“Fantastic week at Club Med again!”

Club Med Columbus Isle
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in San Salvador
virginia
“Fantastic week at Club Med again!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

This was my 3rd trip to Columbus Isle in 3 years and it was the best week so far. My room (club room with ocean view) was perfect - the shower and water pressure were excellent, and the beds are super comfortable. The food was much better than in previous years. My only complaint is the wine list is very limited. The tennis was the best ever - Thibault and Joe were awesome - with such a great tennis facility, Club Med should always have top-notch pros like these guys. The sailing team was so awesome (love the addition of paddleboards): Bryce - my fave , Evan, Cammie, Mamadou; Jeon, Fred, Julia, Jessica, Matthieu (who sailed with us), Thibault (as an entertainer), Marcel, Kaylie, Stephanie - all of you made my week so special! The Chef de Village, Charles, and Vincent were great too, and much more present than other chefs I have met. Seafari Bahamas - you are the best: Jean-Paul, Susan, Beth, Tanya, Glen, David, Tisbeth - what a great experience. The snorkeling and diving are absolutely incredible! The weather was not great during the week, but it made no difference to me - This was the best GO team I have ever spent a week with at Club Med! FYI, this is a very french Club, so it helps if you can speak the language or just be prepared. The staff in the restaurant were great too, from the wait-staff to the chefs...In my opinion, the shows, the entertainment (the sports team spectacle in the pool was sooo good), the food, and the GO's were up an entire level from last year. Can't wait to go back again in 2014....

Room Tip: Make sure that you have a Club room ocean view - it is definitely worth the extra $, and I hear the...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Elizabeth D
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Columbus Isle, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear geckogirlVirginia,
Thanks for the review. We're glad you were pleased with our rooms, dining options, tennis, entertainment, sailing, and service. Once again, thanks for the review and we can't wait to see you next year!
Your Club Med Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Turkish first
Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

it is paradise... beautiful environment, friendly people. predominately french, so that is a draw back if you dont speak the language. the "go's" really make the place. there were a few standouts... jeon who is the manager of the sports team really made a difference in my trip. he made me feel comfortable and made sure that i was understanding the language and the procedures. and so much fun!!!!!! all of his team was great too; so it probably trickles down from the top (jeon). try it you will like it!!! one other drawback... at night they close the disco to put on the show every night, which i didnt like. not much to do if you dont appreciate the show. the disco does open up again after the show, but there is about an hour or two with nothing to do. but all in all a great place, again especially because of the GOs (jeon)!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear DINI601,
Thanks for the review! We are so happy to hear that our staff was able to exceed your expectations during your stay. Will will be passing your kind words on to the staff members you have mentioned. Once again, thanks for sharing this review with us and we hope to see you soon!
Zurich
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

This ClubMed resort is a bit rundown due to age. None the less, it is a wonderful place for vacations, especially for couples without children and scuba divers.

Like all ClubMeds; the food in the buffet restaurant is excellent - I didnt try the à la carte restaurant - with very varied choices and daily themes. The activities are continuous and wide. The rooms are spacious, clean and quite well designed even if old, the toilets are in back of the washroom and separate!!! Why not always like that? The beach is very long as well as with great sand and low waves due to the reef. Nearly all rooms have a direct view of the ocean although the rooms on the ground floor (300 and 500 series) might not see too much of it due to the vegetation. Just make sure you have enough of a good insect repellent. The sand flees are a real pest whereas mosquitos seem to be rare, at least when I was there in February.

The service everywhere - reception, houskeeping, bar, boutique, buffet restaurant or even for the laundry - is almost as good as in Mauritius (Plantation d'Albion), with very little difference at that. That is a real compliment as Albion is a five trident (five star) resort while Columbus Isle has four tridents. Let me put it this way, the negative list, for the personnel, in this resort is very short, no one. The management can be found everywhere to greet you, help out and make you feel at home. Again, why isn't it always like that?

The sport activities vary from tennis, snorkling to scuba diving while some wind surfing (material not too good though) and hobby catamaran is possible.

I only did the scuba diving myself and I was surprised by the variety and beauty of the dive spots with canyons, sandbanks, great drops and quite a lot of different fish. The number of fish is small - no huge schools - but with different types of sea animals: turtles, crabs, lobsters, reef sharks, morays, southern stingrays and even some scorpionfish, just to name the most interesting ones I saw out of the dozens I could name. The diving school, by the way, is also very good. The dive boats are spacious and the team is excellent. About the best dive school I've seen so far.

Do not expect any life outiside of the club since San Salvador does not really have much on bars or restaurants but I do recommend to do the Lagune excursion with the lobster lunch. That lunch is great. Carefull though with the rum punch, it does have "punch"!

Although the "international" airport is at walking distance from the resort, there is no need to worry about airplane noise. Other than some privat planes, there are only three connections per week - Montreal (Tuesday), Paris (Wednesday) and Fort Lauderdale (Saturday) and one turboprop per day from Nassau. All arrive and leave in the daytime.

From where the flights arrive also tells you from where the majority of the people come from and what language they speak. Don't worry though, almost every one employed in the Club speaks English along with French, in case the latter is not your favorite.

In short, I can really recommend this resort, even with the above provisos.

