothes she modeled.
we enjoyed almost all of the activities as we love to participate. I called ahead to get the dress code for the evenings as we like dressing up and I competed each night with Jean-Christophe to see who had the more accurate clothes for the night.
I went for an hours run every morning just before sunrise along the road past the airport that goes north along the beach..fantastic..but no company from other guests.
we went to all the evening shows. one of the highlights was the song and dance routine by Phillip from the kitchen (he does the baking). He was unbelievably good and we will miss him.
I made friends with Pedro (in charge of cleaning the pool) as I ended up there every morning ayer my run.
the food quality was excellent as always. highlight for me was the freshly caught 85lb Wahoo.
we enjoyed the beach bar in the afternoon. we mostly sat around the pool during the day and avoided any bug bites but did beach walks every day. this is our favorite beach and we also travel frequently to the South Pacific (I am from New Zealand originally).
Next time I would like to go for longer than 7 days as it always seems to end too quickly.
we will be back.

Room Tip: second floor for the best view, particularly of the sunsets
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

The title speaks for itself! But of course I will explain why this was the best vacation I have ever taken…

When you are about to land at the airport, looking out the window at this tiny island surrounded by amazing white sand and the most beautiful turquoize water you know you are officially in paradise. it's truly something out of a dream and I have never seen anything so beautiful in my life!
The airport is walking distance from the village and friendly GO's meet you as soon as you get your Passport stamped. Sarah is in charge of transportation of guests and she is a breath of fresh air! I also met Garry there and LOVE him! So sweet and down-to-earth. We had the pleasure of dining with her a couple times throughout our stay and I hope to see her again!

Once you arrive at the village you are warmly greeted by most of the GO's clapping and already entertaining us with their energy. it is the best way to remind a guest that you are officially on vacation and to check your cares at the door!

Following our mini-tour of our room and certain spots in the village we went straight to the Beach Bar (a spot we found ourselves migrating too often). How could you not though, it's a few steps away from the water and so amazing to just stare at the ocean and get lost in the beauty. Anne, Dembo, Steven & Catherine were our bartenders most of the time and always took care of us with wonderful drinks! They were all so friendly and inviting.

The housekeeping staff do a great job and you can tell they notice the little things. They always kept our room stocked with bottles of water (it's a must with all the drinking you do!)

The food was always AMAZING and there was never a lack of something to eat. Between each meal there was always a table set up somewhere with something yummy to enjoy. Marco is one of the chefs that we met and he was so nice! My husband met a few other chefs when he went diving and they were all extremely nice. It was my aunts birthday and her cake was soooo good!

The sport staff were great and very informative. Pokine, Pierce and the lovely Amanda. They offered sailing, kayaking, wind-surfing and paddle-boarding. I tried kayaking and sailing. Pierce was great at helping my husband with a refresher lesson and i just sat back for the beautiful ride.

The head choreographer is Courtney; she is extremely bubbly and always smiling. She is in charge of 6 different shows and I found out that they change from time to time. She has the task of teaching other willing GO's the dance routines (in a limited amount of time). That means they have to learn all the moves when they are not working at their normal job. Late nights seem to be filled with rehearsing. Courtney ams to have a little fan club amongst the pre-teen crowd and it is extremely cute to watch.
Juju and Pokine seem to be the VJ's for the shows and crazy signs. They do a great job!

The shows are very entertaining and the comedy show is hilarious! I especially liked Gatsby, Cleopatra and Seven (7 deadly sins). NoNo is the set designer and Benoit is the costume designer. They do an AMAZING job!!! Especially if you consider that they are limited on supplies. Their talent is unbelievable!

I received a massage from Isabella and it was amazing!!! Definitely worth it!

My family and I went on the excursion to High Cay and it was the absolute best day of the entire trip!! Snorkeling, exploring the lagoon and then a lobster lunch with too many rum punches to count! Captain Jackson, Josh and the entire excursion team made our day so amazing and memorable!

The rooms are definitely old but who cares?! I only slept and showered in my room. I didn't care one bit. The village is beautiful and very well kept.
It is a far walk to get to certain locations but I didn't care, with all the eating and drinking involved it is not a bad thing to get some light exercise in.

Last but not least, my family and I noticed how hard all the staff and GO's work. I always see someone setting up something and taking down something else. The work everyone does seems to be never-ending. My hat certainly goes off to all the staff at Columbus Isle! It never went un-noticed!

I look forward to visiting Columbus Isle again and again!!

Room Tip: Skip the Garden Rooms
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank AndreaLW1222
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014

I had an amazing time here, truly. I would recommend it to anyone. The beach was amazing, and the staff were unbelievable good. But... There was an incident.. At sailing a girl staff member was swung at and choked by another staff member who was male. I really hope this gets dealt with as that is unacceptable behaviour in any work environment, especially in a public area where guests can see (regardless of the area it is inappropriate).

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Taylor K
Ipswich, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2014 via mobile

This is our third time to this club. We return for the following reasons: it is a smaller club therefore you get to know other guests and the GOs, it doesn't have kids clubs so less children, it's quieter, it has a beautiful beach, great tennis, and spectacular food.

We had a standard club room in the 500s, nice view and quiet. Our adult son and daughter had a classic room described has 2 bedrooms connected by a bath. It was a badly furnished dorm room- fogged up little windows, ripped off the wall and broken hair dryer, chipped,wobbly table. I was embarrassed to have brought them there and tried to move them but there was not one other room available.

The club is planning an expansion and gradual renovation beginning in April 2014. The renovation is needed in the rooms and public spaces.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Ruth H
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

I had a great time in Columbus Isle, made best by the friendly staff. The tennis instructor, Barbara, gave great lessons out on the court and was a pleasure to get to know. Fred, the lifeguard, heroically jumped in the pool in an effort to save me. She was wonderful, and I really loved the water aerobics!
There's also a ton to do out on the beach alongside drinking and reading, like taking boating or windsurfing lessons. Pierce, a GO, really was helpful in instructing and getting me out onto the water. I also ran into him on the dive boat, and he was very friendly.
All in all the place was great, my room and food was great, and it was a real good time. Take the time to know the GOs, for dinners and time with Barbara, Fred and Pierce really were the highlight of the week. Cheers to them!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Hilton Head SC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014

I cannot say enough -we had another fabulous week at Columbus Isle. 1/31-2/7/14. Chief de village was away so a wonderful associate was there to welcome us throughout the week. All the GO's were great, especially Antonio in Reception,Barbara and YoAn in tennis,Ashley,POKINE!,missed Bryce,
Food as usual was spectacular and the shows were great. This was my fourth stay at this wonderful resort-I return each year and have made some wonderful friendships with other devotees like Bibi and Linda and Albert. Only one complaint, our room was too far away!
See you next year!

Room Tip: rooms are chosen for you but you can request a side or location after arriving.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
#6 of 23 in Andros
Harbor Breeze Villas
Harbor Breeze Villas
#1 of 2 in Clarence Town

Been to Club Med Columbus Isle? Share your experiences!