“Great place!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in San Salvador
Montreal, Canada
“Great place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

I have spend a week with friends. The beach is beautiful, very clean and the water very clear. The GO's are great always nice and very friendly. The tennis clay courts were great. The sailing equipment is in good conditions and the body balance class was good, maybe a little redundant but good anyway. The food was great, even if it was a buffet. It was a wonderful experience, I will definitely be returning. Walking distance from the airport is fantastic too, you can enjoy the club more longer! The renovations to come will only make it better!

Room Tip: Make sure not to get what were call the "bonker", individual houses with 2 rooms (single b...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Turkish first
Burlington, VT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

We stayed in the Village from November 9-16th. It was our first time in San Salvador and our second time at Club Med (we visited Turkoise last January).
The beach is spectacular! Simply perfect- expansive, Club Med has a half mile of beach in front with no other buildings. Plenty of palapas were available and other guests were very respectful.
The water is clear and warm- stunning!
The food was just fine, drinks were too- top shelf liquor was available on request (some at an additional charge). Wine was fair to poor but it depends on what you're used to- a white, red & blush was available at each meal.
We were able to sit at a private 2 top for each meal which was a relief as we're not into community tables (vs. Turkoise).
The room was adequate, as described. Staff was friendly. Great yoga/stretching classes! We will definitely be back but the extra day on either end in Ft.Lauderdale was a bit of a strain (the charter flight didn't allow us to fly in & out same day).

You will love it if your expectations are in line with what is offered!

Room Tip: Pay for the 2nd floor balcony rooms- definitely worth it!
Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank vttravelers123
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

A group of 9 friends spent Nov. 2-9 at Columbus Isle. This is our third vacation at this location Following is a summary of that trip:

We arrive at Ft. Lauderdale Int'l Airport for the flight. The Club Med rep met us at check-in and was extremely helpful toward all aspects of the flight to San Salvador. Hotel check-in was smooth and well organized beginning with pick-up at the San Salvador Airport.
Rooms were clean, but were showing some age and in need of rehab... for example, new air conditioning room systems. Overall, the front desk staff was pleasant, professional and prompt. addressing any issues that arose. Room and cleaning staff were also very responsive.
My group were mostly tennis players. The condition of the clay courts (Har true, I think) were definitely improved over the previous visit. Tennis courts should have ice available and a foot tray to clean the tennis shoes.
My wife, who is not a tennis player, hoped for more diversity of exercise classes. She also commented that the instructors of the ones she attended were mostly in French vs French/English. We did take a stretch class most mornings with Melinda, and found this session to be an excellent way to start the day.
The snorkeling was wonderful and the crew managed the trip professionally.
The food was wonderful and all meals had plenty of options. There is definitely something for everybody. The staff was courteous and attentive.
The evening shows were very entertaining and the GO's did a great job....lots of energy, enthusiasm and talent.

Room Tip: Top floor / ocean view...worth the upgrade.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

We spent 1 week at Columbus Isle. The beach is beautiful, the GO's were great. Anne at reception was wonderful. We are picky travelers and she accommodated to all of our needs. David, at the diver center, took us on a wonderful trip around the island and shared interesting information about San Salvador. If you can get him to take you on a tour, it is worth it. Melinda and Barbara were great too. Barbara helped with all of our tennis needs and Melinda helped us stay in shape. The zumba and stretching classes were great. The food was wonderful, even thong it was a buffet. If you have special dietary needs they will accommodate you. All the kitchen staff was so kind, Carnelee made me fresh salads daily. The sports team was super amazing; Amanda, James, Mamaduo and Pokine were so helpful with sailing, paddle boarding, and kayaking. We would definitely come back. I highly recommend for a great week alone with your lover.

Room Tip: Splurge and get the ocean view rooms.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Worldtraveler0201060
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

The location is great the food is good the staff is friendly and the entertainment coordinators try their very best to make sure guests are entertained - food is good lot of variety which includes a lot of French cooking style

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank Dicedpineapples
Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