Room Tip: Just make sure you don't get rooms in the low (under 23) numbers out of the 500 and 600 series o...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Columbus Isle, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear AndyPn,
Thanks for sharing this review with us! We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed our dining options, resort activities, staff service, and sports. We appreciate the the feedback you have provided here. Once again, thanks for the review and we hope to see you soon.
Peyton, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

Just returned from Columbus Isle. We were there Feb. 2-9, 2013.
Booked our trip on their website. It was the "sale" they were having. The room shown on the website is NOT what we got at all. We were given a bungalow room. Basically a separate little house, if you will. This room was very run down, paint peeling, yellow and brown spots on walls, chipped and stained floor tiles, cracked floor molding, all of the handles were askew, hooks missing from curtain so it sagged, even single ply toilet paper! Plus it was a weird set up. Upon opening the door straight ahead was the bathroom area, closed off by cloth partitions (which were also torn and stained), to the right a small room with a double bed, to the left a small room with a single bed. Not up to Club med standards. It was just plain dingy and put together with no care. Website shows a "club" room. So buyer beware, if you book the sale you will get this bungalow room.
Moving on.....I did get help from Julia, at front desk reception, to move to an ocean view club room for an upgraded price. A much nicer room. The same type of room we got when we were at this property 5 years ago. What I didn't understand was that 5 years ago we got the "sale" as well and had a nice "club" room at that time. My advice would be to talk to a representative to make sure you are getting a "club" room if you book this on line. It is well worth it.
The property itself is more rundown. We did not know that Hurricane Sandy hit this island. It shows.
BUT the beach area is still awesome, one of the best. It is so spread out and never too crowded. That was our main reason for going back. Food was excellent as well. The specialty restaurant, Watlings, does a fabulous job. Great breads and desserts too!
We also took a sailing lesson for the first time with Bryce. He did a great job instructing us and we had a nice conversation. Thanks Bryce.
Overall: disappointed at how run down it has gotten. They say they are going to start renovating this summer. We also had issues this time with sand fleas and got bitten up.
Bring bug repellent.

Room Tip: Book a "club" room, not a bungalow. Get ocean view, worth it.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Diana D
Dear Diana D,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We're happy to hear that you were pleased with our beaches, dining options and service. However, we are very sorry that our aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations. Please know that this is not the norm for our resort. Once again, thank you for sharing this with us and we hope we can have the chance to prove ourselves to you in the future.
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

We spent one week in February 2013 in this resort, and this was a really enjoyable experience. We really enjoyed the sports activities, specially the tennis and snorkeling. Besides, the island is quite nice (beautiful beach) and the food was excellent!
I only give it 4/5 because the room was a bit "old" and it would be nicer if they would be refreshed. Try to ask for a room a bit away from the pool, this way it will be quieter and you will not be disturbed by the noise of the activities.

Room Tip: Avoid the "simple" rooms and ask at least for a Club room; almost all the club rooms have...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Thom2121
Dear Thom2121,
Thanks for the review! We're thrilled that you enjoyed our snorkeling, tennis, and other resort activities. Once again, thanks for the review and we hope you choose to stay with us again soon.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

Hi everyone,

I came back from Club Med located in Columbus Isle (but do not expect anything grand about Columbus) two weeks ago. In brief, that was a nice escape from London’s gray and cold weather, but it was not the best vacation ever. Not because of the Club itself (I’ll come to that in a minute), but basically because the site is just about a beach which, actually, is not really well located. Imagine that you face the beach, but that the sun is most of the day in your back. So if you want to feel the sun, you then have to lie with your back to the sea. Mmm, not ideal. Furthermore, there is not much to see and do on the isle, but to be fair, that’s why some other people like it very much; just be aware of it. On another note, when I booked (in December through the UK call center), they “forgot” to tell me that it would not be possible to practice waterskiing!!! Once on the premises, I was told that waterskiing is only on in summer; how disappointing. But the people in Columbus are not to be blamed for that.
For the rest, i.e. the club in itself, the GOs really make the best of it. All GOs are helpful and I have to say that you can feel that there a nice atmosphere is reigning there. Special mention to the animation team and the people in charge of the shows in the evening (Not only Quentin, but the all the guys behind it –costumes, sound, etc.) are outstanding. Food is just fine They don't really how to make cocktails on a standard basis (never had the same Mojito twice), but this is a detail.
With regard to the activities, because I could not go waterskiing and I because I do not dive, I went sailing (catamaran) every day in a very gentle and encouraging atmosphere thanks to Bryce, James, Mamadou, Camille and Evan. I was a beginner and encourage me to come back, practice, participate in the small regattas they organize twice a week, etc. Lots of fun. Nice team you have there!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Ferris B
Dear Ferris B,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed our sailing and that our staff was helpful during the entirety of your visit. However, we're sorry to hear that other aspects of your trip did not meet your expectations. Once again, thanks for the review and we hope you choose to stay with us again in the near future.
Naples
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

I was looking for a kitesurfing destination so thought I would try Club Med on San Salvador. I enjoyed the Club Med and thought it was a good value. The wind on San Salvador is usually from the east so it is off-shore at the Club Med. However there are beautiful spots on the east side of the island. I was able to have a great week of lessons and kiting with Richard Maximo, local instructor. I appreciated that Club Med allowed Richard to drive to my room where we would load up and drive/boat to some fabulous spots.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank L A
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Columbus Isle, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear L A,
Thank you for the review of Club Med Columbus Isle. We're so excited that you truly enjoyed your kite surfing experience. Once again, thanks for the kind words and we look forward to having you back soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Salvador
#3 of 23 in Andros
Harbor Breeze Villas
Harbor Breeze Villas
#1 of 2 in Clarence Town

Been to Club Med Columbus Isle? Share your experiences!