This was our first experience with a Club Med or an all-inclusive resort and we had a wonderful relaxing time. We selected this CM to stay at this past February because we had never been to the Bahamas and were looking for a place where my husband (being an experienced fly fisherman) could catch his first bonefish and I could enjoy the beautiful blue ocean and the soft sandy beach. There being an infinite number of possibilities, Columbus Isle was a fantastic choice because staying there was so effortless.
The super friendly GOs surprised us at first but it was great to have so many personable people around the resort who were genuinely interested in us and wanted to make sure we had a good time. The resort is secluded as it has a gorgeous miles-long beach to itself with dazzling clear turquoise blue water. We loved the laid back atmosphere and un-crowded feeling. The food was tasty and there were many options at each meal that changed from day to day (though I learned to skip the scrambled eggs). The breads were delicious and the table wine that was provided was quite good. The GOs that staffed the bars were very welcoming and were always ready to fill our glasses with whatever we wanted. We dined at the reservation restaurant twice and though the menu was limited to 4 or five choices for each of the courses, we found the food to be quite delicious and gourmet quality. It had been easy to get a reservation at reception earlier that day and the wait staff accommodated our last minute request to combine 2 groups at one table as we wanted to continue the conversation that we had started while waiting for our tables.
We found our 2nd floor ocean view room to be very comfortable and we were very pleased that we had upgraded. The view of the blue ocean framed by palm trees from our balcony was absolutely beautiful. There is no privacy from your neighbor’s balcony but as we made great friends of our neighbors the first day, it was not a problem. We did find English speaking guests to be a minority but most everyone was friendly and we were encouraged to sit with other people at meals. Though there sometimes were language barriers, everyone tried hard to get to know each other. We made several good friends while there and our time with them made our trip that much more enjoyable. We didn’t do much of the activities because of the weather and our laziness, but I did have the best massage of my life the last day and wished with all my heart that I could repeat the experience.
There were a few rainy days and it was a little cool and windy at the beginning of the week. Even though the weather was not ideal, we had a relaxing time sitting on the porch, playing cards, talking and drinking.
We chose this CM over Turkoise because they listed a flats-fishing trip among their excursions. My only complaint (and it is a big one) is that before I made the reservation I questioned the resort personnel by email about the opportunities for my husband to fish. I wanted to make sure he had the experience he wanted as we would start our trip on his birthday. I was told that they offered the flats-fishing excursion every day but did not run it unless there were 4 people signed-up. When questioned about alternatives should that happen, I was assured that the staff would arrange for an outside fishing guide. On the day we arrived we found the excursion desk and inquired about the fishing. We learned that the excursions were not run by CM but by another company. We were told that the fishing guide that runs the excursion was not on the island because of a family emergency. When we asked about other options, we were told they would work on it and call us in our room. We never heard anything from them even though we repeated our request a few days later. Finally as it was getting close to the end of the week, my husband started asking the staff if they knew any fishing guides. He finally found a guide on his own and was able to spend our last day finally fishing the flats on the other side of the island with a knowledgeable guide and had an exciting time catching a couple bonefish. We were very disappointed that he had to do this by himself. When we returned home I sent emails to the person I had originally contacted but got no response. I also noted the problem on a feedback form that I filled out online at the request of Club Med. I have not heard anything from them either. This is a big black mark on an otherwise awesome trip. I know CM was not responsible for the lack of fishing trip but I would assume that they would want to know that this group is not fulfilling their promises.
We plan to visit the Cancun Club Med this winter because we had such a great time at Columbus Isle and hope that this was just a glitch in an otherwise efficiently run resort.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view room on the second floor. Definitely worth the extra $$! If you want quiet ask for...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 2plus3CT
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

I've been to other Club Meds (Turks and Caicos being a long time favorite), but this was my first time at Columbus Isle. It was also my first "family" resort and I wasn't quite sure what to expect. I met countless wonderful people...families, couples, and a few traveling solo. As others have mentioned, the beach is spectacular-sailing, snorkeling, water skiing...can't be beat! The G.O. team was one of the most cohesive I've ever encountered. As a group, and individually, they went above and beyond expectations to make certain guests were happy and had what they needed. Of particular note were: Giulia at reception who I met 2 years ago in Turks and was my fairy godmother in helping me upgrade to the most incredible room. She graced our table for a number of dinners and it was lovely reconnecting with her. Bryce from sailing was impressively well read. Someone should really record his stories, anecdotes, and experiences for posterity. Todd, ((I'm truly grateful for the fan you sent to my room when you heard the a/c was acting up), who seemed to know what I wanted to drink before I even realized I was thirsty. Alayna, from reception who was always as nice as could be and another favorite dinner companion. Dyeson, who encouraged me to get back on water skis after too many years to count and made me feel like I was on top of the world when I got right up and stayed up for the course. Quentin, the choreographer extraordinaire and super sweet. Antonio, thank you for being so fabulous! The highest of accolades to all the servers and kitchen staff for the beautifully presented and truly delicious food! Apologies, since I know I'm leaving people out, but you get the picture. This team set the bar high for all others. Practical tips-take the bug spray for sure, and never bring used beach towels into your room. Once the sand fleas set up shop they'll never leave!

Room Tip: Although you really won't spend much time in the room, I would avoid the club rooms as they'...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
#2 of 23 in Andros
Harbor Breeze Villas
Harbor Breeze Villas
#1 of 2 in Clarence Town

Been to Club Med Columbus Isle? Share your experiences!